advertisement

Revisiting Jim Rogers JR149s

I can appreciate their industrial chic, but my wife really dislikes the look of them - I've been thing of transferring the bits over to a LS3/5A cabinet (made in Moldova).

I know they'll fit into domestic life a lot better that way, I've probably sent some of you into an apoplectic reaction ;-)

Not apoplectic over here - but are you sure they cannot be refreshed ? I had an architect friend and his very design conscious wife over for dinner last week. Over the years he has tried many classic and modern systems - inc a refurb A60 amp I gave him. They looked at the JR149 and were envious. Once I turned on the Quad amp - they were amazed by the sound quality too. Now he asking where to get a pair.

Try stripping the wood and use tung oil for sealer. New foams can be ordered from a couple of places.

Happy listening and looking in this case - J

If the alloy bases that cover the crossovers are in serviceable condition 149s can be refurbished pretty much to mint condition with new wooden disks top and bottom and new foam grilles. It can apparently be a bit of a challenge getting the tops and bottoms off, but it is certainly possible as I’ve seen examples rebuilt with solid wood that look very nice indeed. When in tidy condition I think they are one of the nicest looking speakers ever, up there with Quads ESLs, Gale 401s etc, real design classics.

+1. In terms of aesthetics, a JR149 with ribbed foam grille attached is, I reckon, the most timelessly elegant loudspeaker ever designed. Ribbed foams are an absolute must though to complete the look, flat foam just doesn't make the same visual impact.

Aesthetically the ridges in the foam is hardly visible in many lights. The American ridged foam that you can buy from eBay has strange optical properties, when light hits it from a certain angle it glitters.

36660877264_d8efdd0120_b.jpg

Assuming the Americans ones on eBay are from the company I used (I suspect they are and that they are using my measurements) the foam has a coloured layer that I assume is sprayed on the surface somehow. From what I can work out the foam itself is dark grey and whatever colour you specify is added (black in my case). There is also apparently a UV protection so they hopefully shouldn’t turn to dust the way the originals did. It doesn’t appear to have any adverse audio effect. I have two sets just in case though, one pair sealed in a box! They do catch the light in quite a cool way, though I think my original pair and Isobariks did the same thing, so maybe just a foam grille ‘thing’.

PS I wonder what they’d look like in a colour, e.g. JBL orange or blue?!

Mine were from a proper speaker foam company website in the US, I can’t remember the name, but it is certainly linked to upthread somewhere. They do a lot of custom foams for ‘70s JBLs etc.

Make sure that you get an open cell foam, not the airtight upholstery type.
Aquarium filters are a good general purpose source

I've missed all these updates - I'd forgot about the crossover differences. It'd make more sense to refurbish the JR149.
The aluminium cylinder is fine. The wooden top and grille needs attention. The bottom is scratched up, but is serving its function fine.

Tony your JR149 look lovely.

I'll keep the JR149 as a JR149. Now to see if I can source the grilles.

I’ve just bought some little friends for my JR149s:

48979482338_30a2090d08_b.jpg

A pretty much NOS pair of Spendor S3/5R that popped up in the pfm classifieds after Matt J’s three-way shoot-out with Celef LS8s and ProAc Tab 10s. The price was great, condition absolutely as-new, so why not? Everyone should have more than one pair of mini-monitors!

I’ve always been curious to contrast and compare the JR149s to a well regarded modern mini-monitor and the 3/5Rs have a very good reputation and from what I had read were voiced to my taste (soft-dome tweeter, sealed box, ‘classical/acoustic’ balance etc). I was surprised by just how small the Spendors are, they are a good bit shorter than the 149, though do have a slightly larger bass unit (130mm vs. 110). The cabinet size is likely very significant as the 149s are very thin wall so as well as being physically bigger will hold more air volume for their size too.

Initial impressions: The Spendors seem less efficient despite a claimed 84db (I’d always thought the 149s were 83-84db), certainly by 2 or 3db. My Audio Synthesis stepped-attenuator passive has steps graduated at 1db over the range in use here and I was needing to crank it a couple of clicks to get a similar level on my sound meter / sound as loud. The JR149s sound very noticeably bigger, more dynamic too, they just have way more smack to drums, kick to bass guitar etc. Bass-wise the 149s dig down deeper, but are drier. Very noticeable on on say Donald Fagen’s Morph The Cat where the 149s do things they simply have no right to do. My suspicion is the amp is a factor here and this picture may change with a good bit more power.

