Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing oxidation from valve pins

Discussion in 'audio' started by ducatiman, Jun 20, 2013.

1. ducatiman

ducatiman pfm Member

Wondered what the General Consensus was, what do you use ?
    Should say I use a little IPA

2. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Cotton wool + meths or even screenwash.

3. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Servisol Switch & Contact Cleaner?

4. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

i used my wifes nail emery boards....

5. Kt77

Kt77 pfm Member

Even thou I'm in the states - I read about this one awhile back and ordered a can on eBay and found it actually works quite well.

6. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

If serious doesn't it remove not just oxidisation but some original surface causing the rate of reoxidisation to increase?

The right chemical removal agent makes most sense, inorganic rather than organic substance.

7. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

I based this on good old nos valves with brass or similar pins - not gold plated like the military spec cv types. Oh and small signal valves like ecc82/83 etc.

8. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

When I was serving my time we used a lump of plasticine impregnated with pumice or some such stuff. Plugging the valve into this stuff a couple of times made the pins nice and shiny. However once the pins had their first cleaning they then needed doing on a more regular basis.

9. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Put your finger on top of the valve when its in its socket and move it ouija style in a circle, them buy a transistor amp :D

Pete

10. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

If you try this with an 807 you won`t need the transistor amp....

11. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Pah

I used to disconnect the rubber covered top cap on PY500As while the TV was still on.

;-)

Pete

12. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Trade: Mark Grant Cables

13. TheMooN

TheMooN pfm Member

Should the pins prove to be heavily oxidized an initial going over with 0000 fine wire wool , fibreglass pen , etc, etc .

leave the valve sitting overnight in just enough Coke a Cola ( budget , branded , full-on or suger free it matters not) to cover the pins , wash off the pins with H2O (ideally de-ionized) .

A light application of Caig DeoxIT to finish .

14. Time Audio

Time Audio Trade: Time Audio

Coke - the real thing contains Phosphoric acid....probably what does the cleaning. However other brands are available :p

Interesting question this as often NOS toobs are badly corroded etc.....some interesting solutions here though.....

15. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

I am not a valve user so surmising only but if the valve pins are corroded what about the sockets they sit in?

16. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Valid point, in my experience back in the days when valves were the norm, dodgy sockets gave more trouble than dirty valve pins - especially the brown phenolic Mcmurdo types.

17. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

They don't generally get oxidised or anything as such due to the type of metal they are made from. Sometimes a quick clean can be in order though....

18. i_should_coco

i_should_coco I am weasel

Generally a fibreglass pencil does the trick.

19. Time Audio

Like ones for PCBs?

20. Time Audio

Think it depends on era and where manufactured.