advertisement

Sennheiser HD600, king of the heap

Bought some HD-600s to replace the SR-80s in my bedroom system, couldn't bring myself to retire the SR-80s just yet so instead they have replaced the Focal Elears in my main system, that's how good (and comfortable) they are.
TS

Bought some HD-600s to replace the SR-80s in my bedroom system, couldn't bring myself to retire the SR-80s just yet so instead they have replaced the Focal Elears in my main system, that's how good (and comfortable) they are.
TS
That's a pretty damning indictment on the Elears then! ;)

That's a pretty damning indictment on the Elears then! ;)
Not really, I have a small head so never found the Elears a particularly comfortable fit, also they are quite heavy. On the plus side they look & feel like the luxury item that there price tag suggests & they do sound superb. What I am suggesting is that once you get to a certain level then in my (admittedly limited) experience the law of diminishing returns kicks in. For me that point kicks in at the HD-600 level. YMMV.
TS

Not really, I have a small head so never found the Elears a particularly comfortable fit, also they are quite heavy. On the plus side they look & feel like the luxury item that there price tag suggests & they do sound superb. What I am suggesting is that once you get to a certain level then in my (admittedly limited) experience the law of diminishing returns kicks in. For me that point kicks in at the HD-600 level. YMMV.
TS
I find it fascinating how divisive/personal different listeners experiences of the same headphone can be, much more so than speakers it seems. This will of course largely be due to anatomy variations. I personally have never been able to get on with headphones that sit on-the-ear, they sound distant to me and lack the sense of envelopment you get from well-fitting over-ears. I tried SR80s for example and found them very forward/shouty in the midrange but distant and rolled off in the bass and upper treble. Over-ears suit my anatomy better but some can still cause issues. The HD800S for example has ear cups so cavernous in size that they don't seal tightly along my jawline, and as I result I experience less bass impact from them than I do from my HD600 despite measurements showing the latter has an earlier bass rolloff than the former.

Should also add that the Elears replaced some Shure SRH-1540s which were bought on the basis of there reputation & positive reviews. Never got on with them, the build quality & comfort is fantastic but I found them far to bass heavy & not as airy/spacious sounding as I would like. In comparison, in SQ terms, to these ears the Elears were a far better fit, just wish I had tried the HD-600s before I bought the SRH-1540s, probably wouldn't have felt the need to upgrade in the 1st place. Also another salutary lesson learned; Try before you buy!!

Been using 600's for four years or so now, love the comfort and sound.

As someone with the gigantic head of a Mekon I found the HD-600 really ‘clampy’ when new and actually ended up gently bending the flat metal springy bits outwards a fair bit. They are ok now, but I’d never know forget I was wearing them. As I say above the classic black yellow HD-414 are the absolute benchmark for comfort for me. No other headphone comes close IMHO. Super-light and not tight on the ears at all.

I have those, like them but again a big treble spike on current production. Older models much flatter apparently.
I found the DT990 and HD600 incredibly close in SQ. in fact I’d find it impossible to distinguish between them blind.

My Focal Elears are away at the menders at the moment (SVB Distribution) and hopefully covered under warranty so currently slumming it with Meze 99 Classics.

Glad you're enjoying the Sennheisers :)

always thought the best deal of the sennheiser heap were the 580s ...half the price but 99% of the performance of the 600s

Grado RS2s are where it's at, all else is conjecture.............

Seriously they just sound like loudspeakers on your head.

always thought the best deal of the sennheiser heap were the 580s ...half the price but 99% of the performance of the 600s
I know about as much about headphones as I know about quantum physics but I do find the plethora of Sennheiser models particularly confusing. I have a pair of HD 598SR's (They cost £80 via a PFM heads up from Amazon) and they sound good to me on the rare occasions I use them. Out of interest, where do these sit in the Sennheiser pecking order apart from the obvious numerical ramping.

I've never been a fan of Senheisers, and the HD600 are no exception.

I still have a pair of Senheisers that was given to me but I don't use them. I also had the classic ones with the yellow foams a long, long time ago, and they didn't do bass at all. But they were feather light.

Nothing can beat my old Philips X1, which happen to be very, very comfortable too.

Sorry to be the party pooper!

Anyway, listening to headphones is a somehow frustrating experience. You never get the 3D experience you can get from good speakers.

I've had the same pair of hd600's for about 18 years. On my second set of pads and third cable. Like the AT33ptg or the Stereo 20, a product so perfectly formed it would be pointless and very expensive trying to significantly better it. I found the 650 almost indistinguishable.

Nice to have a pair of closed cans for when the occasion demands, though.

advertisement

Back