advertisement

ROGERS STUDIO 3 spkrs.

i appear to own a pair of studio 3s signature series,as i have only just discovererd this forum and as i work away from home i cant give any more details apart from :-black cabs black drivers square edges and i would not part with them i am smitten by their lucid musicality,i would appreciate any info, sorry if my spelling isnt brill

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum, and just bought a second hand pair of Rogers' Studio 3 speakers.

can i ask if it's okay to use Banana plugs into the terminals for the Rogers speakers?

will pulling it in and out damage the very 'classic' looking terminal?

thank you !

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum, and just bought a second hand pair of Rogers' Studio 3 speakers.

can i ask if it's okay to use Banana plugs into the terminals for the Rogers speakers?

will pulling it in and out damage the very 'classic' looking terminal?

thank you !
Welcome to the forum.

Yes you can use banana plugs without problem and they won't be damaged providing you don't abuse them.

Thanks for the reply!

@canonman, what do you mean by 'abusing' them? Would constantly pulling out and pushing in banana plugs consider abuse to the terminals?

By abusing I simply mean pulling the plugs out carefully. Regularly pulling them out roughly could bend them. Also do not over tighten the end cap. Just use common sense.

It's been a few years since my last reply in this thread, but...

I've been offered a pair of Rogers Studio 3's.
They seem to be in mint condition, but I'm having some doubts about their age.
The add claims the speakers are from 2002, but unless I'm wrong the Studio 3mk1 came out in the early 90's.
(I remember this review in Stereophile of the Studio 3 from 1993:http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/1293rogers/index.html )

Here's a link to the ad: http://www.hifi.nl/tweedehands/tekoop/150461/Rogers-Studio-3.html

Could anyone confirm they are from 2002 or many years earlier, according to this picture ?
150461_4_Rogers_Studio3_4.JPG

By the way: the price for me would be € 500,-
(which includes delivering personally to my house though, after a trip of a few hundred km's!)

Aha, thanks Canonman! I remember I had the mkII version.
(rounded edges, and if memory serves me well these were from the mid to late 90's)

Hmm, in that case the price of € 500,- seems a bit steep.

Correct re Mk 2's.

Price is not that high for a good pair, maybe just a little. Check the bass unit surrounds for glue drying out. Easy to fix but might get you a discount if the repair is needed ;)

The Studio 3's I mentioned last week are still for sale and I am still tempted to purchase them.

150461_2_Rogers_Studio3_2.JPG

I told him that the age of his speaker would have to be around 1992-1995.
He lowered his price to € 350,- including personal delivery to my house.
(eventhough he's offering the same speakers on another site for only € 150,- )

Could there be riscs when purchasing speakers of this age ?

The woofer surroundings are rubber, so no/less change to dry out, am I right ?
(like earlier Royd speakers who had those foam woofer surroundings)

On another forum I was warned for leaking capacitors on the crossover. :confused:

Whatta ya guys think...

thanks in advance

best regards,
Alco :)

hi, hum... why don't you ask a friend to get them for you at £150 and enjoy them? at that price it's a good deal whatever further maintenance you have to cover.
checking the crossovers' caps won't hurt anyway. old speakers? i have 1958 tannoys. of course it's different but there's no risks to buy older speakers, the older the better.

why don't you ask a friend to get them for you at £150 and enjoy them?
That's easier said than done. I don't have friends that also have a car. (lousy, broke friends :D ;) )

Btw....I just noticed 1 minute ago, someone placed a bid of € 225,- and the speakers are now reserved for that person.
So,...case closed I'm afraid. Thanks for all the response and advice people.

To continue this thread, I have bought a pair of what look like Studio 3s. Same bass/mid. driver, by the looks of it. The SEAS tweeters are not working. I managed to find new ones without a problem.
The crossovers are different and they are mounted high up in the cabinets behind the XLR inputs.
Looking forward to repairing them and giving them a listen.

Studio 3 have bi-wired banana sockets mounted on a plastic type plate engraved with "Rogers Studio 3" etc Never seen an XLR pair....
Bass drivers were always Seas baskets with Rogers own polyprop milky white cones and magnets. Crossovers have Studio 3 silk screened on them.
Photos would help.

Studio 3 have bi-wired banana sockets mounted on a plastic type plate engraved with "Rogers Studio 3" etc Never seen an XLR pair....
Bass drivers were always Seas baskets with Rogers own polyprop milky white cones and magnets. Crossovers have Studio 3 silk screened on them.
Photos would help.

The bass/mid. drivers have a metal cover over them, presumably screening. I will have to look if the chassis have SEAS on them.
The crossovers are rather crudely built, with lots of hard wiring soldered together to link the components. They have 'Rogers London England
2MKC9303' and 'PCB ST3' on them. There is a central hole in the PCB, where the back of the XLR goes, with four small mounting holes around it.
On the cabinets there are scribbled legends about crossovers on a white paper label. Also, a red dymo tape label with 'BBC LS' on it.

I will try to get some pictures of them done.

M Miles.

The bass/mid. drivers have a metal cover over them, presumably screening. I will have to look if the chassis have SEAS on them.
The crossovers are rather crudely built, with lots of hard wiring soldered together to link the components. They have 'Rogers London England
2MKC9303' and 'PCB ST3' on them. There is a central hole in the PCB, where the back of the XLR goes, with four small mounting holes around it.
On the cabinets there are scribbled legends about crossovers on a white paper label. Also, a red dymo tape label with 'BBC LS' on it.

I will try to get some pictures of them done.

M Miles.

I have been working on these and found that the cabinet apertures for the XLR connectors were actually made for SPEAKON sockets, the dimensions being exactly right. As the XLRs didn't fit correctly, or are an airtight design unlike the Speakon, I have bought a pair of those. With gaskets used under the Speakons, the cabinets will be airtight.
The tweeters have arrived and fit perfectly. As only one grille came with these speakers I am having a new pair made by Sid Chaplin of Traditional Radio Grilles. He always does a superb job.

Ever onward...

Just bought a pair of used but technically fine Rogers Studio 3's. I am using them in a nearfield situation at the end of my SBT-Creek passive preamp-Tube Technology Unisis Sig power amp. Very, very impressed by these!

Just bought a pair of used but technically fine Rogers Studio 3's. I am using them in a nearfield situation at the end of my SBT-Creek passive preamp-Tube Technology Unisis Sig power amp. Very, very impressed by these!

With the pretenders to the LS3/5a throne creating interest, perhaps the Studio 3 is having a new lease of life.
I wonder where my pair are now...

advertisement

Back