advertisement

Road Tax Reminders

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Just a 'heads up' for British drivers.
A friend tells me he recently received a 'Final Reminder' that his Vehicle Road Tax was due for renewal. He was puzzled, having had no earlier reminder.
It turned out he'd been driving an untaxed vehicle for about 3 weeks..plenty of time for him to be deemed uninsured etc..as a result of a routine stop etc.
As it was he taxed his vehicle online and it was backdated to the previous expiry date...but..
It turns out that lots of people are not receiving reminders due to some changes in the system, and of course ultimately we are all responsible for ensuring we are 'road legal.
So get online to Gov.Uk ( not one of the scammer sites that want to charge a fee for looking it up for you .), check your dates and put a timely reminder in your diary.

I just pay by direct debit, then it renews automatically each year without having to think about anything or have a need for a reminder

I just pay by direct debit, then it renews automatically each year without having to think about anything or have a need for a reminder
Yes - mine has just rolled over for next month (having bought the car annoying near the end of a September...), very clear email comms from dvla, no action required. Took that as a reminder to ring-around & renew my insurance early. Surprisingly easy - as it should be, these days.

You would still be insured, generally.
You would still be insured, always, unless you managed to have your tax and insurance expire same day and miss both, or if you let both separately run out. If you ignore all those reminders you deserve all you get.

All valid points, but it still looks like the DVLA are changeing to a system of email and text reminders..and not publicising the discontinuation of postal reminders. Not everyone is online.

A friend tells me he recently received a 'Final Reminder' that his Vehicle Road Tax was due for renewal. He was puzzled, having had no earlier reminder.
It turned out he'd been driving an untaxed vehicle for about 3 weeks..plenty of time for him to be deemed uninsured etc..as a result of a routine stop etc.
As it was he taxed his vehicle online and it was backdated to the previous expiry date...but..
It turns out that lots of people are not receiving reminders due to some changes in the system, and of course ultimately we are all responsible for ensuring we are 'road legal.
So get online to Gov.Uk ( not one of the scammer sites that want to charge a fee for looking it up for you .), check your dates and put a timely reminder in your diary.

How spooky.

My Z4 didn't get a reminder and I drove it to a car show, untaxed for 6 days.

I didn't realise but the red reminder came through so I taxed it asap a few days later.

My Arteon got a reminder so I was expecting one for the Z4. Odd.

Thanks for the thread @Mullardman

Had no reminder for one of mine which was due end of July. Fortunately I remembered and did it online from the reference on the V5. Make a diary note in case!

All valid points, but it still looks like the DVLA are changeing to a system of email and text reminders..and not publicising the discontinuation of postal reminders. Not everyone is online.

Well I’m guessing most here are, and anyone who isn’t can just rely on… a diary? If they’re that intent on destroying looms, they’ll have a diary, surely?

Well, road tax hasn’t existed t since the 30s but VED is every 12 months. I’ve just signed up for direct debit as I now qualify for luxury VED.

Isn’t modern life brilliant?

Some deliberate point missing going on here.
Yes. I've already said we are all responsible for ensuring our vehicles are road legal, but, it's not unreasonable to fall back on an established system of reminders.
In my view..it IS unreasonable for Govt. to change the system with no fanfare.
Most of us know about the Govt. online Tax/MOT checking facility. Imagine the chaos if they decided to stop updating that with no fanfare?

My wife has MS and as such is a registered seriously disabled person. So we don't pay car tax.

But I wish we had no reason to be exempt from paying it. I'm pretty sure she does too.
Well I would imagine that was self evident.

Are you talking about postal reminders?

Mullardman....This has happened to two friends, who have multiple vehicles, no reminders then just a final warning both had been driving without road tax.
Something else broken it seems. I don't mind paying the £1400 a year roadtax in the UK though... because the roads are so good.

2ba5e880f0ed0266eb87480a4311c8ef.png

advertisement

Back