advertisement

Remembering multiple passwords

I dont think there is any substitute for writing them down somewhere secure. I memorise the really important stuff but I cant remember everything on every site.

I use a cycle warehouse very occasionally and Ive forgotton the password again. I know part of it but not how Ive made it more complex with numbers etc.

Im getting forgetful in my middle age and remembering many passwords is becoming a pain.

I have a couple hidden on my computer in documents nobody would search from the title. I think Im going to do more of that.

With my bank I have memorised the important log in stuff but my customer number often has to be copied and pasted from a secret source. That number is not enough on its own so its all about keeping enough security

I dont make it clear what the numbers or passwords relate to so they wouldnt be much use even if somone was to scan all 250 or so of my documents. The thing is I know where to go :)

I couldnt recommend any of that because you develop your own systems and take your own calculated risks

I'd suggest keeping all plain text passwords off your computer, regardless of the randomness of the files you chose to put them in.

A notepad (physical book) in your home is pretty secure.

Even more secure is a notebook with the key words stored either as something else, say a shopping list or a fictitious address, or a paperback with the relevant phrases. If you use the first line of Chapters 1, 2, and 3 of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with a couple of symbols tossed in then you are as secure as you need to be and as long as you have the book you'll be able to look it up. No bugger's looking in there. Not for nothing have books long been used to supply codes.

Steve, can't disagree, but 99.999999% of the security we're talking about is because the info is not on a computer. Burglars aren't looking for notebooks...

Minstrel SE - just to add - if you're hacked how long do you suppose it takes to scan 250+ files? Possibly a few nano seconds.

Steve, can't disagree, but 99.999999% of the security we're talking about is because the info is not on a computer. Burglars aren't looking for notebooks...

steve's notebook has a list of all the best call girls in paris and vegas.

vuk.

Minstrel SE - just to add - if you're hacked how long do you suppose it takes to scan 250+ files? Possibly a few nano seconds.
Anything that's better than the sod all most people do is 99.99% of the job done, let's be honest. We're only adding our own twists, largely for our own amusement and self aggrandisement.

I take those points. There are no key passwords written down and anything key is memorised. There are no direct pin numbers there

I cant memorise a customer number when I clear my cookies so some notes are handy.

All a bit over the top this isn't it. No one on here is Jimmy Bond.
Most computer crime is aimed at ordinary people. It's not just emptying your bank account, identity theft could cause you big problems with credit rating and even ending up on no fly lists, loan shark target etc

Most computer crime is aimed at ordinary people. It's not just emptying your bank account, identity theft could cause you big problems with credit rating and even ending up on no fly lists, loan shark target etc

I'd have thought that a very tiny fraction of eg identity theft is due to someone spending time trying to crack passwords; surely most is due to documents being intercepted in the mail, card cloning, or people being tricked into handing over their log on details to the bad guys.

advertisement

Back