advertisement

Sennheiser HD600, king of the heap

OK, I couldn't find anything on YouTube.
But a Google search shows that the internet is swarming with folks with comfort issues with these headphones!

<link deleted as damage could ensue if the advice is followed! >

The claim is that the metal extensions of the headband are actually designed to have their curvature changed.

I'll have a go once I've got my courage up!

Here’s a video. This is exactly what I did and it makes a very big difference. Just go slow and keep checking your work for fit.

PS Never use any of the plastic parts for leverage, only work on the metal part.

Thanks again, Tony.
It looks like the info I linked to above is dangerously incorrect. I'll delete the link.

As a long term (if only very intermittent, until more recently) user of the HD580s, I got a pair of 600s (when the 580s were in need of new pads, headband etc.), and was surprised to find them rather uncomfortable - seemingly higher clamp force, and much firmer pads; they also didn't sound very good, so I put them back in the box, intending to return them (but never got around to it :(). There they sat for a number of years, until my 580s lost a channel, so I dug out the 600s again recently, with the same result, both in terms of comfort and sound. :(

I guess I should try to run them in (again, fit (bit of bending?) and sound wise, as they've had less than 1 hour's use!), to see if things improve, but I've come to the conclusion that, as I have done rather more music listening with headphones in recent years, the 580s, while quite comfortable and inoffensive sounding, are not the most musically engaging/involving of transducers, so I'm wondering if I might be better seeking out something more enjoyable, headphone wise? Then again, with the explosion of headphones makers, where to begin?! :eek:

Hifiman HE400SE is a great place to start as they're cheap, and planars sounds different, much more open sounding and with a wider soundstage. Distorsion is also magnitudes lower. And takes EQ a whole lot better without breaking up, so a great platform for experimenting with EQ. Not very portable though so that is considering you mostly do stationary listening sessions.

Clamp force will obviously go down as the pads wear with time. This will also affect the sound a bit.
I prefer the sound of HD600 et al. with fresh pads, they are more spacious sounding and have crisper treble definition. As the pads wear, the drivers sit closer to your ears and, as well as sounding a little more closed in and claustrophobic, this also skews the tonal balance by increasing the SPL of the midrange and upper bass more than the rest of the frequency spectrum. As pad wear happens so gradually you don't notice the sonic signature changing over time, it's only when you replace a worn set of pads with a fresh set that the difference is obvious. All just IMO, of course!

I prefer the sound of HD600 et al. with fresh pads, they are more spacious sounding and have crisper treble definition. As the pads wear, the drivers sit closer to your ears and, as well as sounding a little more closed in and claustrophobic, this also skews the tonal balance by increasing the SPL of the midrange and upper bass more than the rest of the frequency spectrum. As pad wear happens so gradually you don't notice the sonic signature changing over time, it's only when you replace a worn set of pads with a fresh set that the difference is obvious. All just IMO, of course!

My experience too ... last replaced mine about a year or two back.
As mine compress to the shape of my head over time, I find that rotating the pads over every few months helps to even out the wear a bit (front goes to back) which helps prolong their life.

@Caledon1297
What do you dislike about the HD 600?

If you read my fairly long review above you'll find that I quite strongly disliked mine to start with.
Treble peaks and weak low bass (as measured by Audio Science Review) were my issue, and some judicious EQ sorted the problem for me.

As for alternative headphone recommendations, Hifiman Sundara have been getting very favourable comments, including by myself, on pfm.

@Caledon1297
What do you dislike about the HD 600?

If you read my fairly long review above you'll find that I quite strongly disliked mine to start with.
Treble peaks and weak low bass (as measured by Audio Science Review) were my issue, and some judicious EQ sorted the problem for me.

As for alternative headphone recommendations, Hifiman Sundara have been getting very favourable comments, including by myself, on pfm.

Based upon my (very) initial impression, they sound rather 'grey', bland, matter of fact, boring, unengaging...

I've successfully bent the HD 600 headband metal bands for a better fit.
I still don't like the earpads, so I've just ordered a pair of Dekoni sheepskin pads and adaptors.

