advertisement

Sean Jacobs DC3 Power Supply in da house

Thetiminator

Painfully virile
After reading Fourlegs review of the Sean's DC4 power supply, I thought I'd take the plunge and replace my (ageing) Longdog/MCRU power supply, which was £850 c.10 years ago...perhaps £1200 in todays money? The Longdog/MCRU was custom made for my server, to replace the switched mode power supply (just to get me going) that my custom built server came with. I remember back then that I was more than happy with the improvement in SQ, the main changes were that the sound was much more realistic, more analogue sounding, bigger sounding, with much better and fuller bass.

Stumping up the £4400 for the DC4 was a bit too much on a punt that it would bring much of an improvement on the well respected Longdog/MCRU supplies. Although, I believe Sean makes the power supplies in the excellent Innuous stuff so his credentials were good, and over the years my experience with anything digital is really high end sound comes from excellent power supplies and re-clocking. So, after a quick chat with Fourlegs I gave Sean a rang and stumped up the £1600 for the DC3.

Sean was extremely helpful and ran me through all the options, he told me waiting time would be 2-3 weeks but it landed after a week. Under promising and over delivering is rare in this day and age, but it does increase the customer service satisfaction factor. Well done Sean!

So the DC3 arrived, very well made and packaged and I (must admit very nervously) gave it a try stone cold. In short, there was an immediate improvement in that the DC3 brought a level of naturalness and smoothness to the sound, but the biggest difference was to the bass, it was much more powerful, deeper and had a lot more punch.
The next day was a different matter though.....it sounded like a total pig! The sound was flat, dull and lumpy....that was a nervous day with me wondering if I'd just blown £1600.
Not to worry though, the next day it was back to the sound I got on day one, clearly it needed a bit of running in.

I've had it for c.3 weeks now and it's probably had 150 hours of use. Throughout this time (from 0-c.50 hours) it has gone through stages of sounding superb and a bit flat, but for the past week or so it has settled right down and the sound is now consistently excellent.

Last night I'd thought I'd throw my old power supply back on to see if it was just a case of getting used to the new sound, or whether it was in fact any better. Well that was a real shocker moment! The old power supply sounded thin, brittle and compared to the DC3, the bass sounded like it had been turned down c.6db! I couldn't recommend the DC3 highly enough, so much so that I'm going to get on the phone to Sean about a DC4....damn you Fourlegs!!

brilliant . i run a dc3 with my bel canto pre vbs . its made quite an improvement to bass and well worth every penny

Yeah, Sean's a great guy to deal with. DC3 here. Still exploring possibilities of where best to use it in my system.

Yes I had a HDPLEX years ago and it was a very good thing....until one day it decided to throw out as much power it could possibly muster and took out everything connected to it :(

Well of coarse my server was built to use a separate power supply.
Putting a noisy power supply in the same box as extremely sensitive electronics (basically everything) means it isn’t properly engineered...it’s built down to a price or for convenience with performance to match that price/convenience..

I’ve heard for myself what improvements a low noise PS can make to say a DAC. So you feed your PC with a really nice clean and super quiet PS. There’s only one problem, well lots of examples of the same problem to be more accurate . . .

advertisement

Back