advertisement

RSD 2024

Looked at the list a few days ago & nothing of interest at all. There's been a few singles I bought some years ago online & that's about it. I did enquire via email about a couple of singles from our local RSD shop but they never got back to me, well, in any sensible time so I let them slip.

To be honest I really don't see the fuss of RSD day.

I don’t really understand the fuss about vinyl full stop. I was chatting to 30 something the other day, we started talking about music, he doesn’t have any records but felt he should have some. Felt like more of a lifestyle, home decor choice.

I do like to support local retailers where possible but RSD just feels like profiteering.

I do like to support local retailers where possible but RSD just feels like profiteering.
It's a day that benefits lots of record shops by getting punters through the door spending cash. I doubt most record shops are coining it so an annual big pay day that goes some way to offsetting rising rents and helps keep them trading is a good thing in my book.

As the end of the day no one is being forced to queue up for their Boyzone picture disc box set and some people even find it fun.

It's a day that benefits lots of record shops by getting punters through the door spending cash. I doubt most record shops are coining it so an annual big pay day that goes some way to offsetting rising rents and helps keep them trading is a good thing in my book.

As the end of the day no one is being forced to queue up for their Boyzone picture disc box set and some people even find it fun.
It’s not the record shops that are profiteering.

Contractually you shouldn’t be able to. They should only go online after RSD, it used to be that evening, but I think they’ve shifted it to 24 hours now. That said I never realised Juno was actually a record shop, I assumed it was an online shifter giving all the DJ hardware etc they shift, not a high st record store. As such I don’t understand how they’d be eligible for RSD. Has anyone ever been there?

PS Nothing against them at all, I’ve bought a lot there. A good business IMO, I just wasn’t aware it was a record shop under the RSD definition.

I've stuck a pre-order in and it was accepted (nothing to pay unless they fulfil) - maybe just a sneaky way of gauging which releases to actually stock. I know a couple of shops local to me have dropped out of RSD because they find it expensive to participate and get stuck with the less popular releases

Some of the pressing numbers in the US list will only relate to availabilty in the US itself (because nowhere else matters ;). It's actually hard to know a lot of the time.

One that caught my eye is the deluxe reissue of Lowell George’s Thanks I’ll Eat it Here - which is one of my favourite albums - released after he’d left Little Feat and featuring his singing rather than his slide guitar. There are excellent cover versions of Rickie Lee Jones‘s Easy Money, Ann Peebles - I can’t stand the rain and Allen Toussaint’s What Do You Want the Girl to do.
There’s an album of alternate cuts and previously unreleased tracks.

Not sure why the price is so frisky though- most retailers are quoting £69…..

Some of the pressing numbers in the US list will only relate to availabilty in the US itself (because nowhere else matters ;). It's actually hard to know a lot of the time.
Works both ways. US stores don't get the David Sylvian RSD releases, for example.

There's a few things I'd like this year, but I've never been to a store on the actual day... to those of you who have what is it like? A case of queuing for hours in the rain and then not getting what you want or is it more civilised than that? Any guide welcome. :D

There's a few things I'd like this year, but I've never been to a store on the actual day... to those of you who have what is it like? A case of queuing for hours in the rain and then not getting what you want or is it more civilised than that? Any guide welcome. :D

It can be like that, I’ve seen huge queues outside Piccadilly in Manchester. Long enough that I’ve never done it. That said I can’t think of anything I’ve really wanted that I haven’t found later online. Obviously I end up paying shipping, but I prefer that to the queueing and claustrophobia of a rammed store. As mentioned above I’ve found some stuff afterwards that I thought would be long gone, e.g. the signed Ron Carter, a Mugstar album limited to 500 etc.

I stand by what I said upthread that in most cases RSD stuff isn’t limited in any meaningful way, they press whatever they think they can sell into the shops. I certainly don’t view RSD as a good event for speculation, the popular stuff is always a very large pressing number. As an example I bet you could still find a sealed copy of Bowie’s Welcome To The Blackout 3xLP from six years ago for not that much more than the expensive price on the day (it was £45 or £49 IIRC), and that is one of the better RSD titles ever IMHO. They pressed shed-loads of it; Piccadilly had it in stock for months!

I bet you could still find a sealed copy of Bowie’s Welcome To The Blackout 3xLP from six years ago for not that much more than the expensive price on the day (it was £45 or £49 IIRC), and that is one of the better RSD titles ever IMHO. They pressed shed-loads of it; Piccadilly had it in stock for months!

I really must get round to unsealing my copy one of these years.

i.php

Cheaper than I remember, it certainly felt expensive at the time, but I guess I’ve been gaslit by Tone Poets etc now. It is well worth unsealing, think of it as a much better Stage with everything in the right order and all the audience reaction.

Just a couple on the 2024 list I'd like. Certainly not bothered enough to queue up at silly o'clock though!! In fact it would mean travelling to Liverpool now as my local shop in Southport gave up on RSD a couple of years ago.
In previous years I've always managed to bag the few I've wanted online anyway.
And I won't lose any sleep if I don't.

somehow I'd missed this one, which I think I would want...

One that caught my eye is the deluxe reissue of Lowell George’s Thanks I’ll Eat it Here - which is one of my favourite albums - released after he’d left Little Feat and featuring his singing rather than his slide guitar. There are excellent cover versions of Rickie Lee Jones‘s Easy Money, Ann Peebles - I can’t stand the rain and Allen Toussaint’s What Do You Want the Girl to do.
There’s an album of alternate cuts and previously unreleased tracks.

Not sure why the price is so frisky though- most retailers are quoting £69…..
I really like this record, it sounds fabulous on CD, never heard it on vinyl.

I have original UK and US vinyl versions of the album: both sound fabulous (US is better). I'd be interested in hearing the outtakes version, but £69 is utter b*ll*cks.
I’d not pay big money for it as I don’t find the CD wanting. £69 is just a joke, I am not optimistic about how ‘vital’ the out takes will be.

advertisement

Back