advertisement

Rega turntable speed

It's quite easy to fix. You just work out the direction the hole wants to go and ream it out with a knife until it's right. Then you put a little pencil arrow next to the hole to tell you which way to push the record when you put in on the platter.

That's how I do it, works perfectly.

No, maybe you don't have the technological knowledge to understand the concept of inertia, and then, any further discussion is meaningless.

That's fairly insulting thing to say so someone you don't know but I suspect you'd just rather avoid explaining how your theoretical structure would work. I'm dying to hear how a single component can be both rotating and non-rotating at the same time?

<moderating>

I’ve renamed the thread as it read far too hostile to my eyes.

PS FWIW I consider Michael Fremer dropping a smartphone on a rotating platter to be all but irrelevant as a measurement. For example it bares no relationship to how a deck behaves under typical load/stylus drag. I’d never set a deck’s speed using a strobe unless it was playing a record.
How much of a speed difference have you experienced with and without a record playing. I’d imagine it fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

How much of a speed difference have you experienced with and without a record playing. I’d imagine it fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I haven’t got a figure on it to be honest, but as you say insignificant if discernible (my deck is high torque with a heavy platter). I set the speed with the strobe whilst a record is playing.

The most impressive deck I’ve seen in this regard is the 1200G, that thing is staggeringly high-torque and if you try to slow it the thing kicks back with even more torque. You could use it as a wood-turning lathe!

I haven’t got a figure on it to be honest, but as you say insignificant if discernible (my deck is high torque with a heavy platter). I set the speed with the strobe whilst a record is playing.

The most impressive deck I’ve seen in this regard is the 1200G, that thing is staggeringly high-torque and if you try to slow it the thing kicks back with even more torque. You could use it as a wood-turning lathe!
I did this experiment a week ago and posted this on another thread. The difference between 33.34 vs 33.32 can’t be a big deal for most mortals.

I just did some speed measurements with my In-Soled LP12 using my paid for calibrated version of the RPM iPhone app.
Here are some multiple measurements starting with one I took 6 months ago after installing the In-Soles. The deck hasn’t been touched since. The measurements taken today were all completed in 11 minutes.

Jan 2024 - 33.33 taken with the felt mat removed
Today - 33.33 taken with the felt mat removed

Today - 33.32 with felt mat playing a record
Today - 33.34 with felt mat and record not playing
Tried the same test and got the same results

Today - 33.34 final test taken with the felt mat removed after 11 minutes of testing.

I assume the 33.34 speed is a result of the warmup of the deck making it operate slightly faster. All in all not much to get excited about.

Quote Reply

I did this experiment a week ago and posted this on another thread. The difference between 33.34 vs 33.32 can’t be a big deal for most mortals.

I suspect the figure to study is wow and flutter, the overall speed will even out. I’m sure the things a lot of us hear between different decks is speed fluctuations; the way some decks sound absolutely rock solid, in tune and in time, and others sound a bit indistinct and ‘off’. I’d not put money on an iPhone being good enough to measure it though.

I suspect the figure to study is wow and flutter, the overall speed will even out. I’m sure the things a lot of us hear between different decks is speed fluctuations; the way some decks sound absolutely rock solid, in tune and in time, and others sound a bit indistinct and ‘off’. I’d not put money on an iPhone being good enough to measure it though.
I measured my deck while playing a record back in 2022 and got Wow (2-Sigma) +/- 0.06% and Wow (RMS) +/- 0.04%.

If you spring for the more costly version of the RPM apps it will calibrate with the accuracy of your gyroscope and remember an adjustment to improve the accuracy of the real time display.

I have to admit that I really don't get the origins of this thread - the OP seems all over the place.

At any rate, the difference between the Rega one-belts (2, 3, 6) and the two-belts (9, 8, 10; the Naia is a three-belt ofc) always seemed significant to me.

I'd be interested to see moulded sub vs machined sub, and then 1 or 2 belts on each type of sub platter.

Assuming there's some sort of variance over the length of a belt, despite the herculean efforts in precision rega go to in their moulding, running two should lower the peak speed error. Of course it's also entirely possible that you could perfectly align the belts so that the errors add up, rather than subtract.

Maybe an investigation into clocking belts?

There is a video somewhere of the Technics US sales rep filing his nails on the strobe markings.

Torture, puts my teeth on edge.

More belts will also put more tension on the bearings, think multiple elastic bands round your finger. Has to wear them quicker.
Not if you have a drive pulley at 0 and 180 degrees. About the only way of making a suspended platter design stable. On a rigid design like a Rega, a second belt is just adding noise.

Would the thickness/weight of the record also affect rotational speed? Wouldn't a thin record run faster than a 200g record?
I have to say that it's never been an issue for me, and in many ways I'm glad. I can just spend more time enjoying the music.

Not if you have a drive pulley at 0 and 180 degrees. About the only way of making a suspended platter design stable. On a rigid design like a Rega, a second belt is just adding noise.
Fremer: "Some readers think a plinth-mounted motor means noise. The Planar 10 I reviewed elsewhere used a new motor mount system developed from the Naiad that was claimed to be even more effective in reducing noise. Listening with a stethoscope to the Planar 10's top "skin" produced a very low-level rotation start up sound that, when the platter reached speed, was barely perceptible.

This wasn’t sufficiently satisfying for some in the peanut gallery commenting below the review (though outboard motors mounted on pods often produce more noise depending upon how well they are damped and upon what surface they are placed), so how about this? While it was difficult to find a NAIA surface upon which to place a stethoscope drum, when I finally did manage, there was no audible noise with the motor at speed and a ridiculously low amount upon start up."

More belts will also put more tension on the bearings, think multiple elastic bands round your finger. Has to wear them quicker.
No, it doesn't "has to" wear them quicker, if the motor/bearing is designed properly for the axial -and all other forces- applied upon it then it can last just as long as any other well built motor. What will wear quickly is a motor that is built using subpar materials and assembly techniques.

IMG-1338.jpg
High torque is preferred and can be achieved with a three motor arrangement, as I did when designing my turntable…😬

High torque is great for getting up to speed, but once your platter is spinning it's surplus to requirements unless you have a high drag main spindle set up.

The reason the accepted torque kings, 1210 and sp10 have high torque is because ones a dj deck so needs it for scratching and the other's a broadcast deck and needs it for fast start up for sync.

Stylus drag in tiny.

advertisement

Back