advertisement

Scottish Politics II

Successful for all of us, Colin. You clearly either have no clue of history, or you've drunk so deeply of that sweet fountain of Scottish victimhood that you've lost the plot.

Ah yes, another Tory trope much loved by The Spectator readership, victimhood. In the words and lies of their current Prime Minister, referring to the people of Liverpool this time:

They ‘resent their victim status’, he opined, yet they ‘wallow in it’. A key element in their ‘flawed psychological state’ was a profound failure ‘to accept that they might have made any contribution to their misfortunes’.

“The mawkish sentimentality of a society that has become hooked on grief and likes to wallow in a sense of vicarious victimhood”.

“That is no excuse for Liverpool’s failure to acknowledge, even to this day, the part played in the disaster by drunken fans at the back of the crowd who mindlessly tried to fight their way into the ground that Saturday afternoon”.

Is this some attempt by the Scotnats to annexe Liverpool?

Haven't you got enough on your plate already?

You are dreaming if you think the Tories will be gone soon. The entire power structure of the UK and all the vested interests support them and their goals. The people of Scotland have made their view of the Tories clear at the ballot box.

“Successful union”. More patronising shite. Successful for who?

Talk about ignorance.

Fascinating how those economically insulated, in the exact same way as the tories such as Mogg and others in relation to Brexit, are so unconcerned by the economic difficulties others will face when they take Scotland out of the UK, denying others the same opportunities they have benefitted from that has helped them to get to where they are today.

You really couldn't make up the hypocrisy.

Anyway, what about you, Colin? Your fellow traveller never utters an interesting word, it's beneath him to post anything in good faith. Are you up for independence within the next year? Although nobody knows what it is, the nationalist party surely has a plan or do you not know what you're voting for?

Successful for all of us, Colin. You clearly either have no clue of history, or you've drunk so deeply of that sweet fountain of Scottish victimhood that you've lost the plot.

All of us……mmm. Sounds like the usual misguided arrogance that what’s good for the England (but basically London and the SE) is good for everywhere in the UK?

Being accused of losing the plot and told what’s good for me and the rest of the country by a rabid Brexiteer, ex-public school wine merchant from the Home Counties is an embodiment of the self-regarding Tory arrogance that Scotland can well do without.

We’re not going to be able to fund anything unless the labour shortage and demographic deficit of young working age, tax and N.I paying people in Scotland is addressed. Who’s going to fund your state pension and use of the NHS? We are around 300,000 young productive citizens short.

Forgive me for punting this back over to this thread but as it is Scotland specific......

Alex Salmond made this point previously i.e. needing people in work to fund the economy and I don't disagree with it.

A BBC article from back in April claimed that the then Scottish 4.4% unemployment figure amounted to 120,000 people between 16 - 64. How many of those qualify for your term young I don't know.

I'm not clear what these 300,000 people would be doing as they clearly need to getting paid in order to pay tax/ NI. I'm all for seeing this 300k employed but what are you suggesting they would be doing?

I'm still paying tax and NI at age 64..............

Regards

Richard

All of us……mmm. Sounds like the usual misguided arrogance that what’s good for the England (but basically London and the SE) is good for everywhere in the UK?

Being accused of losing the plot and told what’s good for me and the rest of the country by a rabid Brexiteer, ex-public school wine merchant from the Home Counties is an embodiment of the self-regarding Tory arrogance that Scotland can well do without.

Well, what can I say. You've certainly laid bare some prejudices there.

Going back to your assertion that the tories are here to stay, I assure you that you're talking balderdash. Support for Johnson and the government is currently and very rapidly hemorrhaging, and from the core outwards.

Ah, that would be Josep Borrell, who thought it beneath himself to resign as Spanish Foreign Minister following a conviction and 30k fine for fraud, nor did he (or indeed the EP) allow it to stand in the way of his appointment to the European Commission as the even more grandly-titled (of course, the EC would have to be grander than a mere sovereign entity) High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. It was he who was very publicly humiliated by Putin on an ill-advised visit to Russia earlier this year.

Anyway, are we surprised that a dedicated Europhile trough feeder is uttering positive noises about consolidating the EU whilst further belittling Britain?
He was prosecuted for fraud and corruption while holding public office. What a novel idea!
Do you think it could catch on here?

Well, what can I say. You've certainly laid bare some prejudices there.

Going back to your assertion that the tories are here to stay, I assure you that you're talking balderdash. Support for Johnson and the government is currently and very rapidly hemorrhaging, and from the core outwards.

And you make the mistake of confusing support for Johnson and for the Tories as one and the same thing.
Johnson's raison d'être for the Tories is to win elections. When the real powers in the Tory party think he is a liability he will be gone and replaced by an acceptable face for the electorate who will maintain the status quo.
The Tories are merely the publicly "acceptable" face of the establishment, aristo's, landed gentry, the public school elite (headed by Eton), the media owners and the offshore money men.

Gove to Housing Ministry, we have lost the finest Minister for the Union in a generation. Who can fill his boots and carry the torch now?

cometh the hour…..to the dance floors of Aberdeen

j4MsLyB.jpg

Last edited:
Forgive me but who is in charge?

Regards

Richard

These are cheap shots, Richard. Rejoicing in someone else’s misfortune is not very edifying and, as Gav and others have pointed out, it’s mostly down to the kids going back to school early in Scotland. Wait a month and the rest of the UK will be in the same boat.

These are cheap shots, Richard. Rejoicing in someone else’s misfortune

Hardly rejoicing!! I am trying to work out the logic currently in place. Just heard about a near neighbour with two kids. One child has been advised they need to isolate as they have been in contact with an infected child. The other child also had to isolate but both parents are free to go about their business as normal?

Who am I to question government policy?

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back