advertisement

sad day for coatbridge tannoy factory

Any updates on where these Tannoy speakers are being made now. Music Tribe are not answering questions on this subject as far as I can see.

They are still advertising that they are made in Scotland on their website.

As the website is based in Manila, Philippines, there is nothing our ASA can do about it.

Any updates on where these Tannoy speakers are being made now. Music Tribe are not answering questions on this subject as far as I can see.

They are still advertising that they are made in Scotland on their website.

As the website is based in Manila, Philippines, there is nothing our ASA can do about it.

I checked a few ads before raising this very question not long after the Coatbridge closure and had hoped we’d have an answer by now. Done a search via Google pics today and it appears the “Designed and manufactured in the UK” has now been removed from the gold adjustment panel mounted on the front baffle of the Legacy series.

It would be interesting to hear from any fishes who’ve bought a Legacy product since the move if there is a “Made in...” badge on them anymore. Not sure how much it would harm their eastern customers now it no longer has a British badge though, of course they may be even popular if they price has dropped due to the lower distance they have to be shipped!

I checked a few ads before raising this very question not long after the Coatbridge closure and had hoped we’d have an answer by now. Done a search via Google pics today and it appears the “Designed and manufactured in the UK” has now been removed from the gold adjustment panel mounted on the front baffle of the Legacy series.

It would be interesting to hear from any fishes who’ve bought a Legacy product since the move if there is a “Made in...” badge on them anymore. Not sure how much it would harm their eastern customers now it no longer has a British badge though, of course they may be even popular if they price has dropped due to the lower distance they have to be shipped!

Interesting that the "Made in..." badge has gone. There are people in the US, one is a main dealer, who are convinced these are still being made in Scotland, despite that people are telling them the factory closed down last year.
This is what is on the website "In keeping with the TANNOY mode of excellence, each CHEVIOT loudspeaker cabinet is completely handcrafted by our highly skilled team at our Coatbridge, Scotland workshop."

Contacting Music Tribe is very difficult now, I tried emailing them but just got an automated email directing me to their website.

I suspect the answer you get will be subject to their own agendas. UK dealer will be very much “it’s still very much the original UK design and spec but just happens to be built and assembled elsewhere”.

Other markets may get “classic British design using the latest production techniques elsewhere”.:D

Last edited:
Such a shame that tannoy are no more, my first foray into hifi was a pair of tannoy 605’s paired with technics suvx 600 amp and technics slpg 400 CD player back in the early 90’s, sounded great to my ears.

This is unbelievable!

The if you drive out of Coatbridge up to the Shawhead flyover and turn right you will find the Tannoy factory, just to the left of McKinnan Mills retail outlet. If you turn left at the lights and drive about one hundred yards you'll find the Fyne Audio factory where all the key people from Tannoy Coatbridge now work!

The old Tannoy factory is #@&£?!; Shut!!! I am sitting next to a guy who used to work in Tannoy and drives past it every day! His sister used to work for Tannoy too and now works for Fyne. I know other people who work for Fyne.

There is no speculation, there is no wondering. The factory is closed, has been for ages and will be demolished soon to make way for houses. Tannoy UK is finished.

Also, one of our pfm members bid and won an item at the administrators auction! Pretty good proof they are no longer in Coatbridge!

The factories that made your socks and underwear were closed decades ago. That's why you can afford other products.

This is unbelievable!

The if you drive out of Coatbridge up to the Shawhead flyover and turn right you will find the Tannoy factory, just to the left of McKinnan Mills retail outlet. If you turn left at the lights and drive about one hundred yards you'll find the Fyne Audio factory where all the key people from Tannoy Coatbridge now work!

The old Tannoy factory is #@&£?!; Shut!!! I am sitting next to a guy who used to work in Tannoy and drives past it every day! His sister used to work for Tannoy too and now works for Fyne. I know other people who work for Fyne.

There is no speculation, there is no wondering. The factory is closed, has been for ages and will be demolished soon to make way for houses. Tannoy UK is finished.

"heres another fyne mess you have gotten us into "

This is unbelievable!

Thanks for confirming this, always good to hear from people who worked there and are still in the area. Yes crazy some people won't believe the facts. I feel sorry for the ones who thought they were getting a British product and probably ended up with something else.

advertisement

Back