I think I've had my HD600's for 20 years. On my 3rd set of pads and cables. Currently have the Sennheiser chunky cable with native 6.5mm plug and Dekoni synthetic suede pads - they're lovely. It's also worth trying these cans with the foam driver covers removed.

I've used them with a Meier Audio HA1, Topping A50s and a Sugden headmaster, but the best I have got them to sound is through a can opener style resistor network and a Quad 606. The low frequency performance with this setup is eerily good and speaker like.

Would be interesting to try cans costing twice as much with this setup, but my expectations are that it would not be worth it. That said, if anyone wants to lend me a pair of HD800's, I'll give them a go. :)

the Sennheiser that I tried HD 599 SE was not as good as the Sundara.
admittedly, I haven’t tried the HD600 yet.
I found them to be uncomfortable and 2 dimensional.

a few comparisons out there.

2020 Sundara vs HD600

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...undara-2020/325/24884?usage=19&threshold=0.10

As usual, just shows how different we all are ! I find the HD599SE to be one of the great bargains (80-odd quid if I remember) and they not only feel comfortable but suit my classical tastes virtually to perfection, but then I like a particular sound, so maybe I was just lucky..

Yes, the 599 SEs are my 'go to' - likewise with a friend of mine who tried out a number of more expensive items including planars

Has anybody compared these HD600s with a B&O H7 or B&W PX7? I have both of these and granted they are both BT and one is NC, but a nice wired no-frills set might be attractive. The B&O are comfortable until I put specs on, the B&Ws are more comfortable with specs. I also have Grado SR60s which are very comfortable, but my ears find them far too light in the bass these days.

The HD600 prices are all over the place on Amazon (which seems to be the only place with stock) just now - £302 a couple of days ago, then £380, then back to £302, then £350 today.

At £302 I'd take a punt but at £380 I'd be off to my local dealer to try something a bit more expensive (those new Quad panel jobbies?)

Opinions?

@fiveamp
This doesn't quite answer your question, but I've owned B&O H6, H4 and currently
B&W P7 and Sennheiser HD600.

In my opinion....
They got off to a slow start for me, but I'd rate the Senns as the one I'd stay with, if I did stay with just one of those.

The B&O are a bit more spacious sounding, more comfortable (I agree about the glasses, but even so they are OK cumfy for me) but not as well or as naturally resolved and have sloped off top end extension, less 'sparkle'. They've a notably natural midrange tonality. The bass on the B&O is probably the best I have heard from a headphone, it goes really deep, taut and powerful (but not in an unnaturally elevated or boosted way, it's just there when the music asks for it). But I'm not hugely into bass.

The B&W don't seem to suit my tastes, which are mainly classical music oriented. I'm not quite sure what it is about them, but I'd rather listen to any of the others. They do much better on Dream Theater than Debussy.

So, to sum up I'm a rather reluctant Sennheiser HD600 fanboy, for the options you specify. And I think they are a very good headphone. I'm not keen on the earpads, but they do seem to be settling into shape with use. I've a pair of Dekoni sheepskin pads on order for them.

I've rather more cans than that, though, including the currently and understandably popular Hifiman Sundara.
My preference overall would probably be Monolith M1060 planars. Listening atm; gorgeous. Spacious and immersive, they put me into the music in a very entertaining and convincing way.

But if you need closed back, then Sennheiser HD 600 get a strong thumbs up from me. For me, they do need peaks at 3.5khz and 5khz taken care of (I find them intrusively bright otherwise) and a hefty bass lift starting at +3db @ 80hz, rising to +8db @ 35hz.

Keep an eye on the Sennheiser website, there will probably be an offer closer to £200 coming along sometime soon.

Last edited:
I've rather more cans than that, though, including the currently and understandably popular Hifiman Sundara.
My preference overall would probably be Monolith M1060 planars. Listening atm; gorgeous. Spacious and immersive, they put me into the music in a very entertaining and convincing way.

But if you need closed back, then Sennheiser HD 600 get a strong thumbs up from me. For me, they do need peaks at 3.5khz and 5khz taken care of (I find them intrusively bright otherwise) and a hefty bass lift starting at +3db @ 80hz, rising to +8db @ 35hz.

Like the rest of the HD6-- series, the HD600 is open-backed, not closed.

advertisement

Back