advertisement

Second system

Margin_walker

pfm Member
I love looking at everyone's fancy main set-ups on here, but I have found I'm listening to my office system much more during lockdown. Let's see your second system, office system, garage system...

Mine is Quad 33, FM3, 303, a Chromecast audio, Technics SL7 and Rega RS1. It all sounds lovely, but I do have a bit of an urge to try some nice sealed boxes at some point.

Former 2nd system glory (until a few weeks ago):

50747377397_6fa4383565_c.jpg

SMSL SA-50 amp and an RPi streamer hidden under the table. It was my main system after the main system went away, and now this one is gone! Time to put a new system together when we get settled.

Former 2nd system glory (until a few weeks ago):

50747377397_6fa4383565_c.jpg

SMSL SA-50 amp and an RPi streamer hidden under the table. It was my main system after the main system went away, and now this one is gone! Time to put a new system together when we get settled.
Is that a Lian Li PC case? Looks a bit similar to cases I used way back in XP days for custom builds when I ran as an OEM.

51187784948_6772ffd8a6_b.jpg

Currently Marantz SA8005 SACD player, Audio Synthesis Pro Passion, Leak TL12 Plus and Falcon LS3/5As, though Leak Stereo 20 and JR149s also available.

PS I rate it at the same level as the main system, just different a different viewpoint, plus obviously limited source material-wise as it is digital-only. It is a stunningly good system with either Leak amp or speakers.

51187784948_6772ffd8a6_b.jpg

Currently Marantz SA8005 SACD player, Audio Synthesis Pro Passion, Leak TL12 Plus and Falcon LS3/5As, though Leak Stereo 20 and JR149s also available.

PS I rate it at the same level as the main system, just different a different viewpoint, plus obviously limited source material-wise as it is digital-only. It is a stunningly good system with either Leak amp or speakers.
That’s a lovely setup, small, simple, elegant and no doubt sounds wonderful… the second system I’m enjoying most is the Naim CD/Amp combo with the Royd speakers, it’s about as simple and compact as it gets for a HIFI separates system and it just gets on with the job of playing music… so long as it’s on CD anyway. A full active Kaber system does feel a bit OTT for a second system, and whilst it’s technically superior (almost forensic in detail retrieval), I don’t think it’s as involving/musical as the little Naim/Royd combo, it does a really good job of just disappearing.

Office/2nd system. Swapped and tried lots of kit in and out during lockdown.

ProAc 115/Iso 155 stands
1200GR/Various Carts
D90 MQA
Phono Sig + Pre2DAC
PSX + PSX
X Power + X Power
PSX + PSX​

Lovely ! If this is your second system, your first must be insanely good !
Never been thinking of these Proac as desktop speakers but I love the idea.........

Office/2nd system. Swapped and tried lots of kit in and out during lockdown.

ProAc 115/Iso 155 stands
1200GR/Various Carts
D90 MQA
Phono Sig + Pre2DAC
PSX + PSX
X Power + X Power
PSX + PSX​

Seeing a Cadenza bronze sitting there as an option makes me feel green with envy, I love the Cadenza range (all of them)… my LP12 really deserves a bronze!

It’s an NZXT H210 mini-itx case. Really nice quality, easy to build with, and not expensive.

338451.858d6d4d02b411d742fbac235bdef6c7.1600.jpg

338451.e1d6a0a34b28ee4df3c6669314cb7658.1600.jpg
Very tidy build! Very rare we build these days, supply clients with mainly Dell and the odd Intel NUC. I run a Hades at home and Alenware Alpha at work for a bit of CoD.

office.jpeg

This week's is: Lenco GL75 with Jelco 250 and Ortofon SPU #1 E, Shigaraki CD transport, Project Dac Box S2+, Project Phono Box DS2, Quad 33, Elekit TU8100 valve amp, DIY Jordan JX92S speakers.

Next week's might be a Thorens TD150 MKii with Jelco arm and Ortofon Rohmann into the Project Phono Box, same digital front end, a home made dual mono passive pre using Khozmo mono stepped attenuators into either a NAP 140 or a DIY TDA2030 chip amp, into LS3/5as. I swap the systems around every couple of weeks, since I'm listening to them all the time.

My second system is out of action at the moment, because the room it's in is in the process of being 'sorted out' by Mrs H. When in operation, it consists of an Exposure CD player, Exposure pre/power amps, Harbeth P3ESR speakers, an AR turntable with Rega arm and Ortofon MC10 cartridge, and Stax headphones.

It’s an NZXT H210 mini-itx case. Really nice quality, easy to build with, and not expensive.

I agree. I recently built a system for my daughter in one on those. Not bad at all, pleasant to work in, the holes and tappings are all cut correctly, great looking and a reasonable airflow - they're not really in the spirit of low volume ITX cases but maybe the mainstream is getter there.

advertisement

Back