advertisement

RSD 2024

It can be like that, I’ve seen huge queues outside Piccadilly in Manchester. Long enough that I’ve never done it. That said I can’t think of anything I’ve really wanted that I haven’t found later online. Obviously I end up paying shipping, but I prefer that to the queueing and claustrophobia of a rammed store. As mentioned above I’ve found some stuff afterwards that I thought would be long gone, e.g. the signed Ron Carter, a Mugstar album limited to 500 etc.

I stand by what I said upthread that in most cases RSD stuff isn’t limited in any meaningful way, they press whatever they think they can sell into the shops. I certainly don’t view RSD as a good event for speculation, the popular stuff is always a very large pressing number. As an example I bet you could still find a sealed copy of Bowie’s Welcome To The Blackout 3xLP from six years ago for not that much more than the expensive price on the day (it was £45 or £49 IIRC), and that is one of the better RSD titles ever IMHO. They pressed shed-loads of it; Piccadilly had it in stock for months!

I went to Piccadilly once for RSD morning, perhaps 7 years ago. Got there at something like 6am from memory and the queue was already round the other side of the block by then. Tbh I enjoyed it as a one-off, got chatting to a couple of people in the queue, and had the pleasure of going for a coffee afterwards and flicking through the covers of the half dozen records I'd bought (any other time it would be one record at a time). Not been since as there's been very little of interest to me. Piccadilly gets a good stock in but they do tend to a few quid more than some other shops. There are two I'd like this year but whether worth the queues...

Edit: good to see people getting ready early: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27639921...pid=5338728743&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Does anyone have any idea what the queue might be like at Rough Trade in Nottingham? I need to acquire Ian Hunter - Defiance Part 2, so what time may be best to get there? I don't mind 2 or 3 hours if necessary.

Rough Trade opening their largest UK store in Liverpool tomorrow, just in time for RSD. Nothing on the list I really want, but might see if I can pop down late Saturday afternoon to have a mooch around.

Does anyone have any idea what the queue might be like at Rough Trade in Nottingham? I need to acquire Ian Hunter - Defiance Part 2, so what time may be best to get there? I don't mind 2 or 3 hours if necessary.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If you’re making 2500 of something it seems it’s worth forking out to get them individually numbered.

Pretty sure none of the most valuable records in my collection are numbered, though.

FWIW, and I know it’s not really in the spirit of things, but I’ve never had a problem finding the odd RSD release I’ve wanted a few weeks later on discogs for less than the RSD price.

Nothing too pressing from the list, though wouldn't mind the Snarky Puppy at Band on the Wall, Manchester. Not the whole (great) gig, but as I was there, a nice souvenir.

There's one release I want but with it being on a major label not an RSD exclusive I very much expect abut 15 minutes after the day ends it'll be on sale for less and I won't have had to get up at stupid o' clock to wait in line with a bunch of hipsters talking about their new vinyls.

If it does turn out to fly off the shelves and never come back I'll have to pay a flipper I suppose, but after having made the effort in the past to get something I thought was in very limited supply only for it to be everywhere the next day I somehow doubt it. Which just kicks the arse out of RSD for me.

Pretty sure none of the most valuable records in my collection are numbered, though.
There is that.

Though when I checked I was reminded that my brown vinyl Aphex Twin – Selected Ambient Works Volume II is from a numbered and 'limited' edition of, er, 10,000 copies. Those were the days eh!

Just joined the queue at Rough Trade in Nottingham... it's round the block already....

53665865258_e600a734a5_b.jpg

It's pretty organised, they are handing out lists in the queue and giving you a ticket number (I'm 184), then you tick your wants, and they should be ready when you get in. Fingers crossed....

I have four or so items I am after but will go down the online route on Monday evening. My very local shop closed which was a shame as they opened earlier than many and queue was always short.

For those interested.

David Bowie Waiting in the Sky (Before the Starman came to earth)

Goat Gallows Pole Org Music

Harmonia Musik van Harmonia

Soft Cell Non Stop Extended Cabaret

The pricing is insane, e.g. why is the Talking Heads double live album £44? It isn’t even a gatefold sleeve, and I bet they’ve pressed thousands of it. So much of this stuff is just overpriced, it isn’t limited in any real sense. FWIW I’d have happily given £20 for it. The only other thing that caught my eye is what looks like a very nice audiophile cut of Everybody Digs Bill Evans, but if I want that I’ll wait for the now inevitable release of the stereo version.

I feel like I'm turning into Grampa Simpson... "In my day you could buy three new fangled jazz records for two and six and still have change for the bus home..."

But why is a Sun Ra 2xLP £70?!

Cover.jpg

The pricing is insane, e.g. why is the Talking Heads double live album £44? It isn’t even a gatefold sleeve, and I bet they’ve pressed thousands of it. So much of this stuff is just overpriced, it isn’t limited in any real sense. FWIW I’d have happily given £20 for it. The only other thing that caught my eye is what looks like a very nice audiophile cut of Everybody Digs Bill Evans, but if I want that I’ll wait for the now inevitable release of the stereo version.
Zev Feldman normally has some interesting titles and this time he's got 10! I've found they often come out on CD a little after RSD in a much more affordable package. Bill Evans at Ronnie Scott's from 2020 on Resonance Records is a good one...

Here’s a list with limit numbers for most titles: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

From a personal perspective I only view 500 or less as limited in any real sense. The Talking heads I mention above is 8k, I bet the Bowie is far more. They’ll be around for months if you want them. These are not rare records. I’m all for supporting record shops, but there are far better deals than this around all the time. As an example I’m hoping the postman will bring me the Assai numbered & signed coloured vinyl edition of the Orbital 1st album later today, only 100 copies of this one. Rough Trade, Assai, Norman etc always have loads of interesting stuff coming in and I’d recommend signing up to their new releases emails. That, and followng bands and labels on Bandcamp, is how I elbow my way to the front of the virtual queue.

I wonder if this extreme pricing is some attempt to discourage flippers? There’s hardly anything in that list I’d pay retail for thinking it would be a long-term investment. I obviously buy and sell a lot of vinyl, though I’ve never done the RSD eBay flipping thing at all. Too high a buy price, not enough mark-up for me. Any RSD stuff in the pfm shop, and there is usually a good chunk, has come in with larger collections. The few titles I’ve actually bought myself are all still in my own collection. I think I’ve only got six or seven in total. I’ve never queued.

PS The ones that stand out are the two signed Ron Carter albums, various Bowie live albums, a clear vinyl GoGo Penguin album, a Mugstar album, and the early demos of Marianne Faithful’s Broken English. All landed either from Piccadilly later in the week, or online immediately afterwards. IIRC it wasn’t until the following Saturday I grabbed a copy of Bowie’s Welcome To The Blackout, which is actually one of the best RSD titles to my mind. Not limited in any sense at all, there were still copies around at least months later. No mention of an edition number on Discogs. I bet there are 20k of them at least!

advertisement

Back