advertisement

Robovacs

we had a Eufy 30C which claimed 16mm lip, but it was very unreliable at getting from our hard floor on to our rug.....maybe about 10-12mm. It kept getting stuck, so we sent it back.

I tried an el-cheap one, but it got regularly stuck trying to climb over feet of sofa and armchair. Plus it’s algorithm seemed a little dim witted - are the more expensive ones better?

Yes, Roomba apparently wrote a lot of the code for the Mars rover...

https://www.theonion.com/nasa-s-mars-roomba-begins-mission-to-clean-dust-from-pl-1819580347

It does map the room and can adapt if you move stuff around. Mine will pootle along hoovering and before it gets to a wall or chair leg etc will slow right down and use the touch sensor to confirm something is there. It's pretty funky to watch it navigating around.

After watching Red Planet I'm always very polite to my Roomba though.

iRobot Roomba i7+ is very good. This company makes the devices that skim the ocean to clean up oil spills.

Be careful if you have pets as they can’t detect dog poop and will make a mess of your home if it encounters some and spreads it around.

What model Eufy please? Their better ones can manage 16mm lips...off to check my furniture :)
Eufy 11

Laughs at this 2cm step into the kitchen, marches across like it doesn't exist.

47778930941_577a2a4450.jpg

Eufy 11

Laughs at this 2cm step into the kitchen, marches across like it doesn't exist.

47778930941_577a2a4450.jpg

is that a sloped threshold rather than a sheer step? also it looks like hard floor to hard floor. Our rug stopped the Eufy in its steps

is that a sloped threshold rather than a sheer step? also it looks like hard floor to hard floor. Our rug stopped the Eufy in its steps
Fairly steep step, a cheaply laid floor, so it has a few lumps and a bit of a slope at the edge.

We have an iLife bought in the Amazon Black Friday sale. Cost £110. It’s excellent. The algorithm doesn’t do mapping, just randomly moves around. Has a “radar” as well as a sensing bumper, so collisions are low speed.

Interesting story about a robo-vac and an un-house-trained dog which shared the downstairs of a house overnight. It did not end well.

We have an iLife bought in the Amazon Black Friday sale. Cost £110. It’s excellent. The algorithm doesn’t do mapping, just randomly moves around. Has a “radar” as well as a sensing bumper, so collisions are low speed.

Interesting story about a robo-vac and an un-house-trained dog which shared the downstairs of a house overnight. It did not end well.

How do the random algorithm ones move room to room? Do they just keep going until the battery is flat and then return to dock? Just wondering how they cope with multiple rooms.

How do the random algorithm ones move room to room? Do they just keep going until the battery is flat and then return to dock? Just wondering how they cope with multiple rooms.
So far mine wanders around randomly and when it is running out of charge it goes back to base. Its flaw seems to be it does not set off again to finish the job when fully charged. Our apartment is small though, so it is not a big deal.

I see. Do you have it set to run every day or do you just set it off manually whilst you're in? The idea of it running when I'm out at work is appealing.

I see. Do you have it set to run every day or do you just set it off manually whilst you're in? The idea of it running when I'm out at work is appealing.
When i am out. I have moved the base also though. it's too noisy to have on when in. And it takes ages to do a room, probably 20 mins.

The iRobot i7 and 960 returns to the dock when the battery needs charging and resumes where it left off and completes the job. The lower models do not.

I cannot afford to spend that kind of money on a hoover.
Plus you say you have a small apartment. We can vacuum clean our four bed house in 20 minutes. The London place takes about 10 minutes. In Greece we just sometimes use a broom.

Ours runs overnight every night at 3am.

We’re not great at housework (both work 45 plus hours) and hovering was a “when it looks like it needs it” thing.

Our oatmeal carpet looks a lot cleaner now that Robbie* has had at it for four months.

*they’re all called Robbie, right?

Mines called Hoover Bot :)

I researched the Eufy and then typically did nothing...an iRobot 675 was on sale at Aldi locally today, so chf 240 later it’s happily cleaning my trash pad. Very impressed with first 30 min clean on out of box battery charge - 51 dirt events detected...i wonder if this is some kind of world record :) And no getting stuck like the el-cheapo- it climbs over everything!

advertisement

Back