advertisement

RFI : how does it affect mains circuitry of hifi equipment?

JohnW - thank you for providing some sanity.

& "Hardness" is exactly the effect it has.

+1 JohnW seems to me to have made some very sensible suggestions and observations. Arkless has contributed also with his long experiences in the industry and maybe inadvertently but maybe because he just honestly posts what he has experienced which is nice to see.

Hardness/sharpness is exactly how I would describe the sound prior to implementing power supply improvements on a PC transport. Separating out the power to the various components imho has yielded positives.
Some people I know have gone to greater lengths using copper/aluminium and tons of the emi stuff linked below. Battery supplies is another example. I have my transformer for pc supply in a stainless steel pot again with the hope/belief etc it will help. Happily admit the stainless steel look with the 3 rails in one steel pot looks nice also and as it didn't cost the earth extra went for that.

Ragaman if you are really interested in exploring the various options to reduce rfi a thread on a forum like this will only get you so far. You have done well as it has been fun looking at some of the replies. Would respectively suggest looking elsewhere if you want to reduce the rfi induced here.

For what it is worth with my limited electrical knowledge the suggestions from JohnW and Steven are probably the best bang for buck. Shielding,twisted/woven cables maybe silver plated etc etc if mains cables work as suggested will give you 90%. Are these expensive cables bringing that extra 10% who knows. The easiest wagon to jump on is the 'its all snake oil' just use a freebie.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...QJgs_RQZCB6K8LX_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv)&rt=d

Simple internal shielding of sensitive components is completely standard on any competent
design , should be a non issue.
Keith.

I agree with Keith.
Good sensible design means you needn't worry about mains RFI.
I have 14 amplifiers here at the moment, all mainstream stuff and nothing quirky.
Nothing has an RFI issue.

I agree with Keith.
Good sensible design means you needn't worry about mains RFI.
I have 14 amplifiers here at the moment, all mainstream stuff and nothing quirky.
Nothing has an RFI issue.

in my humble opinion ?

love how these suppliers know whats best for their customers.

and would you say his business turnover is larger or smaller after the decision ? No such thing as bad publicity.

I honestly don't know how sales are for the fellow. But the premise of this thread was science, and marketing isn't science, even when it uses big words.

As for the validity of the latter oft-repeated marketing myth, I defer to experts on the matter – BP, Tiger Woods, Gary Glitter, OJ Simpson, and on and on.

in my humble opinion ?

love how these suppliers know whats best for their customers.

What does 'good sensible design' and 'Simple internal shielding of sensitive components is completely standard on any competent
design , should be a non issue' mean? No detail explanation just a vague statement.

When you look at the level of detail from Arkless and JohnW even if one disputed their claims you can at least see they have put a lot of thought and effort into this.

Great stuff though keep it up. Some of the other warblings above it just comes across as RFI to me. Can't make head nor tail of it:)

I honestly don't know how sales are for the fellow. But the premise of this thread was science, and marketing isn't science, even when it uses big words.

As for the validity of the latter oft-repeated marketing myth, I defer to experts on the matter – BP, Tiger Woods, Gary Glitter, OJ Simpson, and on and on.

I don't buy BP petrol because it's too expensive, though I do buy waitrose petrol which I understand is the same thing.
I never bought Tiger Woods merchandise, I have seen him live at Carnoustie and respect him for what he's done for golf.
Never bought any Gary Glitter stuff.
Never bought any OJ Simpson stuff.
Any other examples ?

Russ Andrews can make ice cream through thought alone.

I bought my mains cables from Trichord research and my interconnects from the Missing Link, what are your views on the moral standing of those companies ? I'm concerned it might affect the sound quality.

+1 JohnW seems to me to have made some very sensible suggestions and observations. Arkless has contributed also with his long experiences in the industry and maybe inadvertently but maybe because he just honestly posts what he has experienced which is nice to see.

Hardness/sharpness is exactly how I would describe the sound prior to implementing power supply improvements on a PC transport. Separating out the power to the various components imho has yielded positives.
Some people I know have gone to greater lengths using copper/aluminium and tons of the emi stuff linked below. Battery supplies is another example. I have my transformer for pc supply in a stainless steel pot again with the hope/belief etc it will help. Happily admit the stainless steel look with the 3 rails in one steel pot looks nice also and as it didn't cost the earth extra went for that.

