advertisement

Satisfaction begins with the right speakers

I often wonder why none of you guys simply stress the importance of the best possible 'chain' of all components: Ivor the great said in 1973 priority is just the translation of the main signal, others believe it must be the amplifier most still believe it's the speakers, there is no end to these debates, as anyone is right to a certain degree. I'm convinced that even if you've got every part of your gear perfectly lined up it's all gone as long as you've picked a bad recording. So it could indeed happen on the opposite side, that you missed the sweetest point in your VTA set up, run a worn needle in your MC System, didn't check the corroded Silver chord lately or else but then someone placed his ECM recording of the Keith Jarrett Trio on your LP12 and after the first two notes you simply believe you're still in Heaven!?

I often wonder why none of you guys simply stress the importance of the best possible 'chain' of all components:
I do. The room is part of that chain and arguably the hardest to change. Hence the fixation on getting the room/loudspeaker interface right is justified, IMO.

James

Manufacturers recommend a cable that suits their amps. Their advice is usually worth following but if you want to experiment then that is down to you.

Personally I would stick with the manufacturers recommendation because they have done the experimenting.

Regards

Mick

I partially agree .... however, new products are continuously developed ... there may always be much better for the same price ....

one such example is the new Silver High Breed Quintessence interconnect .... absolutely brilliant on my system

I started my hi fi journey with Tannoy Lancasters (12 inch) and then Yamaha NS1000Ms ... I built my systems round them and was very happy. I then fell for the source-first approach and went through numerous smaller/cheaper speakers and was never happy. I then decided to go back to speaker first and bought Wilson Benesch Arcs and built the system round them, and I then inherited a pair of Tannoy Kensingtons and rebuilt the system around them ... and have been happy during this period. For me, speaker first is the way to go.

Nic P

I'm convinced that even if you've got every part of your gear perfectly lined up it's all gone as long as you've picked a bad recording.
There are VERY few recordings that are bad IMHO.
The better system you have the less important is “record quality” as you simply realize that the records were just fine! Happened SO many times during the years. Records you can’t play as they are “bad recordings” suddenly transforms into fantastic recordings after the upgrade. Both in sound and interpretation. Go figure…

When you take the room out of the equation you need some kwality gear to get your point across.

This made the bestest donkey bass ever. A good whallop to the internal organs and if you played a slow downward glissando/portamento through it you could make people in the audience feel quite queasy.

Bass tube
by Tanais Fox, on Flickr

Dear fox,

it is so unlike you to get the angle from which to photograph an erection wrong. There are two vaguely spheric objects at suitable locations for making your point rather more forcefully ...

yes, speaker first for sound shaping (room dependency)
But source first for music quality.

At last someone says it. Emphasis on speakers is a telltale sign of those who listen to sounds rather than music. Yawn. Spend 5% of your budget on speakers.

Marcus, you have a filthy one-track mind.

And look where he's from.

map-europe-accordi_1720161c.jpg

£50 is stretching it a bit too far. £100 per component is just about right. :)

Pioneer A400 amp .... approx £120
Mission 751 freedom speakers ... approx £80
Rotel RCD-965BX limited edition CDP... approx £70
Van Den Hul studio blue speaker cable ... approx £25 (new)
Silver High Breed Quintessence interconnect ... approx £60
speaker stands (used) .... approx £60

job done .... set up the speakers correctly and you have a relatively decent system for cheap (approx £400 which includes speaker stands, interconnect and speaker cable) ....

-----------------------
or:

Pioneer A400 amp ... approx £120
Mission 751 freedom speakers .... Approx £80
Musical Fidelity V-dac ... approx £150 (new)
total cost: ... approx £350

add some used speaker cable for a few pounds, and connect to spotify premium for a tenner month .... job done for cheap

I recently aquired a pir of JPW AP-2's(I think as I am not certain). I am very impressed with these speakers, especially the midrange, which seems to exibit a almost Spendor type quality. I would like to replace the old caps with the better filter type that was mentioned here and was wondering exactly which cap to purchase and where available. I am in the United States and would appreciate any help. These speakers sound marvelous as I can only fault them in their upper treble.

This struck a chord with me.
As an ex-Obelisk owner who went looking for more resolution, detail, dynamics etc etc, I really miss them. They really were the defining factor in listenability for me. They missed so much, but presented what they could in such a musical way and with great panache.

If I had not moved to lower power valves and spent all my money on my current system, I would be sorely tempted by Obelisk 2.

So, for me, the speaker, especially one as special as the Shahinian, is the defining factor in system sound. Even MP3s were bearable, if not good.

advertisement

Back