advertisement

RIP Denmark St

I forgot to answer this - yes indeed, I like it when I can visit a place without being robbed, hurt or killed. The locals might appreciate that too.

But Denmark St isn't to my knowledge a crime hotspot (unless you count some of the prices!)

When I lived in Camden I would regularly see phones and bags snatched. My understanding is that a lot of this petty crime was done by people with substance addiction problems.

Building swanky hotels and immersive brand experiences doesn't reduce crime it just moves it a mile down the road. Makes it Someone Else's Problem.

of course it can be stopped - it has been stopped here, and in other local towns.

As for Denmark St, it was unloved and unwanted by all apart from those wearing rose tinted glasses.

My mother was born on isle of dogs near the docks, my grandfather was a docker. They moved out to the suburbs (which were then Hackney), when different communities started to move in. They complained of cultural vandalism. Interestingly when i took my mum back recently she thought all the new developments were fantastic, and way better than in the years she was bought up in.

of course it can be stopped - it has been stopped here, and in other local towns.

As for Denmark St, it was unloved and unwanted by all apart from those wearing rose tinted glasses.

My mother was born on isle of dogs near the docks, my grandfather was a docker. They moved out to the suburbs (which were then Hackney), when different communities started to move in. They complained of cultural vandalism. Interestingly when i took my mum back recently she thought all the new developments were fantastic, and way better than in the years she was bought up in.

Its a shame someone on the equivalent of your families wage cant live there anymore.

I am sure its lovely to see million pound one bedroom flats because they are all clean and tidy and new, shame no working class person can own one, like they could in your mothers day.

Tories often forget that when they see the glamour of development.

Yes, years ago. Was it Brent btw?
Maybe two or three years ago. Appologies as I can't remember, or find related reports online.
Resistance and campaigning does work. Not always, but giving up plays into the hands of the cleansers.
So does short term thinking.

Last edited:
Its a shame someone on the equivalent of your families wage cant live there anymore.

I am sure its lovely to see million pound one bedroom flats because they are all clean and tidy and new, shame no working class person can own one, like they could in your mothers day.

Those were the days eh - when you could live near central London in an absolute shit heap and get paid a pittance for a job in a badly lit and unventilated factory or down the docks that would effectively cripple you and reduce your life expectancy to the high 50s (if you were lucky) ....

Still, if you were very fortunate you could always get a cuppa in a Lyons on your monthly day off and stroll around a park chirping the latest Cockney ditty.

Those were the days eh - when you could live near central London in an absolute shit heap and get paid a pittance for a job in a badly lit and unventilated factory or down the docks that would effectively cripple you and reduce your life expectancy to the high 50s (if you were lucky) ....

Still, if you were very fortunate you could always get a cuppa in a Lyons on your monthly day off and stroll around a park chirping the latest Cockney ditty.

I think comparing social conditions is rather futile, and rather crude.

While we may have a higher (better?) standard of living now, poverty is probably equally if not worse in some areas.

So yes, one may not be breaking their backs in a factory, but they are getting paid tuppence a parcel running round like a mad person delivering boxes with zero job security, no holidays etc and priced out of their home town considerably with zero chance of any social housing and even less of a chance of owning their own home.

So yeah great, they may get to do that beyond fifty, high five.

So it may be nice for Grandma to see all the nice shiny flats and remember her tougher life, but world conditions where entirely different in her time. If you told Grandma she would be moved away from all her friends and family and her job and the entire community she had grown up and developed a life with so some foreign investor could buy her home, Grandma would have a different opinion of the shiny flats.

It would have been nice for those areas to see improvements for the people that lived there, rather than moving them out for newer, 'higher class' (wealthier) folk. Which is my entire point. Gentrification, on a whole, is toxic.

Here you go - back in the days of social nirvana:

(a better copy is available at the BFI - you will need to create an account)

advertisement

Back