advertisement

ROGERS STUDIO 3 spkrs.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Rogers Studio 3s :I bought a pair about a year ago and have been very satisfied with them. I kept looking at LS3/5as on Ebay etc., but have never been sure which to ' go for' as regards age. I hear / read stories about early adhesives may cause a problem. I saw and heard the '3s before I bought them ( for £150) . Cabinets almost perfect and I manged to buy Linn Kan stands ( on eBay ) . As the cabinets are identical to '3/5as a perfect support. Soundwise, I love the way they ' time ' ( misused word , but makes my BC1s sound 'slow ' ). Don't get me wrong , I love my Spendors sense of scale, warmth and mid accuracy . Listening to Radio 4 plays, etc. on the '3s is wonderful and the amount of detail is amazing. I feel they've been overlooked by '3/5a collectors who love to purchase LS3/5a 'clones ' , such as Rogers JR149s. ( I've never heard them... ). I notice a pair of '3/5a type speakers on eBay, made by Thomas Heinitz at his former shop' Music in the Home ' are exciting interest... I am a lover of BBC ' sound' speakers. I have a pair of B & W DM4s. Nice spkr. , bit like BC1, but , to my ears, not as accurate. Martyn Miles . [email protected]

Hello Martyn,

I also bought myself a pair of Rogers Studio-3's, early last year.
It seems like you've bought the (mk1) version of the Studio-3 which is different (though much better looking!) than my (mkII) version.
(I still haven't been able to find any information regarding the mk2 version, on the internet)

Yours have the same cabinet as the LS3/5a. My Studio 3 only has the same dimensions but they have curved edges on the front,
which give them a slighty more thin cabinet look. (like the very early LS3/5a)

Mine came in some ugly 70's-look walnut veneer.
(although the manual states that they were also available in rosewood and black ash)

recommended positioning/placement, according to my Studio-3 manual:
"The Studio 3 will sound at its best when mounted on high mass supports approximately 60cm high./
On dedicated stands with maximum distance 150mm(6") from rear wall."

I must say I got best results moving about 300mm(12") from the rear wall.

Here's a few pics:
left_rogers_bottomshot.JPG

rogers_back.JPG

I currently have some B&W N805's in the house, and even though they look way much better than the ordinary Rogers,
the Rogers piss all over 'em. :D

The Rogers are fast, open, detailed and highly musical.
The B&W are...well, none of the above. (in my system)

Is it possible for you to place some pictures of your Studio-3's ?

regards,
Alco

Nice pics Alco. I think they look great
Thanks for the kind words, Rana.
On picture they may not look that bad, but in real life the colour is slighty different than on the picture.

I had some Italian speakers from Diapason, before I auditioned the Rogers.
Now those Italians know some things about beauty, style and finish. :)

Still, the Rogers are one of the very few speakers that don't mess up the bass, in my room.
systempic_grayscale.jpg

regards,
Alco

Interested by the serial No. ! Mine are 1102, which is very early. I love 'em.

Is there any way of getting to know the year my Rogers' were built,
according to the 2776 ser.nr ?
(I reckon it must be around the mid- to late 90's then ?)

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I own a pair of Rogers Studio 3 speakers which I bought some years ago now. I think they cost me something in the region of £300, about five or six years ago ?

Anyway, the question I wanted to ask those of you with experience of these speakers, is if you find them a bit weak in the bass regions ?

I don't have mine on stands, although I'd certainly like to put them on some, especially after viewing some of the pics in this thread. At the moment they're on, ahem, blue-tac, on top of a small cabinet.

I have them bi-wired from my Sony amp, and they sound amazingly clear and spacious. Very detailed too. My source is a Cambridge Audio CD player.

(I can post the exact model numbers of the accompanying equipment if anyone would like to know what they are.)

I always double-check the wiring for these speakers if I set them up in a new location or something, to make sure I haven't got them out of phase etc. But like I said, they sound great, except for the bass, which is there if the recording is well done, and the frequencies in question are very low, but for chart stuff the bass is somewhat 'castrated'.

Has this been the experience with any other Rogers Studio 3 speaker owners ? Are they supposed to be a bit light on the bottom end ?

Thanks for your time all.

Regards,

Chenz.

P.S. I think the serial numbers of my speakers are something like 1496. I'll know more tomorrow when I can get in the room again. :)

Well, I can imagine some may find the Studio-3's a little light in the bottom end.
It's enough for me, but they are still small and sealed speakers (no bass-reflex port). I do think the bass is very tight though.

I think if you can put your speaker on some decent, preferably high-mass stands, you will be in for a nice improvement.

regards,
Alco

Alco said:
I think if you can put your speaker on some decent, preferably high-mass stands, you will be in for a nice improvement.

I think you're right there Alco. Next month = speaker stands.

If anyone's interested, my serial numbers for my Rogers Studio 3's are : 1496 A and B respectively. They are made with some really solid wood, and stained black.

