advertisement

Schiit Sol Turntable

Your observations have been noted.

Anyone who understands or has an interest in turntables could set this up, even your Linn dealer (for the usual fee plus expenses).
I wouldn't be able to do it, definitely. I doubt anyone would set it up for free but personally I would pay someone to do so. The review suggests otherwise re the ease of set up etc. Is it only sold direct this product?

Non-adjistible feet may be a problem for users who have racks with non-adjistible shelves...maybe half of us.

Pretty warts and all user experience here with some good photos and frank description of the problems incurred setting up the Sol turntable.

He starts off by saying "Didn't I say that this is not a turntable for beginners?" which is an understatement but should not detract from the concept or implementation of an uber adjustable enthusiasts machine. Those requiring 'Plug and play' look away now!

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-sol-turntable-review-episodic.8291/

The below email is a copy/paste from Jason Stoddard (one of the two schiit lead partners) in a forum superbestaudiofriends:

Okay, so here's the deal: we dun phucked up. We should have done a beta.

Soooooo...let's do a beta.

Soon, all Sol owners will be getting an email that goes something like this:

Okay, so it looks like the Sol launch has uncovered a lot more problems than we expected. Please accept our apologies for any trouble you may have had. We want this to be a really exceptional turntable, so we're putting a pause on sales.

We're also making you the following offer: please keep your Sol and help us improve it.

If you choose to do so, we'll refund $300 of the Sol's original price, making your cost $499. Then, we will send you a selected set of updates and changes to improve your Sol. Also, if you have any functional problems right now (like wobbling platters), we will swap those parts as well. And, at the end of the beta period, if you still aren't happy, we'll refund the rest of your purchase price.

Alternately, if you're just done with Sol right now, that's fine too. Contact us for an RA and we will refund 100% of your purchase price, taxes and shipping when we receive it back.

We sincerely hope you'll help us make Sol what it should be. If not, we completely understand.

So, yeah, I hope you stick with it. We're going to be doing everything we need to make this right, up to and including flying out Conrad to help us in real time. When we know a bit more, we can start sending updates to the beta testers. With luck, we'll be able to address the problems you've had and start shipping again within a month or two. If not, it might take a little longer. And when we relaunch, we'll make sure every turntable is pre-set-up for a "typical" cartridge, and there will be a standard cartridge option.

Again, apologies for the stupidity.

_________

Guys, rarely in life do you see this level of responsible, honest, straight forward and respectable ownership over one's mistakes. If every company acted like this the world would be a better place.

Did they make mistakes? Sure. You can beat schiit up about that if you so choose. But they are a ship direct-to-customer company, and they want to make it right. Very respectable IMO.

The below email is a copy/paste from Jason Stoddard (one of the two schiit lead partners) in a forum superbestaudiofriends:

Okay, so here's the deal: we dun phucked up. We should have done a beta.

Soooooo...let's do a beta.

Soon, all Sol owners will be getting an email that goes something like this:

Okay, so it looks like the Sol launch has uncovered a lot more problems than we expected. Please accept our apologies for any trouble you may have had. We want this to be a really exceptional turntable, so we're putting a pause on sales.

We're also making you the following offer: please keep your Sol and help us improve it.

If you choose to do so, we'll refund $300 of the Sol's original price, making your cost $499. Then, we will send you a selected set of updates and changes to improve your Sol. Also, if you have any functional problems right now (like wobbling platters), we will swap those parts as well. And, at the end of the beta period, if you still aren't happy, we'll refund the rest of your purchase price.

Alternately, if you're just done with Sol right now, that's fine too. Contact us for an RA and we will refund 100% of your purchase price, taxes and shipping when we receive it back.

We sincerely hope you'll help us make Sol what it should be. If not, we completely understand.

So, yeah, I hope you stick with it. We're going to be doing everything we need to make this right, up to and including flying out Conrad to help us in real time. When we know a bit more, we can start sending updates to the beta testers. With luck, we'll be able to address the problems you've had and start shipping again within a month or two. If not, it might take a little longer. And when we relaunch, we'll make sure every turntable is pre-set-up for a "typical" cartridge, and there will be a standard cartridge option.

Again, apologies for the stupidity.

_________

Guys, rarely in life do you see this level of responsible, honest, straight forward and respectable ownership over one's mistakes. If every company acted like this the world would be a better place.

Did they make mistakes? Sure. You can beat schiit up about that if you so choose. But they are a ship direct-to-customer company, and they want to make it right. Very respectable IMO.
Can't argue with that.

Could see some of the problems a mile off,and why is the power switch so close to the arm - a unipivot at that!
An accident waiting to happen!
Simply badly (thought?) out.

I think it's just more about the level of experience with a mechanical device vs. an electronic one, and parties effectively jumping laterally in their field.

I think they should be judged on not only the post-beta version of this table, but the mk. 2 version and what they do after that.

In the end, the product one puts out is a reflection of their own personality, persona, mentality. It might take a few iterations to get there, but if you look at their other products in areas which they know WELL (like amplifiers and dacs), these guys are great.

I'd be a little bit concerned that they didn't spot these obvious issues before release, it's not like we're talking complex engineering faults people have picked up on but basic, fundamental stuff.

A fair bit of shade thrown re this product & observations there of but at least they are being addressed & hopefully sorted.

Your post makes no sense.

Rather than badly made it is well made for the niche market it is quite clearly designed for.

I expect it to do very well with buyers who enjoy tweaking and playing around with the various adjustments.

Anyone buying this expecting plug and play is going to have ‘badly bought’.
It’s a nice looking purist’s design. I’d probably have jumped at it when I was starting out and enjoyed setting it up and tweaking it. Must look for some comparative user reviews to get a handle on its SQ abilities.

advertisement

Back