advertisement

Rega turntable speed

High torque is great for getting up to speed, but once your platter is spinning it's surplus to requirements unless you have a high drag main spindle set up.

The reason the accepted torque kings, 1210 and sp10 have high torque is because ones a dj deck so needs it for scratching and the other's a broadcast deck and needs it for fast start up for sync.

Stylus drag in tiny.
Nope, stylus drag is not tiny! 3-motors and a light platter absolutely make sense as can be demonstrated easily when playing dynamic passages in comparison to a single motor TT. Voyd and Audio Note also are aware of this…

IMG-1338.jpg

High torque is preferred and can be achieved with a three motor arrangement, as I did when designing my turntable…😬
With the noise and vibrations of three motors.

Nope, stylus drag is not tiny! 3-motors and a light platter absolutely make sense as can be demonstrated easily when playing dynamic passages in comparison to a single motor

I’m sure torque, stylus drag etc is the core reason vintage idlers remain amongst the most sought-after turntables on the planet. In many cost no object systems you still find EMTs, 124s, 301s, 401s etc. People seek them out across the world with good reason IMO.

With the noise and vibrations of three motors.
If the motors are fed from a well designed PSU, you can adjust phase and amplitude as it is possible with my TT. Each motor spindle runs on a ruby ball thrust bearing…absolutely no motor noise to sense, even with a stethoscope on the aluminum foam plinth…😀

Single, decoupled ( physically detached) DC motor, heavy platter, significant viscous bearing drag from thick oil, and an optical tacho feedback psu.

Stylus drag is utterly swamped by bearing drag such that it's variance becomes utterly inconsequential. There's many ways to skin this cat.

advertisement

Back