advertisement

Sennheiser HD 800

I don't really recognise the concept of sound stage and spaciousness in the context of headphones and personally I never use cans to listen to music

I don't think of soundstaging, holography, imaging or however one calls it as a 'concept'. I just love music in my head and the wider and more detailed the soundstage the better. I also love listening to my ESLs, but this is a different experience, and not one to compare with cans, i.m.o.

My friend has recently bought 650s and Elears (on my recommendation but he'd never admit to that!) and upgraded his can amp to a Linear (forget the manufacturer). Asked how he's getting on with them, he says 'not a patch on listening to my speakers' (ProAc R3.5). 'Never really been a headphone man', says he. Am I lucky? I can equally enjoy both and get the same 'buzz'.

Jez, you are like my friend, it seems (though he did get off onto a good level, having not had cans for decades). Even in my limited experience, the difference between can amps and cans is as wide as that between main amplification and speakers. My Naim Headline (not cheap with serious power supply) was okay with the 650s but didn't induce me to listen much. Change to my current class A jobbie and it's chalk and cheese.

Maybe it's my hearing, which isn't great, but even in summer 1970 in West Hampstead where I had a bank of Koss 4As accessible from above the head of a 10' wide bed, I loved to plug into one of those rather than listen to my 15" woofer/horns Goodmans speakers. Mind you, there were frequently 6 people on that bed with overflow in front of the big speakers. Think it was a Lux integrated then, just before I went to college. Those were the halcyon days I almost can't remember !!!!

I don't think of soundstaging, holography, imaging or however one calls it as a 'concept'. I just love music in my head and the wider and more detailed the soundstage the better. I also love listening to my ESLs, but this is a different experience, and not one to compare with cans, i.m.o.

My friend has recently bought 650s and Elears (on my recommendation but he'd never admit to that!) and upgraded his can amp to a Linear (forget the manufacturer). Asked how he's getting on with them, he says 'not a patch on listening to my speakers' (ProAc R3.5). 'Never really been a headphone man', says he. Am I lucky? I can equally enjoy both and get the same 'buzz'.

Jez, you are like my friend, it seems (though he did get off onto a good level, having not had cans for decades). Even in my limited experience, the difference between can amps and cans is as wide as that between main amplification and speakers. My Naim Headline (not cheap with serious power supply) was okay with the 650s but didn't induce me to listen much. Change to my current class A jobbie and it's chalk and cheese.

Maybe it's my hearing, which isn't great, but even in summer 1970 in West Hampstead where I had a bank of Koss 4As accessible from above the head of a 10' wide bed, I loved to plug into one of those rather than listen to my 15" woofer/horns Goodmans speakers. Mind you, there were frequently 6 people on that bed with overflow in front of the big speakers. Think it was a Lux integrated then, just before I went to college. Those were the halcyon days I almost can't remember !!!!

My hearing is fine and when subtle differences or problems are to be heard when in "bake off" type situations it's more likely than not me that spots them. I would not expect much difference between headphone amps as they only need to produce around 1V at just a few mA and into 300 Ohms. Many pre amps can in fact drive 'phones such an easy load are they! I've used my HD580's (no doubt just as good as 800's! or better...) with the headphone outputs of 2 CD players, 2 laptops, my PC, I tried my Tandberg cassette decks phones output as a headphone amp fed from a DAC... and then of course the class A amp I made mainly because of all the raving about differences between HP amps. Bugger all difference with any of them I can assure you! I'm certainly not saying the same about 'phones themselves!

You seem to contradict yourself there, Jez

No I can't see what you're getting at there... I've never heard HD800's... just the series from 580's to 800's are supposedly all similar and some reckon the 580's are best, some the 600's , 800's whatever... Phones obviously sound very different generally as do carts and speakers but as I say, with HD580's, I can't tell any difference between headphone amps.

No I can't see what you're getting at there... I've never heard HD800's... just the series from 580's to 800's are supposedly all similar and some reckon the 580's are best, some the 600's , 800's whatever... Phones obviously sound very different generally as do carts and speakers but as I say, with HD580's, I can't tell any difference between headphone amps.
In terms of resolution / transparency the HD800 is the best in the HD range, simple fact. From a tonality POV, the HD580, HD58X, HD600, HD650 and HD660S are all broadly similar (i.e. if you weren't familiar with their subtle differences or listened to them a few days apart you might struggle to identify each one correctly in an A/B test). The HD700 and HD800/S are however different beasts entirely and anyone who can't hear the difference between these and the other HD models I mentioned is in desperate need of an ear-syringe!!

