advertisement

Roger Waters' DSOTM redux

Norbert Stachel, Waters’ former saxophonist, alleged several instances where he said Waters displayed anti-Jewish sentiment. He claimed Waters lost his temper on tour in Lebanon after a succession of vegetarian dishes were produced at a restaurant and demanded that waiters “take away the Jew food”.

Stachel also alleged Waters mocked his grandmother who was murdered in the Holocaust, and that a colleague warned him not to react to any comments about Jews if he wanted to keep his job.

The allegations were made in an online documentary by the CAA presented by the veteran Panorama journalist John Ware.

The music producer Bob Ezrin claimed that when he was in England in the 1970s producing the album The Wall, Waters invented a ditty about the band’s agent Bryan Morrison. Ezrin said: “I can’t remember the exact circumstance, but something like you know … the last line of the couplet was ‘cos Morry is a f***ing Jew’.”

There's a thread for all that rubbish in off topic, this is the music section.
Well, it’s Waters himself that brings the bile into his music. But by all means crack on. I think it’s a bit more than ‘all that rubbish’. I’ll say nothing more on it.

This is absolutely appalling. I cannot believe how bad this is.

Pretentious, ruinous, hateful of the original, dull, & self-obsessive.

So bad, it makes William Shatner's turgid pompous nonsense sound like musical genius.

Will probably never listen to this. I guess it was something he felt he needed to do. Do I care? Not really, don't know the guy.

Norbert Stachel, Waters’ former saxophonist, alleged several instances where he said Waters displayed anti-Jewish sentiment. He claimed Waters lost his temper on tour in Lebanon after a succession of vegetarian dishes were produced at a restaurant and demanded that waiters “take away the Jew food”.

Stachel also alleged Waters mocked his grandmother who was murdered in the Holocaust, and that a colleague warned him not to react to any comments about Jews if he wanted to keep his job.

The allegations were made in an online documentary by the CAA presented by the veteran Panorama journalist John Ware.

The music producer Bob Ezrin claimed that when he was in England in the 1970s producing the album The Wall, Waters invented a ditty about the band’s agent Bryan Morrison. Ezrin said: “I can’t remember the exact circumstance, but something like you know … the last line of the couplet was ‘cos Morry is a f***ing Jew’.”
Lots of allegations! Yadda yadda yadda.

I think PF are interesting upto 1976.

Out of curiosity I gave this a run through on tidal - it has a real negativity and is monotonous.
I have no idea why he felt it necessary as it adds absolutely nothing to the original.

I
I think PF are interesting upto 1976.

Out of curiosity I gave this a run through on tidal - it has a real negativity and is monotonous.
I have no idea why he felt it necessary as it adds absolutely nothing to the original.

Simply an all-encompassing bitterness, & a continual pathalogical & childish need to eclipse the others it seems to me.

Listened to it last night - won't be repeating the exercise.
Absolute borefest as far as I'm concerned.

Is the last side as batshit crazy as I’ve been led to believe by Mike at The In Groove suggests? He describes a side-long spoken-word rant over various ambience:

About 7 minutes in.

I respect Roger Waters, but this album is really boring....:confused:
Was there a need to remake TDSOTM, an already practically perfect album?
What does RW's version add to the musical landscape?

How could you think of remaking TDSOTM without using the electric guitar?

It is of no real interest to me as I’ve had no interest in any Floyd solo career aside from Syd’s, but I think the idea of revisiting a work with a much older perspective is interesting and can have value. Happens a lot within jazz, e.g. Thelonious Monk’s later work is largely reinterpretations of his earliest, Coltrane kept going back to My Favourite Things with fascinating new perspectives, the Headhunters version of Watermelon Man is a whole different thing to the original Blue Note etc etc. I certainly don’t knock the idea, though I’ve no idea what Waters has brought to this.
Another example - Dylan's been doing this career long in performance ( and live recordings of shows) and, more recently in the studio with the Shadow Kingdom record. In some cases it feels like its only the lyrics and basic chords that remain but its always interesting.

I'm not a Floyd Fan but, like many, and whether I like the record or not, DSTOM was one of those constant background records for part of my youth so a quick listen out of curiosity. It strikes me that Waters simply hasn't done this very well. It sounds closer to old people's home karaoke than a thoughtful re-imagining.

Turned it on. Sat on sofa. Fell asleep on sofa. Very chilled. Soporific. Fine for sleeping too. But felt a bit tedious if awake.

advertisement

Back