advertisement

September 9th for Beatles mono LPs...

Has anybody compared the new copies to original mono first issues yet as I have most mono first issues in ex condition and would not want to shell out for this new set unless it was better than the first issues.

In the MF interview I posted earlier he said the originals had less bass because they had to limit the dynamics so the records could be played on the cheapest record players used at the time.

There's is a long new mono's vs. original Parlophone's thread over at SH Forums. The consensus seems to be that the re-issues have a bit more detail/clarity while the originals have more midrange "magic" and warmth. Could be the solid-state vs. tube thing?

I just briefly compared a couple of tracks on Sgt Pepper, which I think is the only first pressing I have. The main difference is the holographic sense of the original - the sense of the voice hovering in space, which is quite eerie and uncanny. That is where the magic lies to me. I was very struck by this a couple of years ago when I came across this copy. My present system (this week at least!) is not as good at evoking this, but it's still clear in comparison with the new versions. The new copy is very good though. The difference is marginal, but I can see why people will still want to hunt down mint originals. Mine is not mint, so I will probably play the new one in preference.

Why do I keep looking for an excuse to buy this and why do I have it sitting in Amazon.it basket?

I have the mono CD box set - which I never play!

I seriously need to visit AA Analogue Anonymous - help.

If it helps with the AA thing, if a friend brought the mono box round and played it on my system as it is at the moment, I wouldn't buy it. They are good but I don't think they are miraculous (yet).

Why do I keep looking for an excuse to buy this and why do I have it sitting in Amazon.it basket?

I have the mono CD box set - which I never play!

I seriously need to visit AA Analogue Anonymous - help.

Why not just buy you favourite Beatles LP as a single album?

The thing is the original first pressings are out of most people's reach financially and the boxset is the next best thing or at least as good as your going to get for decent dosh.

I bought the boxset and I don't really like the Beatles much or I thought I didn't but the boxset has changed my mind plus where are you going to get something like this quality on vinyl nowadays for relatively sane money?

Why not just buy you favourite Beatles LP as a single album?

Are the individual albums in the same authentic sleeves as the box set?

All Your Music appears very reasonable for the individual albums

Revolver is £13.87 + £1.26 postage.

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band £15.11 + £1.26 Postage

The White Album £29.05 + £1.26 postage.

I bought the boxset and I don't really like the Beatles much or I thought I didn't but the boxset has changed my mind...

Me too. Up to Rubber Soul and becoming a bit of a convert. It's this (wide) middle era I think I'm going to enjoy the most - from Help through to the White album.

Me too. Up to Rubber Soul and becoming a bit of a convert. It's this (wide) middle era I think I'm going to enjoy the most - from to the White album.

Get on Discogs and buy an early pressing of Abbey Road, mine was £23.50 posted last week and it's a minter.

For me AR is the best thing (album) the Beatles ever did and the sound on these early pressings is wonderful.

Ah, quoted before I could check my discography :)

There are a few good tracks prior to Help, but it is what it is, a boy band playing good pop songs. But, yes definitely getting them more than I have ever before.

I'll see how the mood takes once through this lot. Are the recent stereo box set albums available separately? I'll go look...

As far as I know the covers are the same*, but will be able to confirm this week. I just ordered Revolver from Amazon, Italy but those UK prices are very good - £26 for the single LPs in the shops.

*From spincds Revolver blub:

'THE BEATLES REVOLVER is released in mono on 180-gram vinyl with faithfully replicated artwork, newly mastered from the analogue master tapes. '

Keep in mind that allyourmusic are shipping these from the US and so prices may be subject to import VAT and handling fees (£15.00 limit before fees are levied, theoretically calculated including postage cost).

All Your music - Condition and notes state VAT paid:

Price and delivery: £13.87 + £1.26 UK delivery

New - Brand New Product! Expect an average delivery of 5 - 21 business days from USA. (VAT paid). Multilingual customer service. Royal Mail Freepost for qualifying returns!

From Amazon Help section:

About VAT on Sales by Marketplace Sellers
Your order may contain items from one of Amazon's Marketplace Sellers. While these Sellers may have different VAT collection obligations, their prices are displayed inclusive of any applicable VAT for UK orders.

Prices on purchases from select Marketplace Sellers may change when dispatched to a country outside of the UK in order to account for VAT variations within the EU. When you've completed your order information (including selecting the delivery address), you'll be able to see your final price inclusive of applicable VAT before you confirm your order. For questions about VAT on items purchased from all Marketplace Sellers, please contact the Seller directly.

Dispatched from United Kingdom from Amazon seller dodax-online-uk

Rubber Soul

Price and delivery:
£14.50 + £1.26 UK delivery
Condition and notes:
New
Brand New Product! Please allow an average delivery time of 8-14 days. Multilingual customer service.

Seller information: dodax-online-uk

97% positive over the past 12 months. (210,976 total ratings)
In stock.

£13.87 is below the £15 threshold, is postage included taking it over at £15.13?

Just watch that Dodax mob they sell stuff that isn't what you think it is, they were selling the recent Bluenote 75th records that were the US versions of same and are pish.

Make sure you get the correct IBSN no or whatever it's called, best bet would to go onto Discogs and get the cat nos from there and then pump that into Google which should bring up a re-seller selling that exact record/cat no.

As far as I know the covers are the same*, but will be able to confirm this week. I just ordered Revolver from Amazon, Italy but those UK prices are very good - £26 for the single LPs in the shops.

*From spincds Revolver blub:

'THE BEATLES REVOLVER is released in mono on 180-gram vinyl with faithfully replicated artwork, newly mastered from the analogue master tapes. '

There is very comprehensive set of images of the Single LP "Rubber Soul" over on Discogs - LINKY

The barcode is only printed on the sticker on the plastic shrink wrap.

R-6069978-1410373426-1774.jpeg

advertisement

Back