advertisement

Satisfaction begins with the right speakers

obviously, a well produced cd/album makes all the difference .... not sure what type of music you enjoy, but here is a varied list that is regarded as well produced/recorded by many in the industry....

most of these are on spotify aswell ... I have this list (plus a few more on word, so it's a cut and paste) ....enjoy!

Wow! that's a big list.

I will try those in Spotify. Cheers :)

Was just about to ask,"Has anyone got a comprehensive list of well produced records"?.....I like Yo La Tengo too-been trying to find the soundtrack to Oldjoy that they worked on (and Will Oldham acted in).Really open songs.

Si

Listened to The Nightfly every night this week-super slick. Don't know what to put on after that as its so well produced...suppose its time to be let down by some Radiohead.

Si

What a superb record, do you have Morphe the Cat? I have it on a pile waiting to be picked up, super slick slicksvill!!!

On my list to buy it-good to have a recomendation for it-can't get slicker than Nightfly surely-it must be like Fonzy's hair if it is. I take it back about Radiohead, just put on Reckoner at a decent vol. its amazing!

Si

This has been my philosophy for the past 15 years or so. Within a fairly modest system I find TT's, CD players & amps all offer good quality sound. The weakness is nearly always the speakers. Spend the weight of the cash on those & you will have a lot more enjoyment.

Agree !

The Obelisks are a remarkable LS. I just pull em out about 3' into the room. You can toe in if yer likes but at the end of the day the sound is always good and lifelike just different perspective.

I drive em with 1500wpc...............

Cheers,

DV

PS I would have the Diaps but SWMBO says they are too big for the room. Unfortunately she is correct.........boo hoo. The Hawks aren't the same at all as they don't have the super-tweeters that gives that open airiness.

All this may just be an artifact of the way I personally listen, but that's my experience. Not sure what this does to the old "source first" maxim, but for me, if the speakers are right, the music is right.
Totally agree.

I had the pleasure of meeting Laurie Saunders yesterday (hope he doesn't mind me saying) who used to post quite a lot on the Naim forum and still does on Pink Fish.

Having not seen him for 2 years or so, I had the opportunity to listen to his fully loaded Naim DAC and Michell Orbe using the Naim Superline phonostage, 552, 500 just yesterday, with each piece of equipment sitting on their own dedicated spur, all played through his trusted ProAc 3.5’s, which Laurie has been using for the last 10 years or so.

I heard Laurie's system for the first time about 7 years ago then using the trusted Meridian 200/203, Michell Orbe, 52, 135's, and I still remember being very impressed. Indeed, it didn’t sound very Naim like, and totally hammered Active SBL’s and Linn Isobaric systems I had heard at that time. This system was seriously bad news for any Naim owners claiming they had reached sonic nirvana! Funny, I used to tell people on the Naim forum and local meet-up groups that they should hear his system or for ever keep their peace. Laurie’s system use to deliver bread like Jesus, and leave the very few courageous Naim owners confused with frustration if ever they dared to visit.

Most didn’t visit by the way.

Anyway, regardless of the system moving forward given the pretty extravagant upgrades, there is no escaping the fact that the reason I have always enjoyed this system is due to the ProAc 3.5’s. Sure, refinement, bass control and all things HiFi have improved to rave review levels, but for me the key enjoyment comes from the speakers and in the way they communicate music. Especially with vinyl! It’s hard to beat the 3.5’s for their speed and visceral attack, whilst sounding mellow in equal measure.

Certainly very different from my ATC based system, but equally rewarding in stature, enjoyment and just plain old solid impact of a near live event as HiFi was intended.

Peter

What a superb record, do you have Morphe the Cat? I have it on a pile waiting to be picked up, super slick slicksvill!!!

I've got ...'Pagoda Of Funn' on as we speak.....What a great track.

'On The Dunes' ("Kamakiriad") is going on next, another favourite :cool:

This has been my philosophy for the past 15 years or so. Within a fairly modest system I find TT's, CD players & amps all offer good quality sound. The weakness is nearly always the speakers. Spend the weight of the cash on those & you will have a lot more enjoyment.

