advertisement

September 9th for Beatles mono LPs...

Joe,

Have you had a play with Y connectors or do you have a mono switch? I haven't compared much as I've had the cables in place for all my initial listening to the box but just now played "Help" without them and it didn't sound right. Got them back in and it's sounding better.

John,

No, I just listened to a couple of the records on my stereo system through ginormous Tannoys. :)

Joe

Well that is interesting. So what you are saying, if I understand you right, is that the CDs have been tampered with too little.

Thanks,

Tim

I wonder whether he saying that the CDs have been allowed to sound like the masters, whilst the LPs have been tailored more to suit their medium (as they must be) or perhaps to sound more like the original LPs.

Well that is interesting. So what you are saying, if I understand you right, is that the CDs have been tampered with too little.

Thanks,

Tim

I think so. But then I also think its specious to automatically regard compression and equalization as a bad thing (pop/rock music without any compression somewhere in the 'chain' is a bizarre concept to me) and incorrect to seperate corrections & enhancements made during final mastering to the recording process itself.

In the case of these records, the results suggest the master tape was perhaps 80% of the intended result and the mastering was integral part of the process - there are various notes from George Martin, Geoff Emerick, Ken Scott to Harry T Moss that also suggest that this is the case.

Just buy them, their really are very, very good. Even my wife is impressed and next to nothing impresses her.

I think so. But then I also think its specious to automatically regard compression and equalization as a bad thing (pop/rock music without any compression somewhere in the 'chain' is a bizarre concept to me) and incorrect to seperate corrections & enhancements made during final mastering to the recording process itself.

No argument there. I think it is an over-reaction to the horrible loud mastering which has afflicted many/most CDs.

Tim

I haven't compared much as I've had the cables in place for all my initial listening to the box but just now played "Help" without them and it didn't sound right. Got them back in and it's sounding better.

Can you quantify how it did sound wrong? I'm curious as I've only tried stereo so far. Can't really be bothered with cable swapping unless it makes a big difference.

Can you quantify how it did sound wrong? I'm curious as I've only tried stereo so far. Can't really be bothered with cable swapping unless it makes a big difference.

Sound great to me played through my stereo set up which is JR147s on the end of a Brio-R with no tone controls or mono switch.

Whoa - Amazon UK price now £371.31 and item under review :eek:

ScreenShot2014-09-20at211231_zpsf27eae2c.png

That price isn't Amazon's per se - as you point out the item is under review, so they're not actually selling it.

Is this set a limited edition? If so, how many?!

Get down to Sister Ray Berwick Street, it's only £349 there. Have the tax dodgers run out of their £288 stock?

I'll try to make a recording both ways and listen more carefully. From what I read it should only affect noise so not sure it should affect the music so maybe I was imaging things.

I have two boxes in the house (one to be returned) and the first box that arrived has an extra copy of Help in the sleeve of 'With The Beatles'. I think this was reported earlier in the thread, so I guess this must be the problem that has caused Amazon to put the item under review. The other box seems to be fine. This was the one I ordered just the other day when the cheap price was flagged up.

I arrived home fairly late from the Whittlebury show ,to find my box on the table , it is a rather wonderful thing to behold ! Beautifully packaged and presented for a Beatles nut like myself .

Just Listened to Please Please Me and 1st side of Rubber Soul , excellent ,truly excellent, sounds open with a crystal clear clarity ,very quiet vinyl .

Has anybody compared the new copies to original mono first issues yet as I have most mono first issues in ex condition and would not want to shell out for this new set unless it was better than the first issues.

I don't have any original mono's, I would say though, that these won't sound the same as the original's, they were cut using tube amps, these are solid state.

They sound great, though if you have good original's its difficult to justify it ?

But holding, seeing and having this box set in my hands, well its just wonderful.

Has anybody compared the new copies to original mono first issues yet as I have most mono first issues in ex condition and would not want to shell out for this new set unless it was better than the first issues.

There's is a long new mono's vs. original Parlophone's thread over at SH Forums. The consensus seems to be that the re-issues have a bit more detail/clarity while the originals have more midrange "magic" and warmth. Could be the solid-state vs. tube thing?

One thing the re-issues have is less IGD on the end-of-side tracks due to being farther from the spindle.

But having the originals in excellent condition I don't really see the benefit of getting these. Unless you have money to burn (and nothing else to burn them on).

Thanks for the link I get a bit fed up with SHF at times as it seems to go round in circles without sometimes getting to the point of the matter, likewise PFM at times too.

advertisement

Back