The S3/5s really start to compete on classical, the string sound is just beautiful, really superb. I’ve always felt that, whilst largely mitigated by the crossover, the JR149s have just a hint of the notorious Bextrene ‘quack’. If one were to draw a chart with say a Quad ESL (absolutely no ‘quack’ at all) at the ‘0’ end and say a Kan I (no attempt whatsoever at attenuating it) at the ‘10’ end then the 149 would likely score a ‘1.5’, maybe even a ‘2’ on a particularly bad day. It is hardly ever noticeable, but just occasionally a CD will come up that makes strings just a tiny bit prominent, gives just a slight hard edge to voice, but it really is a minor issue that listeners are unlikely to notice unless they are actively looking for it. The Spendors have absolutely no hint of it. I suspect these little Spendors and say a Quad 909 or better could be all the classical system anyone could want. They are certainly very good.

My intention here was never to unseat the 149s, I will own and enjoy them for the rest of my life. This is purely a mix of curiosity, research, opportunity, and enjoying the fact little speakers are so easy to switch over why wouldn’t one have a couple of flavours available?! It is always fascinating to assess vintage classics against more current products.

PS Caveat: This is my initial impression driven with my Leak Stereo 20. I will revisit this comparison at length sometime next year using one of the new Onix OA21 Icons and hopefully a SOAP PSU. As such this is what I hear with both speakers driven with a truly superb little 10 Watt valve amp, the JR149s on the 16 Ohm tap, the Spendors on the 8 Ohm, as spec-wise that makes the most sense. This little amp may well not be up to driving the Spendors properly, so my description of a lack of dynamics and scale compared to the 149s may not be entirely fair. 149s, like LS3/5As, are very easy to drive despite their inefficiency, it is one reason for their ongoing popularity. Caveat 2: the little Spendors really are very close to NOS, so may not even have broken in yet! They may well relax after a good few months use, as most speakers seem to. I also used different speaker cables; Chord Rumour 2 on the JR149s (it is the right size to pass through the grommet on the 149s base and is connected directly to the crossover) and Van Damme Blue 4mm on the Spendors as I have a nice terminated spare set, both are about 4 metres in length.

One thing I noticed from the Spendor’s spec sheet is that the crossover frequency is a very high 5.5kHz. That may go a long way to explaining why they sound so smooth and seamless on voice, strings etc as that pushes any crossover issues right up where they would be in a typical three-way. I’m not exactly sure where the JR149 crosses over, but it has to be a few kHz lower, likely 2.5-3kHz. The JR’s crossover is superb though, Jim Rogers really knew what he was doing, but even so getting it out of the vocal range entirely is always a wise move if possible, as it clearly is with more modern driver technology.

I Spent more time with the Spendors last night and they really are very nice. My only criticisms are the aforementioned comparative lack of dynamics and scale, plus a slightly emphasised upper-bass. In the context of this particular system the 149s win, but both are lovely speakers. I will certainly be keeping the Spendors.

PS I found a very useful site yesterday here which can convert AC volts into Watts, so I used my multimeter (a Fluke 87V) which has a latching min/max function and a nice fast (250μs) response time to measure the AC Volts going from the Leak into the Spendors, and assuming a nominal 8 Ohms it appears I’m not actually throwing more than 1.6 Watts at them at the levels I listen at. As I use a low power amp and inefficient mini-monitors I’ve always been concerned about clipping etc and this is another way to calculate along with my db meter and expected sensitivity figures etc. It appears I am using less of the Leak than I feared, which is a very good thing!

Another day, more things learnt. First off I do not trust Spendor’s stated 84db efficiency! The (very favourable) Stereophile reviews of both the S3/5se and S3/5R2 found both to actually be about 81.5db rather than the stated 84/85db, and I’d bet the S3/5R was just the same (sadly they did not review this model). As such, and now I’ve realised I have far more of my Stereo 20 in reserve than I thought, I played them rather louder tonight. At an average level of 78-80db or so they really open up and sound great.

In light of this I think I’ve been a little unfair to them above on the dynamic front as I was almost certainly just listening a lot quieter than usual (it is very hard to get an accurate sound meter reading without using test tones, which is especially dangerous with little speakers, so I don’t do it and just try to figure out a rough average/peak). Anyway, they really are excellent little speakers, I could very happily live with them. The Donald Fagen album gained the weight and kick I expect from it and I also played a good chunk of Bill Evans Complete Village Vanguard and that sounded just as wonderful as it should. Over the next few days I’ll measure them with REW and then stick the 149s back for a direct contrast and compare.

PS I’m actually very interested to see if I can establish the difference in efficiency with REW, the thing that confuses me is the 149s are best on the Leak’s 16 Ohm tap, and I’ve been using the 8 Ohm tap with the Spendors, and I’ve no idea how that effects things. The volume knob of the Audio Synthesis passive is certainly a good 3-4.5db higher than I’d use with the 149s for similar level/impact. The attenuator steps are 1.5db and I’m two or three positions higher depending on the CD.