Yes, the HD800's (and 700's) are entirely different from the 5/600 range - Jez from what you said about soundstage I think you might actually like the 800's (as much as you might like any headphone) Rather than it going between your ears, they really present the soundstage as much more in front of you than any other headphone that I've tried. It's pinpoint sharp too (in terms of picking out instrument placement)

I rather like the HD800s. But in the end they lost out (initially) to a modest Stax setup, which then grew into a fairly fancy Stax setup that now is where I think my headphone quest ends. Though sometimes I wish the Mjolnir wasn't so powerful, since paradoxically it makes my headphones sound so solid and lifelike -which is normally a good thing - that they loose their essential almost ethereal sense of 'electrostaticism'..... but I'm nit-picking. They destroy the only other headphones I currently own - Bose QC35mk2 - as they should, but I find sometimes their extremely open design means that they don't always meet my use case: listening to music whilst others in the room watch TV. With the Stax, I hear the TV almost as loud with the headphones on as with them off my head, and the others in the room can clearly hear my music too.... so I may - in time - add a quality closed back for such occasions.

But back to HD800s. They always sounded a bit thin (in hindsight - at the time I defended them) but overall were lovely headphones. They fleshed out a bit with a better amp, and the ear-cup fancy foam mod, but essentially I was never happy with the quantity of bass (though its quality was impeccable). Even the SR404 signature electrostatics ran rings around them in the bass department, against all preconceptions about what electrostatic cans are meant to sound like. My £500 SR4040 combo (SR404 and SRM-006T) was perhaps the best value headphone rig I've had, and makes the same money spent on HD800s seem a lot less sensible IF you can live with the fact that you can only use your 'stat cans in the one location.

ust the series from 580's to 800's are supposedly all similar

They certainly are not, Jez. The 800 series was a complete departure from their predecessors in tonal etc. terms (and price).

The HD700 and HD800/S are however different beasts entirely and anyone who can't hear the difference between these and the other HD models I mentioned is in desperate need of an ear-syringe!!

Indeed, as I mentioned to Jez above.

Yes, the HD800's (and 700's) are entirely different from the 5/600 range - Jez from what you said about soundstage I think you might actually like the 800's (as much as you might like any headphone) Rather than it going between your ears, they really present the soundstage as much more in front of you than any other headphone that I've tried. It's pinpoint sharp too (in terms of picking out instrument placement)
This is exactly why i am looking for some. I just really want to experience that soundstage. A bit hard to find some used ones though.

A bit hard to find some used ones though.

At the mo', I agree, but a year/18 months ago, there was a good choice on eBay, incl. the S ones. H'ph listening has been increasing over the past few years (smaller properties/smaller rooms?). Maybe time of year. Seems to be a run on power amps lately (only because that's my search area). Things change and it is just after Christmas, with new toys still interesting. :)

H'ph listening has been increasing over the past few years (smaller properties/smaller rooms?).
Yes, this is probably the correct assumption. Particularly given the work from home explosion. At least that is one of the reasons why i am looking. Just got to keep on looking then.

I have used HD600's for a long time and had a chance to demo some 800's and Focal Clears at my local dealer a year ago. To be fair the amp used was an all in one Auralic (not sure of model), but the 800's sounded awful with absolutely no bass, whilst the Clears sounded very balanced, I didn't buy either.

I've not given up on the 800's as I have heard them sounding fantastic through a Naim DAC V1, so would expect my NJC to sound better. I should have taken them home for a proper demo with my amp

I'm enjoying some HD600s more than I did my HD800s. I ran them off some decent amplification (Oppo HA1) in balanced mode and single ended off a Weiss 202 DAC which itself has a good headphone stage. The HD800s were extremely impressive, the HD600s underwhelming on direct comparison. But then on extended listening I became more of the view that the 800s were a bit hyped in some aspects of their presentation. I found the soundstage a bit exaggerated and some upper mid aspects a little sterile - I sold them.

I wouldn't make any bold claims for the HD600s, perhaps my expectations are lower but they don't do anything that I find distracting and I have tended to appreciate them more and more as I use them. There is no big soundstage but everything in it is clearly presented. They seem pretty neutral in a good way, they are not bass monsters but still seem to have plenty enough for me. Very comfortable too and that is essential if they are not to spend all their time on a hook.

The HD800s were extremely impressive, the HD600s underwhelming on direct comparison. But then on extended listening I became more of the view that the 800s were a bit hyped in some aspects of their presentation. I found the soundstage a bit

My Elears are better cans but I'm happy to grab my 650s if they're more convenient. not a lot of difference between 600s and 650s (well, hardly any, really). Can't part with either.

Well. I think I managed to source some hd800. Now I need another piece of advice. What is a good amp in the <200 or 300 pds range to powers these cans.

Another (original) HD800 user here!
Had mine about 3.5yrs and no plans to change
Mine have the "ring mod" to smooth them out....and a (longer) cardiz cable (£300?)
They are driven by a modest arcam rhead amp (though with a £400 Shawn Jacobs power supply)
For a modest setup they sound lovely and I can listen for hours without tiring (driven directly by a Naim NDS / 555ps)

advertisement

Back