I know this flys in the face of a lot of people here but then I can't easily remember the last time I spent money on an upgrade (other than the speakers).

that was pretty much my thoughts until I changed my deck. The first thing that I noticed was how much better the Denon cart was able to perform when strapped to a better arm, and the speakers where showing themselves to be more than capapble of showing the results, a couple of days later I changed cartridge, and the improvements where there again. Would better speakers have shown more, probably, but the cost of them could well have precluded the improvement at the front end.

I'm starting to think that providing you avaoid either a poor component, or at least a poorly matched one, anywhere in the chain, then it does not really matter if you start at either end or in the middle.

Total agree, speakers make a significant impact on the sound of any system. I recently up-graded my humble JPW P1's with replacement drivers and, at Guy Seargeant's suggestion, replaced the electrolytic caps in the x-over with film caps, the improvement was huge and far larger than I would have thought possible.

obviously, a well produced cd/album makes all the difference .... not sure what type of music you enjoy, but here is a varied list that is regarded as well produced/recorded by many in the industry....

most of these are on spotify aswell ... I have this list (plus a few more on word, so it's a cut and paste) ....enjoy!

A good mixed list of artists worth looking up thanks. Most of those guys mentioned always produce good recordings.

Not on topic but ......

I only have 5 from that list (3 on both CD & Vinyl)

I know I couldn't write down from memory all the CD's & Lp's I have but a lot of them are worthy of including -

Meeting by the River - Ry Cooder

satisfaction can, if the right spkrs are found (after years of faffing and swapping) for £70 like my epos es12's which do almost all the things the others did for alot less dosh! but, I'd still adhere to my most significant component satisfaction (with any spkr Ive had): my humble old lp12.

Im interested in the shaninian things tho after yr praises (& their being lauded on here so often). never heard any (nor very likely to by all accounts/ or could afford any!) but sure would like to now.

Not sure what this does to the old "source first" maxim, but for me, if the speakers are right, the music is right.

Sorry, I know I'm coming into thisthred a bit late.

Interesting point.

For ages I was using a pair of ruark scepters, notoo bad stan mounters.

I was then given apir of castle harlechs. A bit bigger but did twice as much.

like your taste dim_span. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I have copied your list so I can listen to what's on it that I haven't got.

Kasper,

The loudspeaker/room interface is vitally important. No amount of source first quality will fix a bad combination. To think otherwise is pure delusion. Your finding is the primary reason why I enjoy designing and building my own loudspeakers to suit my ears.

James

I'm new to the black art that is getting a sound that really pleases you but I can see the logic in saying that the speakers have the major influence, possibly followed by the speaker cable and interconnects. My problem is: - how do I know what will sound right in my room without hearing them in that situation. I can see my local dealers giving me short thrift with me continually asking to home audition their entire stocks (within my budget) until I find something I like.
It would seem to me to be a matter of serendipity (sp?) almost that you hear some speakers somewhere that you like in a similar situation to your own setting that you can then locate and audition at home and get the same excitement from hearing.
How do others (you) tackle this? I am trying to avoid wasting a lot of time and money continually rolling speakers until I hear something that I can live with long time.
Cheers,
Dave.

I'm new to the black art that is getting a sound that really pleases you but I can see the logic in saying that the speakers have the major influence, possibly followed by the speaker cable and interconnects. My problem is: - how do I know what will sound right in my room without hearing them in that situation.

Buy secondhand and move them on if you don't like them. Especially appropriate for electronics! The problem with speakers is that some parts can literally wear out - especially, surrounds stiffen or disintegrate of 15+ years. However you can usually guess whether you'll like a current-production speaker based what an older model sounds like.

When it comes to cables, follow the recommendations of the amp manufacturer & you can't really go wrong (& factor the recommended cables into the true "cost" of the amp(s)).

advertisement

Back