advertisement

Removing oxidation from valve pins

i used my wifes nail emery boards....

If serious doesn't it remove not just oxidisation but some original surface causing the rate of reoxidisation to increase?

The right chemical removal agent makes most sense, inorganic rather than organic substance.

I based this on good old nos valves with brass or similar pins - not gold plated like the military spec cv types. Oh and small signal valves like ecc82/83 etc.

When I was serving my time we used a lump of plasticine impregnated with pumice or some such stuff. Plugging the valve into this stuff a couple of times made the pins nice and shiny. However once the pins had their first cleaning they then needed doing on a more regular basis.

Put your finger on top of the valve when its in its socket and move it ouija style in a circle, them buy a transistor amp :D

Pete

Pah

I used to disconnect the rubber covered top cap on PY500As while the TV was still on.

;-)

Pete

Should the pins prove to be heavily oxidized an initial going over with 0000 fine wire wool , fibreglass pen , etc, etc .

leave the valve sitting overnight in just enough Coke a Cola ( budget , branded , full-on or suger free it matters not) to cover the pins , wash off the pins with H2O (ideally de-ionized) .

A light application of Caig DeoxIT to finish .

Should the pins prove to be heavily oxidized an initial going over with 0000 fine wire wool , fibreglass pen , etc, etc .

leave the valve sitting overnight in just enough Coke a Cola ( budget , branded , full-on or suger free it matters not) to cover the pins , wash off the pins with H2O (ideally de-ionized) .

A light application of Caig DeoxIT to finish .

Coke - the real thing contains Phosphoric acid....probably what does the cleaning. However other brands are available :p

Interesting question this as often NOS toobs are badly corroded etc.....some interesting solutions here though.....

I am not a valve user so surmising only but if the valve pins are corroded what about the sockets they sit in?

I am not a valve user so surmising only but if the valve pins are corroded what about the sockets they sit in?
Valid point, in my experience back in the days when valves were the norm, dodgy sockets gave more trouble than dirty valve pins - especially the brown phenolic Mcmurdo types.

They don't generally get oxidised or anything as such due to the type of metal they are made from. Sometimes a quick clean can be in order though....

advertisement

Back