advertisement

Revisiting Jim Rogers JR149s

The Falcon capacitor kits are currently unavailable, any suggestions for good alternatives? A quick search has turned up nothing. Will be needing a set myself soon.

I’d just go as like-for-like as you can, nice quality bipolar axial electrolytic caps of the same values. There is a schematic upthread somewhere with the values.

HiHiCollective seem to have AlCaps, which are what Falcon supplied and are what are in my pair.

I can’t remember the values of the top of my head so I don’t know if they have all of them.

The Falcon capacitor kits are currently unavailable, any suggestions for good alternatives? A quick search has turned up nothing. Will be needing a set myself soon.
once you know the values of them you have hifi collective,willys hifi,wilmslow audio should have something
Tolerances were a lot wider so a modern equivalent may not be the exact value.
Some people piggy back the additional value or alternatively look at the original variance value.
This may be say 5% rather than 10% and from esr measurments etc they are super tight...
Used dayton 1% in a klipsch heresy restoration and they measured bob on.
Clarity px caps from hifi collective were good also...
Then the choice of electrolytic or mkp as Tony has highlighted. Or maybe invest in a peak esr meter and lift a leg on the caps and test them etc ....

FWIW I didn’t like the film caps I tried in mine and went back to electrolytics. Obviously not all film caps are the same, but I felt they lost the warmth and coherence and became too analytical and cold. Very clear and open, but I just didn’t enjoy listening to them as much. It is all covered in great detail earlier in the thread.
Interesting a few people have said this also.
Certainly when i recapped my dahlquiest dq10 with clarity px, i initially thought they were a bit much.
Is it now that they have burnt in or is it my ears have acclimatized as to why they have settled, who knows....
I had no reference point, as i measured all the electrolytics and they were out...
Like to keep stuff as is if, it measures ok,the additional crossover box way or playing about could be endless,but understand in this hobby why we all explore different avenues...... :)

There are theory's that the esr and looser tolerance values etc are taken into account when they design the crossover.

Just had another quick search. Hifi Collective do the Alcaps in 2.2 & 3.3uF values. Can find one Ebay store selling 1.5uF bipolar axial electrolytic caps so may have it covered. Always a little wary of buying components on Ebay but occasionally there's very little choice.

TS

Just picked up a pair of JR149 cabinets & crossovers. In really nice condition, a couple of scratches to the bases but nothing serious. They appear to be complete including gaskets & all screws & fixings.

They are the transitional versions, cabinets with the foam diffraction & fuseless crossovers.

Just need to find some B110s & T27s now. Obvious answer (& long term plan) is Falcon units, got refill my wallet before that can happen!

TS
Just to update. I bought some Kef Constructor series B110s & T27s off Retrotech Audio a couple of weeks ago. Finished fitting them yesterday, recapped the crossovers & fitted some Van Damme speaker cable.

Bar type foam currently unavailable anywhere so had to make do with some precut flat foam from BK. Fits perfectly & much cheaper than the bar type which makes me feel [a little] better about not having the correct look.

Didn't have much time to listen to them yesterday but giving them a good workout today.

I know buying secondhand drive units of unknown provenance is a risk but in this case it appears to have paid off, they sound well balanced left to right with the vocal perfectly centred.

I was a little surprised how much bass they produced from the off. I was fully expecting them to sound a bit thin until they had a few hours on them to loosen up.

Been playing some 70's vinyl through them (Supertramp, Allman Bros, Floyd) which seems appropriate.

TS

advertisement

Back