advertisement

Sennheiser HD 800

I've had a pair of HD800 for several years; I've now got some Focal Utopias, which are remarkable, but then they should be for the price! Still not as comfortable as the HD800's though ;)

I'd've thought they were chalk and cheese sonically, as are my 650s and Elears, but I enjoy both. It's a lot cheaper to jump from 650s to 800s and have a different sonic signature, but upping the Elears to more/better of the same needs careful thought. As the Elears are, in general terms, better cans than the 650s, more of the same appeals!

As my hearing is pretty shot (age), the higher frequency boost of the 800s may help this aspect. I don't normally do dem's and buy used so it'll be a rational decision based on reading posts like yours as well as myriad reviews and comments. My Myryad can amp does justice to both my cans so can't see a problem there.

I'd've thought they were chalk and cheese sonically, as are my 650s and Elears, but I enjoy both. It's a lot cheaper to jump from 650s to 800s and have a different sonic signature, but upping the Elears to more/better of the same needs careful thought. As the Elears are, in general terms, better cans than the 650s, more of the same appeals!

As my hearing is pretty shot (age), the higher frequency boost of the 800s may help this aspect. I don't normally do dem's and buy used so it'll be a rational decision based on reading posts like yours as well as myriad reviews and comments. My Myryad can amp does justice to both my cans so can't see a problem there.

They do sound pretty different, but both different in a good way. I got a very good deal on the Utopias, so I bought blind knowing that I could sell at not that much of a loss if I didn't like them. I can't see me ever upgrading these, but I'll probably try for a new headphone amp, I'm using a Pathos Aurium.. any recommendations gratefully received.

I'm using a Pathos Aurium.. any recommendations gratefully received.

Apart from Headline (powered by 552) and various amp outlets through the ages, the Myryad is only my second dedicated can amp. I did a lot of research into can amps before getting this but wanted multiple inputs and 2 outputs if poss. The Myryad was being sold off at a silly price so I grabbed one as it has 3 inputs + 2 x can outs + various useful touches. It also blew my Naim into the weeds, as the say.

Therefore, I have little experience to draw on, but valved can amps were very favourably viewed when I was researching some 3 years back; also the £500 odd Teac H??? I can see a valved amp being synergistic sonically with HD800s, for obv. reasons. Don't know the Pathos (valved?) but I imagine it'll be difficult to sonically upgrade a.f.a. the Utopias are concerned (and the 800s, I guess).

Sennheiser h800s are one of the lightest and most comfortable headphones available however if you like a warm analogue sound the Audeze headphones are the best out there from the ones I have heard.
H800s are good headphones but a bit to analytical and hard to listen to for long periods if partnered with the wrong amp/dac with the right amp they sound great, but audition some through your amp if possible.

The HD800s work well with the Mojo. I found that upgrading the headphone cable to Cardas worked wonders and tamed the peakiness of the headphones and use these daily without fatigue.
I would agree if heard some with stock cables and they were fatiguing but i had some H800 years back with cardas cable and it put them into another league, i guess that would probably apply to all headphone in that price and above.

Hello
The HD 800 : big subject and definitely a question of taste
Agree with all members for the right amp
Had them , and finally sold them : they were not for me and the type of easy music I listen to
Some tips IMHO :
Cable rolling can be effective but not my stuff really
Valve amp make them totally lively

But they are really good ones
Cheers

I know the sound of the HD800 and 800S quite well. How would people describe the differences between them and the Focal Clear?

decided to sell my HD800 if anyone interested.
cant seem to post pics on here so theyre on "art of sound" classifieds

I had 800s and really struggled to like them. I was using an M2Tech Marley Mk1 class a headphones amp and also a RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. I then bought a pair of 600s and have stuck with them ever since. In my experience the 600s are better and much less money.

I had 800s and really struggled to like them. I then bought a pair of 600s and have stuck with them ever since. In my experience the 600s are better and much less money.

By all accounts the 600/650 (which I have) and 800 series are very very different and not just an upgrade on the same theme. I'm tempted by 800S as my loss of high frequencies may benefit from the 800 presentation in theory. I also have Focal Elears, which are not a culture shock from my 650s but better in most if not all aspects, esp. transparency and dynamics. Now wondering about the Utopia (versus 800S !!!!)

any 800 owners tried dekoni pads?
No but very interested to hear. The standard pads are comfortable if a bit flimsy compared with fat bastards currently marketed but knowing Sennheiser as a technically directed company, I’m sure the originals are competent

I had 800s and really struggled to like them. I was using an M2Tech Marley Mk1 class a headphones amp and also a RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. I then bought a pair of 600s and have stuck with them ever since. In my experience the 600s are better and much less money.

I just don't understand if my ears are different or my brain is wired differently or what the issue here really is. I tried multiple times to purchase HD600, HD650, used, brand new etc - I really wanted to see what the fuss is all about and why do people love them so much and whether I'd like the more than my HD800. Every single time I sent them back, disappointed. To me, they sound cheap-ish and grainy compared to my HD800. The treble is just not as pleasant, and crystalline, for the lack of a better term. The bass is much more solid, tight in the HD800, whereas I found it 'wooly' in the HD650. The feeling of space around the instruments in well mixed classical, chamber music, and jazz is unrivalled in the HD800.

