advertisement

Resonessence Labs INVICTA - move over Weiss DAC202U, theres a new king in town!

But, hold on, if you say it's faulty then you don't want to use it, even for an experiment, do you? It will prove nothing as the "not fit for purpose" mantra will apply. However, go ahead if you want!

OK, used a Toshiba Tecra M9 with the old SMPS. Both bricks have the same spec. The earthed brick was used along with the laptops own.... I couldn't hear a peep. Total silence the DAC could've been switched off and I'd have not known any difference.

OK, used a Toshiba Tecra M9 with the old SMPS. Both bricks have the same spec. The earthed brick was used along with the laptops own.... I couldn't hear a peep. Total silence the DAC could've been switched off and I'd have not known.

Cool. sounds like the Invicta has good noise immunity. Did you play any music to hear any difference between the two? Sometimes there is no noise when not playing but a veil over the sound when playing - a shrunken sound stage & other effects!

I can barely hear any noise with my Toshiba brick unless I put my ear to the speaker but I notice it when playing music

Are you saying that the laptop psu was making audible noise through the dac?

That really is unfit for purpose.

Personally I'd just go with optical and you don't have any of these problems.
I've never understood the desire for usb.

Cool. sounds like the Invicta has good noise immunity. Did you play any music to hear any difference between the two? Sometimes there is no noise when not playing but a veil over the sound when playing - a shrunken sound stage & other effects!

Played a very short bit of music, didn't want to use the SMPS for too long as i really don't want to fry another laptop too soon!! But it sounded absolutely fine.

Are you saying that the laptop psu was making audible noise through the dac?

That really is unfit for purpose.

Personally I'd just go with optical and you don't have any of these problems.
I've never understood the desire for usb.

Yes! it was with the Zodiac Gold/Voltikus ..... It also makes an audible noise of its own, but with the INVICTA the noise doesn't come through the system.

Ah I see.

From the spec, I'd say the INVICTA was just about perfect and cannot be improved.
It certainly shouldn't be troubled by transport issues unless they are gross.

I heard a really nice Weiss at KeithLs the other day too.
That should be equally immune.

I would say you're sorted for life with that dac, well at least until something radical happens to computer audio and that's years away.

Just thought I would spend a couple of days running the Invicta's headphone out against a Red Wine Corvina HPA fed through the Invicta's RCAs into Audeze LCD-3s. Anyone interested in my findings?

Not sure if anyone is actually interested in comparative experiences using the Invicta DAC and its headphone amplifier, but for anyone who is, I've posted them on the following link:-

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...n/experiences-resonessence-invicta-dac-14248/

I realise that this is a slightly old thread but I just wanted to let everyone interested know that the Resonessence Invicta DAC can now decode a DSD stream over the USB and the SDCard. :)

Regards

Phil

Very true. Had an email from Resonessence saying the offical firmware update will be released in the 14th Jan. I'm looking for content in the DSD format than i may actually like ATM!

Your enthusiasm is infectious CK - and very refreshing, I might add. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It so happens I'm thinking of adding a DAC to my system (Sugden Masterclass integrated, Spendor SP 1/2R, Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 and Cambridge Azur 851 cd player) and was looking at the new Benchmark DAC 2....

I think It'll work rather well with Sugden, the INVICTA is also Class A in all its output stages.
Not sure I'd mix the BMM DAC2-HGC into such a system as its PSU is a switcher!

The INVICTA has a really good preamp section so in theory you could swap out the Integrated for a Sugden Masterclass power or even mono amps! I take it your current amp has the ability to separate the pre and power sections?

I think It'll work rather well with Sugden, the INVICTA is also Class A in all its output stages.
Not sure I'd mix the BMM DAC2-HGC into such a system as its PSU is a switcher!

The INVICTA has a really good preamp section so in theory you could swap out the Integrated for a Sugden Masterclass power or even mono amps! I take it your current amp has the ability to separate the pre and power sections?

Yes it has. Now you've really got me thinking....:confused::)

advertisement

Back