LP12/Kore/Norton/Audiomods Classic/Metal bodied 103

Cambridge CXC/Maplin DAC

Nakamichi 600

Toshiba Satellite/M2Tech HiFace Two

Logitech Squeezebox Touch

Naim NAC42.5/Hi-Cap TPR4

ZAP 120 (DIY NAP120/250 hybrid)

Linn Kan Mk1/K20 cable/Sound Organisation wall brackets

Plus a Loricraft PRC-3 record cleaning machine.

There's other stuff too, that I can rotate through this system:

Naim NAC22, NAC12N, NAC12S, NAP 120, Linn Lingo 1

My second system sees a lot more use than the main system and runs on low volume when I’m in my study.

PRDmauJ.jpg

ProAc D20R speakers, standing on pieces of board so they can be moved
Rega Planar 3 turntable for vinyl although rarely used these days
Nytech CTA 252 tuner amp, now only needed for vinyl
Pro-Ject CD Box RS transport
Chord M-Scaler
Chord Hugo TT2. This is used for DAC, pre-amp and power amp duties.
Fusion5 Windows 10 tablet to stream internet radio and Tidal to the Chord via USB

The PC in the picture is very old and now only used to rip vinyl as it has a suitable ADC input.

Interesting to see quite a few commenting that they listen more on their second system than their main.
Same here, i'd say about 90/10 and when the main system is on it mainly as surround for netflix / youtube etc.

Although my main system is pretty decent in surround, I feel it is slightly overkill and too much boxes / space compared to the use. Thinking about going to a simpler AV set-up (thinking an AV receiver and some onwall speakers) and maybe a separate stereo system - something like Buchardt A500.

I'm in the process of creating an alternative first system and general living area in my bedroom so that I've got somewhere else, somewhere cool to sit during the hottest days/evenings of summer: my living room faces towards the west and so once those sandstone blocks at the front of the building start soaking up all that heat, it just makes my living room extremely uncomfortable going on unbearable. Seriously, temperatures inside can easily reach 27 degrees during a heatwave with very little reduction in heat overnight. Fwiw, my bedroom faces towards the east so it only sees direct sunshine in the morning, hence why it's a comparatively cooler room in the afternoon and evening.

I had a computer desk system already but I've shifted my computer somewhere else and I'll be getting rid of the computer desk and I'm now putting things together, but with some upgrades seeing as I'll be spending more time there over the next few months. I bought this 32" TV so I can watch stuff and on the audio side of things, my system will be:

Sources: Technics 1210GR; Bluesound Node 2i
DAC: Chord Qutest
Amp: Rega IO (I'll be using its onboard phono stage)
Speakers: Kralk Audio BC-30

I've already mounted my TV and speakers on the wall but I've still got some things to get sorted. I'll take some pics once it's done.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

LP12/Kore/Norton/Audiomods Classic/Metal bodied 103

Cambridge CXC/Maplin DAC

Nakamichi 600

Toshiba Satellite/M2Tech HiFace Two

Logitech Squeezebox Touch

Naim NAC42.5/Hi-Cap TPR4

ZAP 120 (DIY NAP120/250 hybrid)

Linn Kan Mk1/K20 cable/Sound Organisation wall brackets

Plus a Loricraft PRC-3 record cleaning machine.

There's other stuff too, that I can rotate through this system:

Naim NAC22, NAC12N, NAC12S, NAP 120, Linn Lingo 1
I used to have the Maplin Dac. Does it sound decent with the transport? I thought it was very good for the price.

Out with the old computer/bedroom system...

51496283908_62a0b57cdf_c.jpg

... and in with the new, alternative main system for when the living room gets too hot to handle:

52159696438_e8e6ac5ed8_c.jpg

Sources: Technics 1210GR; Bluesound Node 2i
DAC: Chord Qutest
Amp: Rega IO (I'll be using its onboard phono stage)
Speakers: Kralk Audio BC-30

As you can probably imagine, there's a TV behind the towel, which I use to reduce reflections and to keep the new TV nice and clean. And although you can't see them, the Chord Qutest and Bluesound Node 2i are sitting on a half-depth Besta shelf above the Rega IO: the Qutest and Bluesound Node are too wide to share a shelf with the IO and so to make sure that the amp has plenty of space above it for dissipating heat, I opted for a half-depth shelf rather than a full-depth shelf; the Besta unit has pre-drilled holes to accommodate this option as per user preference so no additional work needed on my part.

As you can see in the pics, I leave a white Besta door in front of the Besta unit when not in use as it looks better imo than the open unit - it hides the cable mess for one thing - and I've installed a cheap throw some damping between the 'bed base' and the supporting beams to reduce reflections as well. I've still to put up a small shelf somewhere above the right speaker, and yes, those two pictures are the same, just that one of them is phase inverted at 180° - I'll leave it up to you to figure out which.

52160184875_a2f1dd933c_c.jpg

52159696613_12505768c4_c.jpg

52159693671_7283e1b73f_c.jpg

52160184735_3633d70477_c.jpg

As for where my computer went, well that's now at the end of my bed. Fwiw, I only use this computer (a mac mini running Windows in Bootcamp) for managing my digital music - ripping CDs, converting formats, and things like that - so it's no real inconvenience to sit at the end of my bed for 10-15 minutes every now and again.

52160184745_13ffef9f2a_c.jpg

Last edited:
My second system is in the bedroom: Naim Atom next to the Virgin TC cable box and a pair of Shahinian Compasses on ancient
granite stands. You don't need a picture of my bedroom...

Another work system getting the lions share of listening.
Cheap Oppo phone, Chromecast, Teac AH500, Mission bookshelf speakers ( model?).
Running all day, most days...

advertisement

Back