I wonder if it's due to my headphone amp? I'm using a Sennheiser HDVA 600 FWIW. I also wondered if I have hearing issues and cannot hear the 'treble spike' in the HD800. Nope, checked my ears a couple of times and have perfect hearing up to 15Khz.

I'm going to chalk it down to different head shape / ear canal physiology and keep enjoying my HD800 :)

The HD800s are simply better transducers than the 600/650, nice though the latter are. You pays your money…

I'm going to chalk it down to different head shape / ear canal physiology and keep enjoying my HD800 :)

It may well be down to the considerable difference in presentation between 600/650 (and previous/similarly-priced Senn's) and the 800 series. Headphones generally improve the further up the ladder you go, but keeping that basic 'flavour'. Focals are an example here. Sennheiser, by all accounts, tried to depart from this in their 700, which turned out to be a curate's egg at best. The 800 was an entirely different beast, and it's that animal that you're familiar with. My 650s are darker than my other cans, but lovely nonetheless.

Not sure, when you already have the 800, why you're trying and failing with the 600 range. However, the can amp matters considerably in this situation and yours is probably well balanced in favour of 800s. I'll admit that received wisdom is uppermost in this, but I've researched the 800 series about as far as poss. on Google as I really wasn't sure whether to chance my arm on the 'different' 800s or play safe and go with the Focals. That my aged hearing is well below par didn't help, but luckily, I've found that the improvements are manifest despite hearing loss. Wonder when I'll revert to my speakers :).

I've just gone to Utopias after Elears. Still coming to terms with the distinct differences (and cost) as my Elears still sound sublime and the Utopias don't 'wow' with their definite superiority, but when it comes to transparency, detail and, last but not least, immersivity, there's no contest; as well there shouldn't be, of course (still experimenting !).

Incidentally, I used my Elears for music and 650s for TV and occasional music (radio, mainly). Quite happy with either yet they're so different though the Elears did give greater clarity and, ergo, s.q. HD 650s now relegated to desk-top use; bit silly so should move on one or the other.

Ears and heads are different. Some are bothered by the peak (from the cup?) of the 800's - some are not. They are clearly technically very superior to 6xx series and does some things almost no other HP can. They are keepers unless you hate them. :) Even though you may not love them they will still be an interesting alternative on certain types of material.

We’re all different and I tried both the HD800 and 800S preferring the latter but I didn’t keep them and still have my HD600s which are certainly not ‘woolly’ in the bass. They have never over impressed me with resolving ability or ‘detail’ but they do impress me almost because there is nothing to tire of. To my ears, the HD600s are well balanced and I never find myself analysing their sound, just enjoying whatever I’m listening to and often for long sessions.

I also need a closed back option and have discovered that I enjoy the Focal Celestee for similar reasons, the Elegias I had before responded well to EQ but I find the Celestee is roughly where I ended up EQing the Elegia to. Not quite the width but the tonal balance in stock form is much more to my taste and I’m enjoying these, even occasionally off a portable with no amp, which is handy.

I've owned my original HD800 pair for a number of years now and they are definitely keepers. I tend to use them for classical and acoustic music and use my Audeze for pop, rock, vocal and other genres. I can see why some people fond the 800s fatiguing, but when you're in the mood to listen to every detail in the music, they take some beating.

I just don't understand if my ears are different or my brain is wired differently or what the issue here really is. I tried multiple times to purchase HD600, HD650, used, brand new etc - I really wanted to see what the fuss is all about and why do people love them so much and whether I'd like the more than my HD800. Every single time I sent them back, disappointed. To me, they sound cheap-ish and grainy compared to my HD800. The treble is just not as pleasant, and crystalline, for the lack of a better term. The bass is much more solid, tight in the HD800, whereas I found it 'wooly' in the HD650. The feeling of space around the instruments in well mixed classical, chamber music, and jazz is unrivalled in the HD800.

I wonder if it's due to my headphone amp? I'm using a Sennheiser HDVA 600 FWIW. I also wondered if I have hearing issues and cannot hear the 'treble spike' in the HD800. Nope, checked my ears a couple of times and have perfect hearing up to 15Khz.

I'm not surprised: I've owned 800's (not 800S) twice and went to 650's from there. I don't think anyone would think the 650 was a "better" headphone, it's just a "nicer" presentation for some people. The 800 is obviously a far superior headphone IMO, but it's just too analytical sounding to be the right long term headphone for many of us. I've tried mods and eq tweaks to the 800. They do help but the basic signature is always there (for me, at least). Will have to try an 800S at some point as I absolutely love the soundstage of the 800

Be grateful if you like the HD800 (I wish I did!), it's a fantastic headphone and amazing value for the level of quality that you get.

advertisement

Back