advertisement

RIP Denmark St

If only there was some way of improving the quality of housing without the social cleansing.

Oh - you mean like knocking down the jerry built slums and putting up idyllic blocks of flats with modern plumbing ...

... and lifts that rarely functioned ... and concrete that gave rise to chronic damp .. and that were in some cases grouped so close together that they literally blew down...

Yup - things just got better and better, even more so when all the factory jobs got 'outsourced', the docks shut down and gainful employment just vaporised almost overnight.

'You've never had it so good" the nice man said.

Oh - you mean like knocking down the jerry built slums and putting up idyllic blocks of flats with modern plumbing ...

... and lifts that rarely functioned ... and concrete that gave rise to chronic damp .. and that were in some cases grouped so close together that they literally blew down...

Yup - things just got better and better, even more so when all the factory jobs got 'outsourced', the docks shut down and gainful employment just vaporised almost overnight.

Nul points for comprehension. I mean improve the quality of the housing without the social cleansing.

I know - it's a crazy idea!

No, this is all good. We can eliminate poverty by making it unaffordable to be poor.

I don't have any interest in getting too embroiled in this - just to observe that the choice shouldn't be between slums or badly conceived and built tower blocks or 'luxury' private flats that require the removal of the existing community.

It is possible to build good social housing.

To give a couple of examples, here's a recent scheme in Norwich: https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...cture-goldsmith-street-norwich-council-houses

In neighbouring Lewisham there are two estates of self-built Segal houses from the 1970 - fantastic places to live: https://www.themodernhouse.com/journal/architect-walter-segal-self-build/

But it does require local and central government to have a bit of vision and to put the wellbeing of communities before the profits of developers.

It is possible to build good social housing.

Yes, and No

But it does require local and central government to have a bit of vision and to put the wellbeing of communities before the profits of developers.

...given that the currently residing party in power (with the compliance of many local councils) played a significant role in knocking seven shades of shite out of some of the most successful social housing projects from the 20th century, I have my doubts that the vision for the future they have in mind has even a remote trace of a connection with what you have in mind.

The main driving forces of the past are also no longer sufficiently present to help the cause - i.e. fear of disease (19C reform) fear of revolution (20C reform)

However, given the current housing crisis and the alarming rate of decay imposed on the NHS by the incumbents (and previous mobsters) the primitive anxiety that scared the bejesus out the Victorians may yet come to haunt us :(

Last edited:

advertisement

Back