advertisement

RTA Procedure?

I don't want to be morbid, but maybe it would be a good idea to have a magnetic resonance scan of your back done, just to make sure nothing has moved or twisted around. I was hit in the back of my motorbike when I was about 30, didn't even fall off, but felt a kind of slightly painful "jerk" in my lower back there and then. Didn't give it a thought at the time. About 10 years later it started giving me trouble. Hard to say if there was any cause-effect, but......

Glad you survived Tony, sounds like you were very lucky it wasn't much worse. Hope you recover from your injuries very soon and get appropriate compensation.

I'm very sorry to hear about this Tony as a keen cyclist myself. I hope you have a speedy recovery to full health (harder as we get older) and fully financially compensated for bike, clothing etc etc.

I doubt it was a cause in this case (being on a roundabout) but I find many modern cars (inc. my Zafira) with the highly raked windscreen and very thick A pillars have a huge blindspot exactly where slower moving road users will be when I make a right hand turn at a T-junction.

I try to be in the habit of counting to 5 when I get to T-junctions even if the roads look absolutely clear because several months ago I had a very scary moment when a cyclist popped out from behind the A pillar at 6.30am on a Saturday morning.

I also try not to be too judgemental about drivers who occasionally pull out because IMO this a a fundamental safety flaw in the design of these cars.

I haven't ridden a cycle for 35 years since a school run parent overtook me, braked hard and the passenger door opened while still moving and far from the kerb. I smacked into the door and wrecked my knee cartilage

Couple of quick shots of the bike:

28587426922_8e280b8787_b.jpg

Not a great pic, it makes the damage look less somehow, but the fork, bar and frame (chainstay) damage is all easily visible.

28693146355_4a1c685684_b.jpg

Closeup of the Shimano Ultegra chainset, I suspect it takes a fair bit of force to bend one of those and sheer the steel pedal spindle (decent Shimano SPD clips, can't remember the model). More frame damage visible there too.

I've phoned the lawyers and will be getting a call back later from the appropriate member of the team.

PS Claire, sorry to hear of your incident. BMWs appear dangerous even when not driven by their owners!

I know pretty much nowt about modern bikes, but that chain set is a thing of beauty, as is the rest of the (now deceased) bike.

Crikey Claire, that's some misfortune, hope you recover fully and very soon.

Sorry to hear of this incident Tony. Hope you are feeling a touch better today mate.

I hope you a are letting a true old school solicitors practice deal with this rather than an injury lawyer 4U type law factory who'll settle the claim ASAP with little thought given to victim and any lasting effects.

You are welcome to get in touch with me and speak to the Mrs. who would brief you on how she'd expect it to pan out if it were her case.

All the best
Kenny

Jeezus!

You are one lucky guy if you are just bruised Tony!

As has been said, an MRI might well be worthwhile - the lower back in particular. Acute aches can become chronic pains IME.

Tony

Hope you are feeling better today.

Have any of the medical bods talked about physiotherapy?
imsmc for soft tissue injury asap treatment is important.
Normally your solicitor would arrange this, as the bill goes to the insurer.

Cheers - John

Just seen this thread - Tony: best wishes for a full recovery and (hopefully) speedy resolution of this case such that you are adequately compensated and that the van driver is properly brought to book.

^^^ likewise. Judging by the state of the bike, that was some impact. Look after yourself and follow all of the advice on here. I'm surprised no-one has advocated making a large hole in that Islay stash! I would be...

It looks like you had a very lucky escape Tony. However as others have said there may be some hidden damage so keep an eye out for anything that may appear and get it checked out asap.

When I was a school teacher I slipped on a muddy pavement and landed badly on my back. Almost 40 years later it came back to haunt me! OK thats a long time but what if I had to suffer sooner say after 4 months? My life would certainly have taken a different course than it did.

Cheers,

DV

When I was a school teacher I slipped on a muddy pavement and landed badly on my back. Almost 40 years later it came back to haunt me!

When I was baby I got a spec of dirt in my eye. Nearly 58 years later it has come back to haunt me big time, and I find I now need glasses to read anything close-up

;-)

Glad you're OK Tony, the bike is certainly a gonner!

On the bright side, it looks like the big chainring was about due for retirement, so that alone could save you about £25, assuming you get an "as new" replacement :)

Sorry to hear of your accident Tony, and very glad you are still in one piece. Hope you feel better soon. Spend some of your recuperation time deciding what bike you'll buy with the insurance money, might take your mind off things a bit.

Recover well Tony, sounds like you have it covered with all the good advice on here. From the state of the bike, you were very lucky to get away relatively unscathed. At least the Brooks looks in OK shape...!
As written above, maybe spend a little time thinking what it will get put on next.

I would hope that if it was a big corporate name on the side of the van then you shouldn't get too much grief on the legals side... The driver is probably pretty upset too.

advertisement

Back