advertisement

Schiit Sol Turntable

Fremer looked at one when he walked through at Rocky Mountain, fitted with a Decca Maroon. Said it sounded "great". Good start.

I really don't understand what someone was going on about ^ up there about it being "Badly designed" because the tonearm and platter are very adjustable....I agree with misterdog it doesn't make much sense. They made it adjustable such that the user could really get it set right for any given cartridge. That being said, where I feel the product **ON PAPER** under-delivers **SLIGHLTY** is the power supply for the drive system. It just worries me that you're at the mercy of household power and the wallwart with no ability to adjust speed without a third party PS. I'm sure there will offer something later, though, and the good news is that it won't be more than a few hundred dollars.

Also, guys complaining about the company name?? - a little late to the party.

From the perspective of cost effective design for manufacture it may, in some circumstances, be more economical to design for adjustment rather than high precision machined components. This becomes more applicable when there are multiple options or variations which are also associated with a price point in the market.

I too will be interested to hear it compared to the established competition.

@2many boxes, I'm afraid I have to disagree with your last post.
The internet 'should' be a place to advance humanity, not to promote your own ego as the poster in question is doing 'in my opinion'.

If you ever spend some six years designing and building a product only to see someone come on to a world wide forum and denounce your efforts as badly designed and built,with no explanation of your credentials for saying so, then I suspect you would be offended.

Why would a person who admits no interest in a product and offers nothing to show he has any knowledge of the subject even be reading such a thread.

I'm glad that people can afford a Linn LP12 and pay for a dealer to set it up for them.

Not everyone can though.

Back on topic now. :)

The engineering design choices of the Schiit Sol remind me of Kuzma Stabi turntable.

Kuzma-Stabi-S-12-Turntable-With-Stogi-12.jpg

3 point chassis.

3.2.1.31.-stabi-s-t-chassis-and-motor-tower.jpg

Offboard motor and a 12" unipivot arm.

kuzma-stogi-s12-vta-01_1.jpg

Though as can be seen, the engineering mass in parts of the Kuzma are more substantial than the Schitt.

Speed controller is optional and arm dressing of any unipivot is crucial.

So the design of the Schitt intrigues me and to see how far it can be taken given Schitt's choice of engineering production and use of materials.

The proof is in the pudding as they say but at it's price point the Schitt could take some beating.

MY biggest concern from seeing the video is the amount of lateral swing on the arm given that all the unipivots I'm familiar with have a much greater mass at the base of the yoke.

Looks like the sort of thing that will appeal to the budget conscious audiophile that doesn't wasn't a more conservative approach to TTs and tonearms, Rega or Project being the competition at that price. I'd like to think either the Avid Ingenium or Kumza Stabi (vaguely similar designs) would be much more substantial.

Not sure why made in the USA would make it any better than made in any of the other countries you list.

The OP was talking about the value for money - presumably because of labour costs being higher in the US compared to the far east.

If I know Schiit, the mk. 2 version will be MUCH better than this.

I think the product and it's aims are really laudable and innovative. The idea was to deliver a skeletal table with some serious design concepts in play (no plinth, large, REAL bearing, long unipivot, detached motor, solid construction, etc.) at a very, very affordable price. They succeeded for the most part. Right now they have some problems that need to be solved in execution; the headshell cramping leads, the leads coming out the back of the tonearm, the anti-skate, the belt, the speed control and lack of PS (note, this really isn't a tweak it's more of a larger absence), and some other items lingering.

But as a first stab it's not bad at all. I'm sure once set up correctly the VFM is quite high. I just know the mk. 2 is going to be a LOT better.

Not really fair that is it?
It wouldn't be, no, if that was the intent, but I don't believe it is.

Linn was often criticized with doing this but sometimes the accusation that this is "customer beta testing" is just not right.

Designers cannot think of everything. They can try, but they hardly ever succeed. Products ultimately do have to hit market. The Sol took 6 years of development. They certainly didn't think "Ah, we'll just rush this baby out the door and we'll figure out what's wrong with it later". Certain things just don't register on the radar until after you've released it, and customers bring stuff up. The lack of P/S is assuredly a choice, not an oversight. They tried to cut costs and figured the supplied wall wart with motor pod is accurate enough for their liking. they obviously tried to make the arm as well built, inexpensive, and geometrically sound as possible (with adjustability) but didn't account for the cartridge depths, how annoying people would find tying their own antiskate weight loops, or that the antiskate hanger is at the wrong place (which may just be one users experience btw). Sometimes you just can't iron out all the kinks cause you don't know what they are.

They experience a similar thing with the original Ragnarok. There was no remote and a few other quirks. Still an admirable product. The mk. 2 is just better and solves alot of the issues customers raised.

Not everything is a manufacturer trying to sock it to the little guy. Buyers are not obligated to buy this if they dont' like it.

That being said, the user review posted above does say that when it was finally done, that the results were excellent. That does count for a lot.

Linn was often criticized with doing this but sometimes the accusation that this is "customer beta testing" is just not right.

Designers cannot think of everything. They can try, but they hardly ever succeed. Products ultimately do have to hit market. The Sol took 6 years of development. They certainly didn't think "Ah, we'll just rush this baby out the door and we'll figure out what's wrong with it later". Certain things just don't register on the radar until after you've released it, and customers bring stuff up. The lack of P/S is assuredly a choice, not an oversight. They tried to cut costs and figured the supplied wall wart with motor pod is accurate enough for their liking. they obviously tried to make the arm as well built, inexpensive, and geometrically sound as possible (with adjustability) but didn't account for the cartridge depths, how annoying people would find tying their own antiskate weight loops, or that the antiskate hanger is at the wrong place (which may just be one users experience btw). Sometimes you just can't iron out all the kinks cause you don't know what they are.

They experience a similar thing with the original Ragnarok. There was no remote and a few other quirks. Still an admirable product. The mk. 2 is just better and solves alot of the issues customers raised.

Not everything is a manufacturer trying to sock it to the little guy. Buyers are not obligated to buy this if they dont' like it.

That being said, the user review posted above does say that when it was finally done, that the results were excellent. That does count for a lot.
Yeah, I get that & broadly agree with what you say. I think some things like headshell depth does seem problematic, power supply can be brought to market later so I don't see that as an issue. My view, whether right it wrong, is that an extra £50 on the list price may have given financial room to alleviate some of the short comings.

To be fair if Linn did a similar thing people would really, really pile on with the vitriol whereas the vitriol here has come to those who dared to make some observations on this product.

The end user will always come up with problems to a degree as they are coming at it from a different place.

I fail to see how the cartridge depth issue didn't crop up during testing? Especially as they seem fond of the 103 series.

The headshell thing seems bizarre considering one of the designers is a fan of the DL103 and this guy had to virtually bend the cartridge pins to get it to align, and even then he said it was still a bit too far forward.

I can only guess that they didn't run it with a 103. I know they ran decca and a few others. Is the 103 particularly long distance of stylus tip --> pins?

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom