advertisement

Sean Jacobs DC3 Power Supply in da house

£1600 for a power supply! Good luck with that. I suppose you saved on the £4,400 job.
when I upgraded from modwright 36.5 to one with separate psu it cost a lot more than that. They can make such a huge difference as many naim owners know

when I upgraded from modwright 36.5 to one with separate psu it cost a lot more than that. They can make such a huge difference as many naim owners know

Yeh but if you plugged the same power supply in to a £150 Rotel you’re not going to hear a difference....so clearly power supplies do not make a difference ;)

But the nervous audiophile seems to cling on to dragons that have long been slain

Modern well engineered DACs and Streamers have built in, state of the art power supplies and reclocking systems.
Rendering obsolete, external linear power supplies, reclockers and all sorts of USB and ethernet filters/switches.

Available for £ 5/1200.

Your choice.

Putting a noisy power supply in the same box as extremely sensitive electronics means it isn’t properly engineered..

116706770_3115377378578349_4653422582841814614_n.jpg

My £ 700 DAC (SMSL M400).
Note the matchbox sized universal SMPS power supply ( top left), the Accusilicon clocks ( bottom right) and the Xmos chip (bottom middle).

It cares not, what mains lead you connect it by, nor what source of USB you feed it with.

It just works superbly.

I could attach £ 60000 worth of power supplies, reclockers and network switches to it and it would sound.......just the same.

It measures the same as the £ 9 K Mola Mola DAC, for some perspective.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../smsl-m400-balanced-usb-mqa-dac-review.13732/

116706770_3115377378578349_4653422582841814614_n.jpg

My £ 700 DAC (SMSL M400).
Note the matchbox sized universal SMPS power supply ( top left), the Accusilicon clocks ( bottom right) and the Xmos chip (bottom middle).

It cares not, what mains lead you connect it by, nor what source of USB you feed it with.

It just works superbly.

I could attach £ 60000 worth of power supplies, reclockers and network switches to it and it would sound.......just the same.

It measures the same as the £ 9 K Mola Mola DAC, for some perspective.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../smsl-m400-balanced-usb-mqa-dac-review.13732/

I understand it may ‘work superbly’, but on a high resolution, truly transparent system it will sound like a bag of nails. I had the misfortune of hearing the RME Dac on my system a few weeks ago...my word it was awful compared to the Boulder...

That boulder measures worse than my Gustard.

@ the timenator, he did the guts for the phoenix, thats a linear psu feeding a partially filled paralleled lt3045 pcb and a xmos usb in and out board.

You could build that yourself for 400 sans case using available modules.

Shame you couldn't clearly state that at the time then - you deliberately omitted to do so I think, in order to make other Innuos products look bad (still not 100% correct by the way, as a note for future readers). People reading these forums that don't know the answers for themselves will assume you know exactly what you're talking about, you certainly give that impression, and the result is yet more misinformation spread around the internet. If you have an axe to grind with a product, then give your opinion of course but please don't present your guesses as facts. You and several others on this site are guilty of this time and time again i'm afraid.

Shame you couldn't clearly state that at the time then - you deliberately omitted to do so I think, in order to make other Innuos products look bad (still not 100% correct by the way, as a note for future readers). People reading these forums that don't know the answers for themselves will assume you know exactly what you're talking about, you certainly give that impression, and the result is yet more misinformation spread around the internet. If you have an axe to grind with a product, then give your opinion of course but please don't present your guesses as facts. You and several others on this site are guilty of this time and time again i'm afraid.
That’s him in a nutshell

I've had it for c.3 weeks now and it's probably had 150 hours of use. Throughout this time (from 0-c.50 hours) it has gone through stages of sounding superb and a bit flat, but for the past week or so it has settled right down and the sound is now consistently excellent.

Last night I'd thought I'd throw my old power supply back on to see if it was just a case of getting used to the new sound, or whether it was in fact any better. Well that was a real shocker moment! The old power supply sounded thin, brittle and compared to the DC3, the bass sounded like it had been turned down c.6db! I couldn't recommend the DC3 highly enough, so much so that I'm going to get on the phone to Sean about a DC4....damn you Fourlegs!!

Glad you're happy with the PSU. I have two of Sean's PSUs on bits and bobs you really wouldn't expect to be improved by them but have. And he's a great person to deal with. But you know all about that. Just a pity you couldn't post your findings without getting the predictable put-downs from mouse-click experts spouting nonsense.

How is the realtively high output impedance affecting practical use?

Fine I have just paired it with a Topping Pre90 which interestingly has low input impedance.
I enjoy the experience of listening to near zero distortion, though I suspect others see it as too 'clinical'. Though oddly I see OLED TV screen pictures as too glossy.

yet more misinformation spread around the internet.

Putting a noisy power supply in the same box as extremely sensitive electronics means it isn’t properly engineered

If my M400 were not properly engineered ( as it does have the power supply in the same box). Then the noise (ripple) would permeate the rest of the DAC and manifest itself as THD and Noise on the outputs that I listen to.

The Boulder DAC quotes a SNR of 115 dB (presumably with their own external power supply)

Yet my M400 has SNR of 127.5dB (though maximum output is 5.4V -XLR )

The Boulder DAC claims THD+N of 0.0008%.

The M400 has THD+N of 0.00007% (the additional zero is not a typo).

I know which I think is the better engineered DAC.

Maybe connect the Boulder up to a 'better' power supply and hook it up to an Audio Precision Analyser and show how the results have improved.

Follow the science.

advertisement

Back