advertisement

Road Tax Reminders

Postal reminder here was fine. Taxed one of our cars yesterday. Is this a post or dvla issue?

Yes, I had a "last chance reminder" the other day, having had no "first chance reminder". Just thought it had been lost in the post, but probably not it seems. If only we were given a disc or something to stick to the windscreen as a reminder.

I received a DVLA threatening letter about my road tax having expired just as I was leaving home to catch a plane to Turkey. No previous reminder. Sat in the departure lounge at Luton airport applying to renew online. I suppose it took my mind off what a shithole Luton airport is.

It never ceases to amaze me how much junk HMRC send out, lots of duplicate mail re tax codes & returns. My wife did get a reminder through the post for her car in the last week though. Seems a bit inconsistent.

Madam was also caught out earlier this year

As she was with the MOT, even though I had sent her a reminder to place in her diary just over a month in advance

I need a system for all this stuff

Postal reminder here was fine.

Was a bit concerned (much earlier in previous years) but mine has arrived; makes life so much easier, though that 'levy' (£5 in my case) was sth I'd not read about. Thought my car was £30 p.a. for life !!!!! Ev'ry little which-way to screw motorists !!

Was a bit concerned (much earlier in previous years) but mine has arrived; makes life so much easier, though that 'levy' (£5 in my case) was sth I'd not read about. Thought my car was £30 p.a. for life !!!!! Ev'ry little which-way to screw motorists !!

Ditto! I received a reminder earlier this month that road tax was due by the end of August at the ridiculous price of £35 for the year. Harrumph, like Mike I thought it would be £30 ad infinitum or until the car dies, whichever comes first. :p

My wife got her reminder, then a few weeks later the red warning reminder. So why didn't she act on the first one? Well, she's got an electric car so there was nothing to pay, so she assumed it was just a clerical thing and didn't require a response from her. Wrong, you still have to reply, even though there's nowt to pay.

Just a 'heads up' for British drivers.
A friend tells me he recently received a 'Final Reminder' that his Vehicle Road Tax was due for renewal. He was puzzled, having had no earlier reminder.
It turned out he'd been driving an untaxed vehicle for about 3 weeks..plenty of time for him to be deemed uninsured etc..as a result of a routine stop etc.
As it was he taxed his vehicle online and it was backdated to the previous expiry date...but..
It turns out that lots of people are not receiving reminders due to some changes in the system, and of course ultimately we are all responsible for ensuring we are 'road legal.
So get online to Gov.Uk ( not one of the scammer sites that want to charge a fee for looking it up for you .), check your dates and put a timely reminder in your diary.

Thanks for that - I had the same experience, and didn't think we'd ignored re reminder - so at least I know we're not going mad!

My wife got her reminder, then a few weeks later the red warning reminder. So why didn't she act on the first one? Well, she's got an electric car so there was nothing to pay, so she assumed it was just a clerical thing and didn't require a response from her. Wrong, you still have to reply, even though there's nowt to pay.

Same for mothers Auris diesel. Zero VED (so is clearly excellent for the environment) but you still have to ‘tax’ it.

My reminder for the Morris 1100 van didn't appear when they went on strike many years ago. Six months later a beady eyed traffic policeman gave chase unknown to me.

Half an hour later i came back down the road to see a police car in the ditch; i politely offered to tow him out before he could explain why he got there.

My reminder for the Morris 1100 van didn't appear when they went on strike many years ago. Six months later a beady eyed traffic policeman gave chase unknown to me.

Half an hour later i came back down the road to see a police car in the ditch; i politely offered to tow him out before he could explain why he got there.
You outran a police car in a Morris 1100 van? Are you Nigel Mansell?

Can you use your UK driving licence in place of the passport or don`t they consider it was issued by a reliable authority?

The only people who believe in passports are racists because the thing is designed to only allow the privileged few into a country. We should all have the right to travel anywhere and not having a bunch of racists trying to restrict our freedom to travel. The things should be burnt.

The only people who believe in passports are racists because the thing is designed to only allow the privileged few into a country. We should all have the right to travel anywhere and not having a bunch of racists trying to restrict our freedom to travel. The things should be burnt.

Says Mick knowing full well not even the most naive lefty after a full bong and a tab of “E” would ever propose such an idea.

Says Mick knowing full well not even the most naive lefty after a full bong and a tab of “E” would ever propose such an idea.

Yes because most lefties don't want them foriners coming in and pinching their jobs. Never forget that Enoch Powells greatest supporters were the Miners and Dockers who demonstrated in support of him and the Unions kept quiet.

Anyone to takes action against someone else based on their place of birth is a racist. It's a worldwide major hypocrisy

Yes because most lefties don't want them foriners coming in and pinching their jobs. Never forget that Enoch Powells greatest supporters were the Miners and Dockers who demonstrated in support of him and the Unions kept quiet.

Anyone to takes action against someone else based on their place of birth is a racist. It's a worldwide major hypocrisy

You can argue passports should never have been introduced and I would agree with you, you can argue they can be gradually phased out and I would agree with you but scrapping them immediately would just not work.

advertisement

Back