They are bi-wired to a Sony TA-FB930R integrated amplifier, which is in turn fed by a Cambridge Audio Azur 340C CD player through some Audioquest interconnects. Speaker cable is a kind of generic 79-strand, if that makes any sense.

I reckon with a nice pair of speaker stands, and in the distant future a new *cough* Musical Fidelity *cough* pre/power amplifier combo I could have what would be an 'ultimate' set up for me.

Regards,

Chenz.

If anyone's interested, my serial numbers for my Rogers Studio 3's are : 1496 A and B respectively. They are made with some really solid wood, and stained black

Chenz, do your Rogers Studio-3's look like mine, with curved edges, and a black woofer, or do they have the transparent woofer and same cabinet as the LS3/5a ?
(the latter are the mk1 versions and I must confess look much better than my mkII's, imho)

Mine look like this, without front covers:
rogers_zonder_front.JPG

And like this from behind:

rogers_back.JPG

I'm expecting to get some Stirling V2's delivered next week.
I'm VERY curious how they sound and compare to my Rogers Studio-3!
(I have high expectations, but ifff they do dissapoint I have the chance to return them and get me money back :) )

regards,
Alco

Alco said:
Chenz, do your Rogers Studio-3's look like mine, with curved edges, and a black woofer, or do they have the transparent woofer and same cabinet as the LS3/5a ?
(the latter are the mk1 versions and I must confess look much better than my mkII's, imho)

Alco, my Rogers Studio 3's have transparent woofers, and straight edges so I assume they're Mk 1's.

I'm expecting to get some Stirling V2's delivered next week.
I'm VERY curious how they sound and compare to my Rogers Studio-3!

Happy listening. :)

Just wanted to add that your point about the Studio 3's having no bass reflex ports is something that I'd glossed over. Incredible really, but it never occurred to me that this would affect their bass output to a degree. I'm just so used to seeing the ports there on other speakers, at least the ones I've seen and used in the past, that it just never clicked. Doh. :)

Did some listening this afternoon with the essential (for me) hifi experience-enhancer, Guinness, and tried a variety of musical genres. The Rogers Studio 3's are very tight in the bass regions, which is actually an advantage for me in my smallish front room. Always better to have a tight bottom end than a huge boomy one that constantly needs reigning in. Ahem. :)

Regards,

Chenz.

My Studio 3s ( Serial Nos. 0149 A & B ) have transparent bass/midrange units. An early pair... I wasn't aware the units had changed at some point . I wonder why ?

I'm almost beginning to think I'm the only one on this planet, with the (more ugly) MK2 Studio-3's ;)

I've never seen 1 pic or any info about my version of the Studio-3 on the internet.
(about price, age,etc)

I'm almost beginning to think I'm the only one on this planet, with the (more ugly) MK2 Studio-3's ;)

Although they're uglier than my current Stirling V2 LS3/5a's, I must confess I'm having a pretty hard time to follow the Stirling dealer's recommendation of stacking the old Rogers in a closet, and only listen (and get used) to the new Stirling for the nest 2 weeks.

The Rogers Studio-3 should be (from what I've read so far) an unsuccesfull replacement for the LS3/5a, some 10-12 years ago,
still my ears tell me they match my room, taste and system much more...:rolleyes:

left_rogers_bottomshot.JPG

too bad,...cause I prefer the cabinet and feneer version of the V2's.

stirling_v2_walnut.jpg

O Well,... I got the offer of 3 weeks auditioning, and if I'm still not convinced of the (supposed) superiority of the LS3/5a's,
I will get my money back. :)

regards,
Alco

Interesting, this idea of ' putting the Rogers in the closet for 2 weeks'. I swap between my Studio 3s and Spendor BC1s depending on what's going on at home. ( See my posting re. these speakers on ' LS3/5a madness ' ). Sometimes I don't hear the '3s for a month or so, but love them when they're 'fired up '. Now, if someone would lend me a pair of Stirling V2s... ( I would probably get totally confused by it all ).

hi,my rogers studio3 serial # is 00003A and 00003B.can anybody has an idea of tha manufacturing date of this numbers? thanks..

Image874.jpg

Image875.jpg

Image872.jpg

Your Rogers Studio-3's look great Alvie.
(much better than mine in fact)

You seem to have the mk1 version, that looks (even) more similar to the LS3/5a. I have the (ugly duck) mk-II version.
rogers_low_angle_shot.JPG

Mine is from around 1996/97, and have a much higher serial numbers, so I guess yours are from around 1992/93.
rogers_back.JPG

I used a Naim Nait-2, when I got my Rogers', followed by a Nait-5i, for the last year.
(currently have Naim N-Sats with my Nait-5i)

Still have my Rogers Studio-3, and they're now used in a 2nd system.
(mostly for background music or occasionally listen to some vinyl, using a recently recapped Nait-1)

advertisement

Back