advertisement

Sennheiser HD600, king of the heap

Robert

Tapehead
After several months of trying all sorts of headphones, buying and selling various Beyers, AKG, AT, Grado, Koss, Shure - the HD600 come out on top, and by no small margin.

So to those who on a recent thread said, just go straight to the Sennheisers, you were right.

Essentially flat and true to the source, comfortable and (I think) good looking in the current black and dark grey livery. I'm surprised at just how many other 'reference' or studio grade headphones think it's fine to run with massive treble peaks.

Two honourable mentions for other models:

Audio Technica ATH-MSR7bk closed back. Priced up there with the HD600 and quite close in sound signature but with a little more high treble sheen, not unpleasant but characterful nonetheless. Solid build and great comfort. Sound more like open backs. I use them were I can't have sound bleed or have limited output (they are low impedance and sensitive).

Grado SR80 - not neutral by any stretch (decidedly light and spotlit) but if you want an audio out of body experience, these take the prize. Bargains.

Just wondering, did you try the HD650 and HD660s? If so would be interested in your thoughts.

I’ve not tried many of the better/more expensive headphones, but I love my HD-600s. I’m happy to use them as a reference. I just wish you could get HD-600 sound quality and HD-414 comfort (not the the 414s are bad sounding at all)!

@Robert, what took you so long?! You could've saved time and money by following my recommendation of the HD600 in the first place! :p

Your findings essentially mirror my own. I've had the pleasure of reviewing quite a few high end headphones in recent years, and the HD600 is always my "go-to'" for a reference check / reality check.

I've had my pair 10 years now and they remain my most used headphones. So much so that I have expanded my collection and now own the full sweep of HD6-esque 'phones, including the HD58X, HD650 and HD660S. All are variations along the same theme but with subtle differences. Want a slightly fuller-bodied and thicker sounding HD600? Then go for the HD650. Want a HD600 with less-forward mids and a more extended low-end? Then go for the HD58X. That's basically the long and short of it.

PS - I also own the ATH-MSR7, the older model with tan livery. Very good sounding closed-back 'phones that can be made to sound excellent with some minor EQ changes including lowering the 1kHz bump and backing off the lower treble just a little. My main complaint about them is the comfort, the headband padding is very hard compared to the Sennheisers and after only two or three years of occasional use the faux-leather covering is disintegrating.

Couldn't agree more, they're the most neutral sounding and comfortable I've ever had, and I started off with Koss something or others in the late 1960's.

When I bought them, conventional wisdom favoured the HD650's, but it was no contest imo.

@Robert, what took you so long?! You could've saved time and money by listening to my recommendation of the HD600 in the first place! :p

Your findings essentially mirror my own. I've had the pleasure of reviewing quite a few high end headphones in recent years, and the HD600 is always my "go-to'" for a reference check / reality check.

I've had my pair 10 years now and they remain my most used headphones. So much so that I have expanded my collection and now own the full sweep of HD6-esque- 'phones, including the HD58X, HD650 and HD660S. All are variations along the same theme but with subtle differences. Want a slightly fuller-bodied HD600? Then go for the HD650. Want a HD600 but with less-forward mids and a more extended low-end? Then go for the HD58X. That's basically the long and short of it.

PS - I also own the ATH-MSR7, the older model with tan livery. Very good sounding closed-back 'phones that can be made to sound excellent with some minor EQ changes including lowering the 1kHz bump and backing off the lower treble just a little. My main complaint about them is the comfort, the headband padding is very hard compared to the Sennheisers and after only two or three years of occasional use the faux-leather covering on it has started to disintegrates.

Haha yes, but remember, the journey is just as important as the destination :)

The MSR7 is a blt clampy. I left mine stretched out over a pair of small bookshelf speakers for a couple of days and that helped. I picked up mu black pair used but said to be mint. When I received them none of the cables or papers had been opened and they looked new. Not bad for £100.

Nice. Glad you are happy with them.

Where did you buy your 600's from? What headphone amp are you using?

S.

Mostly an Audioquest Dragonfly Black (1.5) with phone/tablet/laptop or from the main Hi-fi via a Schiit Magni 3.

Bought them from Juno Records.

Love the Dragonfly Black, gorgeous little 24/96 capable usb dac and you pick them up new these days for £65. Its inbuilt headphone amp can make the HD600 play loud, but not very loud. For those into headbanging with high impedance cans, go for the Red which can swing a bit more voltage.

Just out of curiosity, Robert. Which AKG headphones have you tried?

S.

The 612 and the 702. Of those I slightly preferred the 612 which seemed a tad more neutral. I'm sure I could detect a mild colouration though on mid range transients, like the driver was exciting the plastic baffle ever so slightly. Otherwise they were great though you do look a bit a of a prawn wearing them :)

Hi Robert, did you try any of the wireless models like the Momentum’s?

Unfortunately not. My only experience with wireless is the in ear types and I'm quite happy with the little Samsung buds for that, which sound surprisingly good with a little EQ and Dolby Atmos - yikes! :)

I enjoy my earbuds as well, that’s the thing. I have a little stax system which is great but I’ve become used to the freedom that wireless allows.

Which Shure model did you try Robert? I have SRH1540s and find the opposite...smooth treble, a tab warm down below.

advertisement

Back