Ragaman if you are really interested in exploring the various options to reduce rfi a thread on a forum like this will only get you so far. You have done well as it has been fun looking at some of the replies. Would respectively suggest looking elsewhere if you want to reduce the rfi induced here.

For what it is worth with my limited electrical knowledge the suggestions from JohnW and Steven are probably the best bang for buck. Shielding,twisted/woven cables maybe silver plated etc etc if mains cables work as suggested will give you 90%. Are these expensive cables bringing that extra 10% who knows. The easiest wagon to jump on is the 'its all snake oil' just use a freebie.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...QJgs_RQZCB6K8LX_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv)&rt=d

can't believe we can't measure the hardness and sharpness that people dislike so much.

I don't buy BP petrol because it's too expensive, though I do buy waitrose petrol which I understand is the same thing.
I never bought Tiger Woods merchandise, I have seen him live at Carnoustie and respect him for what he's done for golf.
Never bought any Gary Glitter stuff.
Never bought any OJ Simpson stuff.
Any other examples ?

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.

Is your contention that none of these entities suffered in any way whatsoever from the negative publicity they received?

. "That's why we use it when design marine cables that have to be immune to
RADAR- the RADAR energy simply disappears leaving on trace.".

RADAR does not work underwater, that's why they use sonar for detecting submarines.

can't believe we can't measure the hardness and sharpness that people dislike so much.

Ears? Especially if they are competently and sensibly designed there should be no problems. I believe Spocks might have been designed by Nordost back in the day.

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.

Is your contention that none of these entities suffered in any way whatsoever from the negative publicity they received?

that's how I would measure the effect, how do you substantiate your claims ?

It's a very british thing to criticise successful businesses, not that harping on about morals here is going to make any difference.

If people are interested I'll do a post on "reference" section with full instructions and part numbers for removing RFI... (I may need a moderator to access that?)... but please folks.. read up on electronics before talking bollocks about it... and I mean that in the nicest possible way:)

that's how I would measure the effect, how do you substantiate your claims ?
What are my claims, exactly?

That the premise of the thread was science? Please see (, read, and understand) the OP.

That marketing isn't science? The proof you seek lies in a dictionary. Purchase one immediately.

That there is actually such a thing as bad publicity? Simply ask anyone who (1) was the subject of bad publicity, and (2)... well, actually the first one should be sufficient, if the person you ask is an honest person. Barring that, I would encourage you to actually think about it, and by think, I mean do something besides repeat to yourself something that you heard somewhere. If there was no such thing as bad publicity, we wouldn't have a term to describe it, and all publicity - negative, positive, truth, lies, slander, libel - would be universally welcomed.

That the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'? Substantiating that is an easy exercise, one that I shall leave to the reader.

It's a very british thing to criticise successful businesses, not that harping on about morals here is going to make any difference.
Are you British? I'm certain I'm not.

What are my claims, exactly?

That the premise of the thread was science? Please see (, read, and understand) the OP.

That marketing isn't science? The proof you seek lies in a dictionary. Purchase one immediately.

That there is actually such a thing as bad publicity? Simply ask anyone who (1) was the subject of bad publicity, and (2)... well, actually the first one should be sufficient, if the person you ask is an honest person. Barring that, I would encourage you to actually think about it, and by think, I mean do something besides repeat to yourself something that you heard somewhere. If there was no such thing as bad publicity, we wouldn't have a term to describe it, and all publicity - negative, positive, truth, lies, slander, libel - would be universally welcomed.

That the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'? Substantiating that is an easy exercise, one that I shall leave to the reader.

Are you British? I'm certain I'm not.

what a lot of noise

Don't manufacturers just include kettle leads because they expect the customer to change them for something better. Wonder if Arkless could provide some examples of manufacturers saving money on their products.

I rather doubt it! Apart from a few extremists on hifi forums I can't imagine anybody buying a piece of equipment expecting to have to change the mains lead because it isn't up to the job.
What a quaint idea.

advertisement

Back