advertisement

Scottish Politics II

That depends what you read as there would appear to be two sides to every story.

Regards

Richard

Yes like Johnson wouldn't be all for letting them go, were that remotely the case. The logical extension of the parochial "support" case you make, is that we just leave London and the SE on it's own.

Yes like Johnson wouldn't be all for letting them go, were that remotely the case. The logical extension of the parochial "support" case you make, is that we just leave London and the SE on it's own.

Sounds good to me - can we just go back to the EU then and leave all the Brexit areas to fend for themselves?

Not sure why Scotland can't set its own referendum terms. Seems fair. And as to whether it can survive after independence, I think it will thrive. It won't be easy in the beginning of course (Eastern Europe struggled as well) but like most sensible countries it will rely on tax, revenue, international financial markets and wonderful organisations like the EU to help it chart its own course. Add in an educated population and rich cultural and natural resources, and the future is bright.

^
As long as it's other people doing the struggling I guess that will be ok?

On the first point, apparently "Westminster approval (eg the UK govt of which Scotland is part) are the rules", rules which I assume Scotland and the rest of the UK agreed to many years ago. As we all know, rules are to be obeyed, or is that just EU rules? Anyway, if those are not the rules, then what's the delay? They should crack on and get the referendum done by the end of the year and if the decision is to become poorer, crack on and have that done within the next 12 months.

Not sure why Scotland can't set its own referendum terms. Seems fair. And as to whether it can survive after independence, I think it will thrive. It won't be easy in the beginning of course (Eastern Europe struggled as well) but like most sensible countries it will rely on tax, revenue, international financial markets and wonderful organisations like the EU to help it chart its own course. Add in an educated population and rich cultural and natural resources, and the future is bright.
Them Scotch, they’re just a drain on us. Who do they think they are tryin to leave?

Them Scotch, they’re just a drain on us. Who do they think they are tryin to leave?
Is that so? A drain, eh. Anyway, I disagree but do you have the detail showing Scotland is a drain on the UK?

How do you feel about a referendum asap and independence within the next year? Surely your party is all geared up for it after years of planning?

It doesn't occur to you that the support myth is just that, or Johnson would be granting a referendum before you could say "spaff".
Johnson knows which way this is heading- he’s not bothering his arse anymore as “Minister for The Union”- that’s been delegated to the Chancellor of the Duchy of Biscuit, Reichsmunchkin Gove who seems to be using the air fares for coming up and getting pissed/other in order to dance with strangers in Aberdeen pubs.
Meanwhile Labour seem to think de-nial is a a river and it’s going to get them somewhere.
ceVpjbd.jpg

Ah, that would be Josep Borrell, who thought it beneath himself to resign as Spanish Foreign Minister following a conviction and 30k fine for fraud, nor did he (or indeed the EP) allow it to stand in the way of his appointment to the European Commission as the even more grandly-titled (of course, the EC would have to be grander than a mere sovereign entity) High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. It was he who was very publicly humiliated by Putin on an ill-advised visit to Russia earlier this year.

Anyway, are we surprised that a dedicated Europhile trough feeder is uttering positive noises about consolidating the EU whilst further belittling Britain?

Ah, when a ‘public humiliation of someone by Putin’ becomes a prize to be celebrated. Brexit-Putin eh? Since we’re on the Scottish Politics thread, here’s something a little more germane to the topic. It appears Boris’s vaccine bounce and lies about how the EU would have stopped us getting vaccinated have now worn off.

sbjUa4v.jpg

The trend in favour of independence is back. If anything it’ll improve as the ‘benefits’ of Brexit continue to manifest into the winter.

No answers as usual.

There will be much angst and crying in the coming months from the nationalists...

Ah, when a ‘public humiliation of someone by Putin’ becomes a prize to be celebrated. Brexit-Putin eh? Since we’re on the Scottish Politics thread, here’s something a little more germane to the topic. It appears Boris’s vaccine bounce and lies about how the EU would have stopped us getting vaccinated have now worn off.

sbjUa4v.jpg

The trend in favour of independence is back. If anything it’ll improve as the ‘benefits’ of Brexit continue to manifest into the winter.

It's quite strange, really, a sort of left brain/right brain anomaly. Here you have evidence cited (as in the 'benefits' of Brexit) that leaving the client entity that accounts for 14% of your GDP hurts badly as an ever stronger reason to cut ties with a union that accounts for 34% of your GDP, with the intention (or hope) of subsuming yourself into one that accounts for just... 14% of your GDP.

There's a further anomaly; the UK paid for the 'privileges' of membership of the EU. Scotland now gets paid to be a part of the extraordinarily successful Union in which it has long played a leading and often decisive role.

I have every faith that Prime Minister Johnson will drive the independence majority as hard as he did in 2020 when we saw a 13% lead in the yes vs no vote. I believe his best work is ahead of him and that Nicola Sturgeon simply has to wait while he does the heavy lifting: increasing the tax burden on the lowest paid, continuing to damage Scotland’s export businesses, corruptly lining the pockets of his friends while spewing out anti-European and anti-immigrant rhetoric.

There was no economic upside to leaving the EU. Quite the opposite. There is a political upside for Scottish independence. There is an economic upside to join the EU but it will affect Scottish / England trade In the short term. The balance of these things remain to be seen.

Scotlands GDP is in the middle rank of the EU countries, think Ireland, Denmark etc.. both of which are viable economic entities. Why is Scotland different?

Oh to be rid of the lying Tories and their apologists.

sbjUa4v.jpg

I do like a good pie chart but I am surprised the percentage wanting to Leave was not higher. Anyway, a couple of observations:
1. the 2% lead for independence Is less than the statistical error generally quoted by pollsters
2. my O level maths reckons that means about 18 more people expressed a preference for independence than the status quo - eighteen (1,8) - so we are being asked to believe 18 is a big number and enough to justify irrevocable political change but 1,300,000 (the Brexit referendum margin) was not. Nowt funnier than folk.

There was no economic upside to leaving the EU. Quite the opposite. There is a political upside for Scottish independence. There is an economic upside to join the EU but it will affect Scottish / England trade In the short term. The balance of these things remain to be seen.

Scotlands GDP is in the middle rank of the EU countries, think Ireland, Denmark etc.. both of which are viable economic entities. Why is Scotland different?

Oh to be rid of the lying Tories and their apologists.

Even Mrs Sturgeon's own economic adviser has stated that comparisons to Denmark are for the fairies. He has also said the Scottish independence from the UK would be, in economic terms, Brexit x 10.

The Tories will be gone, sooner or later. Scotland will be out of one of the most successful unions in history forever.

You are dreaming if you think the Tories will be gone soon. The entire power structure of the UK and all the vested interests support them and their goals. The people of Scotland have made their view of the Tories clear at the ballot box.

“Successful union”. More patronising shite. Successful for who?

advertisement

Back