advertisement

Sennheiser HD600, king of the heap

The B&W don't seem to suit my tastes, which are mainly classical music oriented. I'm not quite sure what it is about them, but I'd rather listen to any of the others. They do much better on Dream Theater than Debussy.

Have you found any headphones you like on classical? I really struggle as classical is such a clearly defined real ‘thing’ that happens in a certain type of space and is always a good distance in front of you. It is a very specific experience and needs that location in three-dimensional space. I’ve no issue with conventional speakers, they can produce a smaller scale version of that space and distance in a living room. Same with jazz. I view rock and pop as an entirely artificial studio creation, so I’ve no issue with headphones here, in many cases they may even be the target medium the music is created and mixed for. Some hall-mic’d Debussy solo piano appearing in the distance in the middle of your head is however a very odd thing. The perspective is just so wrong.

Have you found any headphones you like on classical? I really struggle as classical is such a clearly defined real ‘thing’ that happens in a certain type of space and is always a good distance in front of you. It is a very specific experience and needs that location in three-dimensional space. I’ve no issue with conventional speakers, they can produce a smaller scale version of that space and distance in a living room. Same with jazz. I view rock and pop as an entirely artificial studio creation, so I’ve no issue with headphones here, in many cases they may even be the target medium the music is created and mixed for. Some hall-mic’d Debussy solo piano appearing in the distance in the middle of your head is however a very odd thing. The perspective is just so wrong.
I know what you mean.
A degree of tolerance is required regarding headphone soundstage for classical. I'm OK with it done well.

Just my opinion, obviously, but the Monolith M1060 open backed planar magnetics are superb on classical.
Very neutral, naturally resolved and open but immersive.

The Sennheiser 600 are OK, but being critical they are a bit too closed in and claustrophobic for really convincing classical. Too bright without eq as well imo. And they need more bass.

Oppo PM-3 are quite like a superior Sennheiser 600 on classical. Same sort of closed in feeling, but without the Senns high end peakiness. I've had a pair for a few years, they are staying.

The Sundara are good, too, but the Monolith get my vote as my go to classical headphones.

Reactions: RoA

advertisement

Back