advertisement

Screw length needed to hold in brick behind lathe & plaster

I've tested a 5mm screw in the french cleats and they fit fine, however the 'countersunk' section of the head does protrude out from the bracket quite far. I've also tested a 5mm round-headed screw in the cleat and it seats better. I'm therefore going to purchase some 100mm round heads and use these with the rawl plugs and steel bridging sleeves that come with the Corefix screws. My question is: should I be looking for round heads with only a partially-threaded shaft or will a fully-threaded shaft do the job equally well?
For 9kg? I think you'll be OK either way. If you were holding up a Land Rover's suspension assembly then bolts are stronger if they are only threaded for part of their length, because there is less metal removed. Other than that, you could hold up 9 kg with 4 well placed matchsticks.

My amazon order arrived this afternoon. What's wrong with this picture? (Hint: it relates to maths.)

corefix.jpg

Site worklights, power tool leads etc etc on building sites. The kind of thing where over the course of a day you might keep moving an reel in tens of metres.../ need to keep out of the way of other trades: simple and effective. But - skyhooks.

My amazon order arrived this afternoon. What's wrong with this picture? (Hint: it relates to maths.)

corefix.jpg
Like you, I’ve been hoping for a practical recommendation on the thread. I’ve lived in a number of properties with lath and plaster and it’s a nightmare. Managed to mount a wall shelf for my LP12 35 years ago on two vertical batons screwed into it but resting on the top of a tall , profiled skirting board in an 1863 building. It has the stiffness and load bearing capacity of rice pudding.
Our 1900 house in Bearsden mercifully had plaster on brick for the internal walls as does the 1829 place we are in now- the year Mendelssohn stayed with his publisher George Hogarth just up the road from us.

Like you, I’ve been hoping for a practical recommendation on the thread. I’ve lived in a number of properties with lath and plaster and it’s a nightmare. Managed to mount a wall shelf for my LP12 35 years ago on two vertical batons screwed into it but resting on the top of a tall , profiled skirting board in an 1863 building. It has the stiffness and load bearing capacity of rice pudding.
Our 1900 house in Bearsden mercifully had plaster on brick for the internal walls as does the 1829 place we are in now- the year Mendelssohn stayed with his publisher George Hogarth just up the road from us.
You think you've got problems, a mate of mine as a kid lived in an old farmhouse with an interior wall made of wattle and daub. If you pushed it firmly it would move. Needless to say it didn't have anything bigger than a postcard attached to it!

We need an update? Did the screw kit work or are the diffusers hurtling to the centre of the earth?

advertisement

Back