advertisement

RSD 2024

Not sure about that one - "Sun Ra and his Arkestra put their own unique twist on both well-known and overlooked Disney songs". It's being brought in by Proper so there should be UK availability
I noticed they've now added the venues to the listing (or perhaps I just missed it earlier). Here's a review of the 9:30 Club gig from 1989. It's later period Ra so, for me, less essential.

I used to live about a ten minute walk from the address they give on their website. I once asked if I could collect in person and they said it wasn't possible - I'd have to pay the £3.50 or whatever to ship it half a mile. I'm pretty sure there's no bricks and mortar shop. I hadn't really thought about whether online retailers can participate in RSD. Lots of shops offer the titles online so I'm not sure what the form is really.
I’ve been there. It’s a first floor walk-up shop full of their DJ kit: TTs headphones mixers etc. No vinyl on site. I went to collect a Nagaoka stylus that they stock. I suspect the vinyl is done via a warehouse but their physical DJ stuff is held on site.

I have a feeling ‘Everyone Digs’ is one of those albums you are far better spending a third as much on a bog-standard early-80s OJC reissue as they were done really well and the master tape was 40 years younger. A lot of jazz falls into that category IMHO.

PS FWIW I’ve only got the early-80s Japanese VDJ CD. It’s fine!
I tend to agree, a fair few of the 80s & 90s vinyl re-issues were quite poorly pressed. There’s so much space around Bill Evans playing that surface noise can be very distracting.

I'll be queuing for the "Man with the Golden Gun" soundtrack. Emma Bunton & Steps too! they're really spoiling us.

Grrr

They file The Fall under "Fall, The", but The Faces are under "Faces".

Emma Bunton under E, not filed as "Bunton, Emma", with Ian Hunter under I, and Jane Weaver under J ...

Is there a list with pressing numbers on so you can see what you can likely leave until after the scrum and pick up online?

Not sure about that one - "Sun Ra and his Arkestra put their own unique twist on both well-known and overlooked Disney songs". It's being brought in by Proper so there should be UK availability
I don’t just want that, I need it. What could be better than waking up every single morning to the sound of Sun Ra and his Arkestra playing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah? My oh my, what a wonderful day…

Most of the jazz releases seem to be 1500 copies. The Sonny Rollins set is 2500 and the Bill Evans on Craft 4500.

1500-2500 is rather a lot of records IMO, especially for jazz. I’ve never had much issue getting RSD issues I’ve wanted, e.g. I got both the signed Ron Carter albums which were 2000 editions, and I certainly didn’t do any queuing (I never do). Just snagged them online afterwards. Those I was expecting to fly out just due to Ron’s sig, and unlike most RSD stuff they have increased in value nicely (first one far more than the second, the latter seemed to fly under peoples radar as I think it missed the RSD day by a good month!).

These days I‘m reluctant to even call even 1000 limited, e.g. I thought for a while before ordering the new Dinked Goat Girl as that’s a 1000 edition (which is very high for Dinked, they are usually 250-500). I went for it as it is signed, and I always feel signed stuff is worth having. My suspicion in this world of endless colour variations etc is the future collectables will be fully signed first-issues regardless of shop variant etc. The colour aspect is getting boring IMO. Give me signatures or a hand-made cover!

FWIW I still think RSD is pretty naff from a collector perspective. Way too much overpriced average reissues etc. Regardless of immediate eBay flippers most tends to settle back to less than it cost on the day as far as I can tell. I’ve had a lot turn up in collections and it has to be something pretty special to be worth more than the typically inflated RSD price on the day. The interesting stuff is elsewhere and arriving all year round.

PS Here’s Mike’s take of the US list:

I agree, I use it mainly for picking up a copy of something I can't afford an original of like the Harmonia for instance. The only other things are just personal collectibles from artists I like etc. I'm not interested in trying to snag the super rare stuff just for flipping sake.

My suspicion in this world of endless colour variations etc is the future collectables will be fully signed first-issues regardless of shop variant etc. The colour aspect is getting boring IMO. Give me signatures or a hand-made cover!
Some of this stuff reminds me of the 90s comics boom where some issues would have a dozen or more cover variants. Not much of that stuff is worth money now.

I have a few signed records and posters where I've taken the, unusual for me, step of actually approaching someone and asking them to sign my stuff. They're not for sale because they're special to me - and sometimes signed 'To Paul...' - but I'm never quite sure how much this stuff is worth compared to an 'official' signed edition.

FWIW I still think RSD is pretty naff from a collector perspective. Way too much overpriced average reissues etc. Regardless of immediate eBay flippers most tends to settle back to less than it cost on the day as far as I can tell. I’ve had a lot turn up in collections and it has to be something pretty special to be worth more than the typically inflated RSD price on the day. The interesting stuff is elsewhere and arriving all year round.

PS Here’s Mike’s take of the US list:

Agree with this. I think the only RSD release I have that has really gone up in value is the split Joy Division/New Order 12" of Ceremony which now goes for well north of £100.... or as that's now known, the price of the average RSD reissue on day or release 😆

The Bill Evans Craft release:
  • BILL EVANS – Everybody Digs Bill Evans: This special mono edition of Evans’ 1959 album features AAA mastering from the original tapes by Matthew Lutthans at Cohearant Audio and is housed in a Stoughton® Tip-On Jacket. The album is pressed at RTI and presented on classic, 180-gram black vinyl.

Didn't notice this on the UK list?
  • JAZZ DISPENSARY – The Freedom Sound! The People Arise: The cratediggers of Jazz Dispensary are proud to present a collection of jams propelled by the spirit of nature, protest, and freedom, featuring songs from pioneering musicians Joe Henderson, Gary Bartz, Ran Blake, Azar Lawrence, A.K. Salim, and The Dungills. Pressed on Freedom Blue Swirl vinyl.

advertisement

Back