advertisement

Schiit Sol Turntable

If you do not have the capability to set up a turntable you either pay someone with the skills to do so or stick to digital streaming.

Adjustability does not equate to 'badly made'.

My original Rega P3 had no adjustability for VTA and the sales patter at the time said that VTA was not important, now spacer shims are available for Rega arms.

Was the P3 'badly made' ?
If a product has so many variables as to be inconsistent then at the very least it is badly designed. What is the dealer support like for this product? Who exactly would be an expert on setting this up? The P3 works as it should, has good dealer support etc

A
If a product has so many variables as to be inconsistent then at the very least it is badly designed.

Nonsense.

All high end turntables have adjustments for stylus azimuth and VTA/SRA, so a more correct statement is that all turntables without these facilities are badly designed.

Do you think that on a fixed parameter turntable all cartridges will have perfect SRA and azimuth.

Do you call a car with a manual gearbox 'badly designed' because it could be automatic.

A

Nonsense.

All high end turntables have adjustments for stylus azimuth and VTA/SRA, so a more correct statement is that all turntables without these facilities are badly designed.

Do you think that on a fixed parameter turntable all cartridges will have perfect SRA and azimuth.

Do you call a car with a manual gearbox 'badly designed' because it could be automatic.
Rega P3 is not a high end TT. Rega sell cartridges that work with their TTs, a system approach. They also have a dealer network to support their products.

Your car analogy makes no sense. whatsoever. A kit car could be very badly designed & made, that would be a better parallel.

Your post makes no sense.

Rather than badly made it is well made for the niche market it is quite clearly designed for.

I expect it to do very well with buyers who enjoy tweaking and playing around with the various adjustments.

Anyone buying this expecting plug and play is going to have ‘badly bought’.

A kit car could be very badly designed & made, that would be a better parallel.

You keep using the terms 'badly designed and made' yet I suspect you have never seen the product in the flesh let alone used it.

I suggest your use of the English language is a bigger failure.

You keep using the terms 'badly designed and made' yet I suspect you have never seen the product in the flesh let alone used it.

I suggest your use of the English language is a bigger failure.
That has little to do with my use of English language. Have you seen the product in the flesh? Have you used it? If not you are no more qualified than I to comment.

A

Nonsense.

Azimuth and VTA in most cases depends on tonearm, not turntable.

I watched the turntable set-up video, were my eyes deceiving me in thinking the platter was wobbling up and down when spinning?

That has little to do with my use of English language. Have you seen the product in the flesh? Have you used it? If not you are no more qualified than I to comment.

Yes but I am not the one who is rubbishing a product which I have never seen, especially when your sole reason for doing so is that 'it has too many adjustments available'.

Perhaps advance the debate by telling us why you think a unipivot tonearm is inferior to a gimbal based arm, because the added friction and noise of the additional 2/3 bearings of the latter is not important in your opinion.

Or why you think a standard 9" tonearm is a better design choice than the supplied 12" tonearm even though this provides less tracking error.

The basic, if it's not manufactured by Rega,Linn or SME it cannot be any good, would give more insight into your thought process than simply saying,
'it looks badly designed and built'.

Yes but I am not the one who is rubbishing a product which I have never seen, especially when your sole reason for doing so is that 'it has too many adjustments available'.

Perhaps advance the debate by telling us why you think a unipivot tonearm is inferior to a gimbal based arm, because the added friction and noise of the additional 2/3 bearings of the latter is not important in your opinion.

Or why you think a standard 9" tonearm is a better design choice than the supplied 12" tonearm even though this provides less tracking error.

The basic, if it's not manufactured by Rega,Linn or SME it cannot be any good, would give more insight into your thought process than simply saying,
'it looks badly designed and built'.
So it is wrong to rubbish a product you have not actually used? It just doesn't appeal to me & I am perfectly entitled to air that view. At the same time I cannot understand whether you have listened to it yourself? If not then you are defending a product without any evidence.

I have no view on the subject of arms etc. I do prefer products from tried & trusted brands with a dealer network, fail to see what is wrong with that?

If you are happy to buy a product with lots of design variables, little or no dealer support etc then that is fine. Personally I would prefer it if they had developed it a higher price with more controls over how it is assembled to aid consistency of performance.

Why comment at all though on a product in which you have no interest.

Worse, why make illogical, unfounded comments with no reasoning behind them, and then get prissy when people point this out?

I would prefer it if they had developed it a higher price with more controls over how it is assembled to aid consistency of performance.

Because that's a different f'ing turntable for a different type of customer with different needs.

You're not actually rubbishing the turntable tbf, you're just rubbishing yourself!

Worse, why make illogical, unfounded comments with no reasoning behind them, and then get prissy when people point this out?

Because that's a different f'ing turntable for a different type of customer with different needs.

You're not actually rubbishing the turntable tbf, you're just rubbishing yourself!
Really? Why get so aggressive? Prissy? Do you even know what means?

Your comments make no sense whatsoever.

You don't know me, how can you tell I am 'rubbishing myself'. I am perfectly entitled to express an opinion, this is what this forum is for. I tend not to make personal & insulting comments as I am adult, why not try to behave like one yourself?

Love the overreaction, why don't you go and have a good cry, you'll feel better for it :rolleyes:

You're entitled to an opinion. Others are entitled to pull it apart if it's ill thought out and senseless, like yours.

It does look like it could be modded to a very high performing table for very little outlay. When they change the company name to something less sophomoric I'll buy it.

I am perfectly entitled to express an opinion,

Just save them for products in which you either have an interest or some knowledge ;)

At the same time I cannot understand whether you have listened to it yourself? If not then you are defending a product without any evidence.

I have not 'defended' the product, as like many others I have not heard or even seen it.

More importantly I have not denounced it as some inferior, badly designed product as if I am some kind of expert.

I have though just swapped the 10" gimbal arm on my TT for a 12" unipivot so I have at least some knowledge as to the pros and cons of both.

My new arm has been fitted to my Pro-ject TT , a brand, of which I'm sure you also have an opinion.

I'll post a photo of it so you can tell me if it looks badly designed and built 'in your opinion'.

misterdog, crimsondonkey, woodface, me for writing this.

Who has the greatest tendency to hide under bridges and jump out at people? Or protect witches? Who has Scandinavian descent of a kind?

Spare a thought for poor old Tony L who has to make these sort of judgements and must be royally sick to the back teeth of it.

The Schiit Sol looks like remarkable value for money to me, especially as they'll be made in the USA, not China / Peru / Vietnam or wherever. But the proof will be in the listening, as ever.

advertisement

Back