advertisement

RIP Denmark St

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7zv7qYA0EE&ab_channel=EvolBars

nowt to do with Outline Planning Permission, just like the tune

This thread reminds me of local forums about the past, every f...er saying it was better before and all sitting on their arses. We have at least 3 or 4 local forums and they all go the same way

Ive never said something was better, my concern in that making ‘better’ (to some) hurts people and destroys lives.

I want better for people who exist in these places now, not be forced out of their ‘need improvement’ homes to make way for millionaires and foreign investors.

Ive never said something was better, my concern in that making ‘better’ (to some) hurts people and destroys lives.

I want better for people who exist in these places now, not be forced out of their ‘need improvement’ homes to make way for millionaires and foreign investors.

I think you need to start a campaign, not that you can prevent it. the whole world is virtually going the same way, like it or not.

I think you need to start a campaign, not that you can prevent it. the whole world is virtually going the same way, like it or not.

isn’t that a BS Tory inspired statement, there are and have been many many campaigns and sadly to this date they have never stopped a gentrification plan because an estate with no financial support and without a plethora of residents who are lawyers, judges, etc cannot take on the power and money of developers, investors and councils and the corruption within this.

But what they do do is raise awareness so the likes of yourself and other middle class heroes can understand the realities and some can begin to side with the working man and eventually there will be enough support that things may be able to be changed.

I would rather die trying than to accept it and join it.

So where were all you complainers when the O.P.P. was submitted, easy to complain afterwards

There is at least one old thread somewhere with petitions against the development etc. We did what little was in our power. I’m pretty sure there is more than one. I certainly remember signing about four different petitions against differing aspects, protecting different places on Denmark St.

Good, then start by doing your bit. When you sell your house if you have one, sell it to who you think is the poorest among the potential customers, and for 20% less.

Big real estate business doesn’t work any different.

isn’t that a BS Tory inspired statement, there are and have been many many campaigns and sadly to this date they have never stopped a gentrification plan because an estate with no financial support and without a plethora of residents who are lawyers, judges, etc cannot take on the power and money of developers, investors and councils and the corruption within this.

But what they do do is raise awareness so the likes of yourself and other middle class heroes can understand the realities and some can begin to side with the working man and eventually there will be enough support that things may be able to be changed.

I doubt it is wholly Tory, I have not voted for them since 1979 and realised my error within days.

I am not middle class, I come from a working class family and proud of it, so if that makes me a Tory in your view, then so be it.

your last point seems a bit extreme to me, because you have now made your point so why not do something about the next proposals for re-development etc

There is at least one old thread somewhere with petitions against the development etc. We did what little was in our power. I’m pretty sure there is more than one. I certainly remember signing about four different petitions against differing aspects, protecting different places on Denmark St.

somehow you need to muster a lot more support, because it is just not happening

Online petitions are wishful thinking. What it takes is people who agree to pay out of their pockets for the difference.

Going back to culture, I know of a few people who finance concert halls, museums, or the renovation of old buildings. Incidentally, most of them happen to be Conservative people with no only money but also the generosity to support causes they deem important.

Wasn’t Prince Charles a militant for the preservation of old buildings? He is a Tory, isn’t he ?

somehow you need to muster a lot more support, because it is just not happening

The planet is rapidly heading towards a mass extinction event due to climate change, and I’m not having much effect there either. There is a limit to what a bloke with an audio and music forum can achieve, though I like to think I do more than most of my peers!

Wasn’t Prince Charles a militant for the preservation of old buildings? He is a Tory, isn’t he ?

Yes, in the most ignorant, artless and talentless way imaginable. His idea of architecture is some godawful Franklin Mint chocolate box kitsch. He did huge, huge damage. A man who barely understands how trousers work (he is apparently ‘dressed’ by a professional) having a huge platform by birth to shape trends. Honestly the stuff he influenced really was utter shit. The absolute worst. Very Tory.

I dont. Impossible. I gather you do though?
A two-bedroom flat. If ever, I would sell it to the guy who pays me most, unless he is a ****er likely to cause me problems during or after the sale. For my own interest, of course, but I have yet to see a leftie who’d agree to sell his object for less than the highest possible price, only for feeling like a good man afterwards.

A two-bedroom flat. If ever, I would sell it to the guy who pays me most, unless he is a ****er likely to cause me problems during or after the sale. For my own interest, of course, but I have yet to see a leftie who’d agree to sell his object for less than the highest possible price, only for feeling like a good man afterwards.

You think all the people being thrown out of there estates own their houses?

In fact, a small portion of them do, but the freeholders are either private equity firms or councils, so they do get thrown out even when having some form of ownership at a rate the council defines, which is often very different to market value.

It's got very little to do with selling a flat. But again, with you not even residing in England, let alone a city which undergoes major gentrification on a daily basis, your views to me are very worthless.

let alone a city which undergoes major gentrification on a daily basis, your views to me are very worthless.
I was born in Zurich (a very classy city with a lake) and moved out 1972, the house was sold 400k Swiss francs, nowadays it’s worth over three million. And some of the houses in Seebach quarter (along the lake and a 10 minute-walk to main station) are going for prices 100 times higher than when they were built in the early fifties. Any more questions ?

I was born in Zurich (a very classy city with a lake) and moved out 1972, the house was sold 400k Swiss francs, nowadays it’s worth over three million. And some of the houses in Seebach quarter (along the lake and a 10 minute-walk to main station) are going for prices 100 times higher than when they were built in the early fifties. An more questions ?

So you are talking a 50 year transition, when areas of London currently have this financial level of transition in a year or two.

No real comparison really. As I said, you have absolutely no idea about what is going on currently in London, and other cities in the UK.

Okay, then I guess the phenomenon is limited to the UK in particular, after all you are the only country run by the Tories.

But you know, if you as a tourist feel safe now its all worth it wasn't it?
I forgot to answer this - yes indeed, I like it when I can visit a place without being robbed, hurt or killed. The locals might appreciate that too.

Okay, then I guess the phenomenon is limited to the UK in particular, after all you are the only country run by the Tories.

I forgot to answer this - yes indeed, I like it when I can visit a place without being robbed, hurt or killed. The locals might appreciate that too.

Yeah thats a big big problem in London, tourists getting killed, its all over the news everyday, but its ok to destroy the lives of tens of thousands to cater for this, instead of finding the solution without doing this.

So it appears petitions in this field are pointless so why bother complaining about it after it has been constructed.

advertisement

Back