advertisement

Roger Waters' DSOTM redux

On the strength of the Money link given, I have zero curiosity for the rest of the release.
Pretty dire IMHO.

It is of no real interest to me as I’ve had no interest in any Floyd solo career aside from Syd’s, but I think the idea of revisiting a work with a much older perspective is interesting and can have value. Happens a lot within jazz, e.g. Thelonious Monk’s later work is largely reinterpretations of his earliest, Coltrane kept going back to My Favourite Things with fascinating new perspectives, the Headhunters version of Watermelon Man is a whole different thing to the original Blue Note etc etc. I certainly don’t knock the idea, though I’ve no idea what Waters has brought to this.

Dave Gilmour's first self titled LP is a good album @Tony L and Water's Pros and Cons and Amused to Death are on a par with Pink Floyd's Lps IMO

Waters seems to be in a continuous spat with Gilmour, a huge chip on his shoulder over the rights to the Pink Floyd name.

I wonder who originally came up with the name? Syd Barrett was the creative force early on, could it technically be his?

I wonder who originally came up with the name? Syd Barrett was the creative force early on, could it technically be his?

Syd , though his creativity was short lived due to becoming an acid casualty. It wasn't very long at all before Gilmour joined to take over guitar playing.
To be honest it really took Gilmours , Wrights and Masons playing along with Waters lyrics to produce the greatness of Pink Floyd IMO. When Waters left they lost the great lyrical content, that's not to say I don't like the later material.

Syd , though his creativity was short lived due to becoming an acid casualty. It wasn't very long at all before Gilmour joined to take over guitar playing.

That isn’t my point. If you look at the writing credits on their first album, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Barrett is either sole credit or lead credit on all bar one track. Pink Floyd was in effect his band. As such it wouldn’t surprise me if the rest of them were still all arguing about a band name Barrett created.

"The name Pink Floyd was created on the spur of a moment by Syd Barrett, when another band, also called the Tea Set, was to perform at one of their gigs. The name came from two blues musicians in Barrett's record collection; Pink Anderson and Floyd Council."

It is of no real interest to me as I’ve had no interest in any Floyd solo career aside from Syd’s, but I think the idea of revisiting a work with a much older perspective is interesting and can have value. Happens a lot within jazz, e.g. Thelonious Monk’s later work is largely reinterpretations of his earliest, Coltrane kept going back to My Favourite Things with fascinating new perspectives, the Headhunters version of Watermelon Man is a whole different thing to the original Blue Note etc etc. I certainly don’t knock the idea, though I’ve no idea what Waters has brought to this.

You have to give "Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports" a go, as it's essentially a Carla Bley album with Robert Wyatt singing, so if you like any of the ECM / WATT albums featuring them, worth a punt.

You have to give "Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports" a go, as it's essentially a Carla Bley album with Robert Wyatt singing, so if you like any of the ECM / WATT albums featuring them, worth a punt.

Interesting. I’ve actually had a few copies pass through the shop and never bothered spinning them! I had no idea Bley and Wyatt were on it, that makes it a heck of a lot more interesting than I thought!

That isn’t my point. If you look at the writing credits on their first album, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Barrett is either sole credit or lead credit on all bar one track. Pink Floyd was in effect his band. As such it wouldn’t surprise me if the rest of them were still all arguing about a band name Barrett created.

Originally Syd called the band 'The Pink Floyd Sound' , this was shortened to Pink Floyd due to a poster misprint or a Record company rep making a mistake, (depends on what story is believed), but yes Pink Floyd was definitely Syds band, Gilmour was only ever supposed to 'help' with guitar playing duties as they thought Syd would get better, they thought he would come back but his mental health declined and unfortunately he didn't. I'm not sure if the band were entitled to use the name 'Pink Floyd' or indeed if Syd would've wanted them to change names, all of the other members hoped he would return at some point.
Then again if he had Wish you were here or Dark side of the Moon wouldn't have been written, sad as it is this was happened.
We'll never know now if things had've taken a different course if they would've disappeared into obscurity like alot of other 60's psychedelic bands or if they would've went on to create equally great or greater albums than we have.

Was having a listen to what's been made available. I have to say, for all that I wanted to dislike it, I do like it: it's got shades of Cohen, as noted above, and a reflective and darker vibe than the original. I may be compelled to buy this when it's officially out. If that makes me a bad person, so be it...

New Project DSOTM.
The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon-Feature-4.png

pro-ject-dark-side-of-the-moon-turntable-p5746-35232_medium.jpg

Only just got around to giving this a listen, I'd definitely class it as it's own thing rather than just a DOSTM redux.

He’s a horrible anti-Semite & I would urge you all to not enrich him any further. Some deeply unpleasant things have been coming out lately. By all means enjoy the classic PF albums but sometimes you just have to call this stuff out.

advertisement

Back