Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

sad day for coatbridge tannoy factory

Discussion in 'audio' started by hifinutt, Dec 4, 2020.

1. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

2. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

3. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes , some nice lockwood

4. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

here is some of the stuff in use

effinity likes this.
  5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Heartbreaking stuff, Tannoy are now basically just a brandname on Chinese-made Behringer junk.

PS #154 is interesting, I suspect that’s a device for refreshing tired alnico magnets.

Mole Man and Robert M like this.
  6. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

7. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

Looks like anything for current Tannoy production gas gone which is no surprise really. Do we know where Prestige and Legacy model production will move to ?

8. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

sad to see yet another Scottish site disappear Rolls-Royce also will vanish from Scotland by July 2021

Mole Man likes this.
  9. StephenB

StephenB Pointy birds...........

just spotted a magnetiser staion I helped build over 35 years ago :)

they managed to send a ferrite ring through the roof of the building with a similar one due to putting it in the machine upside down apparently !!!

Weekender, russel, hifinutt and 6 others like this.
  10. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

Being an auction there will be no warranty with any of the items advertised. I guess if cheap enough some of the items are worth a bid but I can’t help but wonder why they’ve been left behind. The cabinets of course are a different matter.

11. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

Maybe five years ago a dealer on Gumtree was advertising a Perspex exhibition loudspeaker. He wanted fairly strong money but was unable to identify it. I recognised it as a Tannoy DC3000 cabinet and drivers which although not much use on its own would have provided some spares for the DC2000 I picked up a year or so later!

12. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

According to their website, all the 'high end' speakers are still described as UK made. Is this for existing stock?

13. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

Some nice items there for a lucky fella or gal.

14. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

It's just a building , Looks like mostly all the good gear has gone

15. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

But the German and US sites are growing (or were prior to covid). This is not jobs fleeing to lower cost countries but jobs fleeing to countries that are better able to handle high tech engineering. Falling education, falling infrastructure and now red tape, delays, taxes, warehousing, etc... from brexit makes the UK an unattractive and difficult place for the high tech engineering industry.

16. say it as it is

Nah they offloaded work all over the world and a lot to save labour costs despite being the most efficient and highest standard site in the world

17. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

Any industry looking to export, or which imports it’s inputs, is in for a exciting few years post-Brexit.

18. say it as it is

I was one of the 700 kicked out this year from RR Inchinnan, they made no secret of the fact they were sending work abroad and to to Derby it was a strategic decision to strip out Scotland's proud engineering base. Sadly this is not the first or last time this will happen

JimmyB, Mole Man and Mr Pig like this.
  19. Nero

Nero Wiped Clean

Quite tempted by that. My watch used to lose about 20 minutes a day when I had to magnetise motor units for R&D

20. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

I was an apprentice and an engineer at Royce's for part of the 70s and 80s. Old enough to have seen what it used to be post-war and to have watched it fade into what it has become at least from an engineer's perspective. I have also worked in Germany and certainly didn't return to the UK for work reasons! We had the option back in the 80s to maintain an infrastructure that would be required by high/medium tech industries of the future but opted not to do so. Not a lot we can do about it now.

Perversely, I suspect the low tech, low wage manufacture of luxury goods represented by something like Tannoy speakers is something that might start returning in a few years time. It will depend of course on whether we continue to be viewed by the rest of the world as a joke or manage to retain some kudos, our trading relationships with richer countries, how deep the growing crash turns out to be, etc... Despite the large number of negative changes that are happening there are likely to be a few positive ones. Not many but some (from the perspective of the 99% not the 1% of course).