advertisement

September 9th for Beatles mono LPs...

Take my money!*

Joe

* I may resist temptation this time...

How so? A properly done AAA reissue of these recordings has to be a good thing surely? It is particularly good that the LPs will also be available individually. I'm in for Rubber Soul to The Beatles for certain...!

If it's done well, and the process is analogue all the way, then this is a good thing surely? To get mint copies of mono originals would cost far, far more than this set. IMO it's worth the money to hear pristine copies of the albums, as the band intended them to be heard.

Paul,

There's something rather depressing and cynical about this whole process.
Of course, but I thought you were a big proponent of capitalism.

Can't have the bull without the shit.

Joe

How so? A properly done AAA reissue of these recordings has to be a good thing surely?
Why?

What was wrong with the last releases? Other than there wasn't a single box with everything for a reasonable price, and we still don't have a first generation digital release.

Paul

Paul,

Of course, but I thought you were a big proponent of capitalism.

Can't have the bull without the shit.

Joe
EMI and The remaining Beatles can do what they like with their material. But the AAA/vinyl foo remains depressing and cynical. The related Fremer marketing spiel particularly. I wonder how much he's earning from this.

Paul

Paul,

Making money is the point, which I thought you were in favour of on first principles and all that.

Joe

There's not a lot of wealth creation going on here though, just the creation of a replica product to empty the wallets of sad old men...

I suspect more time and resources have been put into this project than was needed to create the original material. The actual invention, the bit that still makes me think 'bloody hell!' when I hear it. Even from a scratchy old record.

Paul

As a relatively young 'un who was born after the Beatles split I'm in the process of buying the UK albums in order on the 50th Anniversary of their release. My aim was to get a real-time perspective on the development through their career. Something that's hard to imagine having always had every album available and starting from the wrong end as I did when I first got into their music.

I may be tempted to go for a few of these instead of the CDs for added realism of getting a gleaming new LP to take home.

Why?

What was wrong with the last releases? Other than there wasn't a single box with everything for a reasonable price, and we still don't have a first generation digital release.

Paul

What releases are you referring to? This newest set are taken from the original analogue mono master tapes with no digital processing as far as I know. The mono mixes are suppose to be a better take on their music than the stereo mixes.

advertisement

Back