Another day, more things learnt. First off I do not trust Spendor’s stated 84db efficiency! The (very favourable) Stereophile reviews of both the S3/5se and S3/5R2 found both to actually be about 81.5db rather than the stated 84/85db, and I’d bet the S3/5R was just the same (sadly they did not review this model). As such, and now I’ve realised I have far more of my Stereo 20 in reserve than I thought, I played them rather louder tonight. At an average level of 78-80db or so they really open up and sound great.

In light of this I think I’ve been a little unfair to them above on the dynamic front as I was almost certainly just listening a lot quieter than usual (it is very hard to get an accurate sound meter reading without using test tones, which is especially dangerous with little speakers, so I don’t do it and just try to figure out an average/peak). Anyway, they really are excellent little speakers, I could very happily live with them. The Donald Fagen album gained the weight and kick I expect from it and I also played a good chunk of Bill Evans Complete Village Vanguard and that sounded just as wonderful as it should. Over the next few days I’ll measure them with REW and then stick the 149s back for a direct contrast and compare.

PS I’m actually very interested to see if I can establish the difference in efficiency with REW, the thing that confuses me is the 149s are best on the Leak’s 16 Ohm tap, and I’ve been using the 8 Ohm tap with the Spendors, and I’ve no idea how that effects things. The volume knob of the Audio Synthesis passive is certainly a good 3-4.5db higher than I’d use with the 149s for similar level/impact. The attenuator steps are 1.5db and I’m two or three positions higher depending on the CD.
I use Periodic Pink Noise in REW and a RadioShack SPL meter for level matching. If your concerned about causing damage then you can raise the lower frequency cutoff point from 10Hz to say 50Hz or even 100Hz, but TBH I don't think there's any risk if you keep the levels sensible (e.g. 75dB). Pink Noise is gentler on tweeters than sine tones or white noise as it rolls off with each increasing octave. Raising the lower frequency cutoff level is also a good idea if you are comparing the sensitivity of two speakers with different LF extensions, as the speaker with higher bass output will likely contribute to a higher sensitivity reading, so best to 'level the playing field' by setting a higher LF cutoff point.

In light of this I think I’ve been a little unfair to them above on the dynamic front as I was almost certainly just listening a lot quieter than usual (it is very hard to get an accurate sound meter reading without using test tones, which is especially dangerous with little speakers, so I don’t do it and just try to figure out a rough average/peak). Anyway, they really are excellent little speakers, I could very happily live with them. The Donald Fagen album gained the weight and kick I expect from it and I also played a good chunk of Bill Evans Complete Village Vanguard and that sounded just as wonderful as it should. Over the next few days I’ll measure them with REW and then stick the 149s back for a direct contrast and compare.

I did have a little concern when you said you were going to use them with the Leak. They are quite inefficient (through the R2 is certainly louder for the same input) and I didn’t get satisfactory results even with a beefy 4x el34 pc based power amp which is fine into WB Discoveries! It was only going to much bigger class D amps that they really burst out of their enclosures. Timbrally they're unbeatable even if they sound undemonstrative to some ears at first. Well worth experimenting with on the amp front. Do not sell them , you’ll regret it later on.

I will be experimenting amp-wise over time, though that Leak never ceases to amaze me since it has been fully restored. It just sounds bigger, more three-dimensional, more dynamic and powerful than any solid state amp I’ve managed to put it up against so far, which admittedly isn’t many (Quad 303, 306 and a non-restored late Onix OA21). It just doesn’t behave like a 10 Watt amp at all, and once I wicked it up a bit earlier the Spendors opened up nicely. I have a new Onix OA21 Icon on order plus hopefully a Soap, which should make for a decent system in its own right, certainly a fair bit more current delivery, so that will be intetesting. I’ll definitely be holding on to the S3/5Rs, they are superb little speakers (as are the JR149s). So small and easy to store as an alternative I really can’t see a reason not to have a bit of choice! To be honest I’d actually rather like a pair of LS3/5As too (and a pair of ESLs, but they are so much harder to store!).

A 4.2 kHz crossover according to the Stereophile review and you need the grille on to avoid a slightly hot treble
They are almost 16 Ohm speakers

A 4.2 kHz crossover according to the Stereophile review and you need the grille on to avoid a slightly hot treble
They are almost 16 Ohm speakers

Sadly Stereophile haven’t reviewed this particular variant, they have done the S3/5SE and S3/5R2, mine are the S3/5R that existed in a timeframe in between those models. I have the Spendor manual/spec sheet in front of me and it states these crossover at 5.5kHz, 8 Ohm, and 84db/1 Watt. By saying that I don’t believe the 84db/1 Watt! It is also worth noting that the SE, R, and R2, despite looking very similar to one another actually share no drivers at all! Each one has a different bass unit and tweeter as far as I’m aware.

advertisement

Back