advertisement

Rega RP10 - experience?

Mark,

I'm tempted by many things, but a kid, mortgage, saving gorillas and cabbage for retirement help squelch the urge to covet thy dealer's RP10 turntable on permanent dem.

Maybe I should set a goal for myself -- If I don't have the Gararrd 301 I bought for peanuts fully serviced, running and in a nice plinth with spiffy tonearm by 2017 I should sell it and my original P9 to pay for an RP10.

Joe

I heard an RP8 with Apheta at a dealers compared with a Funk Firm LSD fitted with an Ortofon Cadenza Blue about 12 months ago. Interestingly, everyone in the shop preferred the LSD...........

I have always thought the P9/RB1000 was Rega's best deck by some distance but I have not heard the RP10 yet.

In the mid 80's acquired a LP12, eventually maxed it out by mid90's but got tired of the constant adjusting especially spring and fall...kinda like guitars behave but a lot more hassle. Sold the LP12 off and lived with a P2 for a number of years. When the new RP3 hit bought one and over time due to my dealers full trade in policy moved up the line RP6...RP8 to the RP10/Apheta1/Aria. My rig is Naim SN2/HCAPDR and the synergy between the two is fantastic. I tried it with the Rega Elicit and it's equally fantastic just a different presentation. I hear the Apheta2 is substantially improved over the A1. I'll be trying one out soon. The RP10 is expensive but worth the money IMO as it retrieves mass amounts from the grooves and is very musical. Love the frame and use mine bare without the outer plinth and dust cover. Makes a small footprint which I like and easy access. Demo one for your own ears but it's a most excellent piece of kit.

Thanks for the info. What rack do you use for your system and the Rega?

Mark,

I'm tempted by many things, but a kid, mortgage, saving gorillas and cabbage for retirement help squelch the urge to covet thy dealer's RP10 turntable on permanent dem.

Maybe I should set a goal for myself -- If I don't have the Gararrd 301 I bought for peanuts fully serviced, running and in a nice plinth with spiffy tonearm by 2017 I should sell it and my original P9 to pay for an RP10.

Joe

Yes, I understand - don't get the guerrillas confused with the cabbage though ;).

However, I reckon that if you do the 301 refurb thoroughly it will end up costing as much as upgrading to the RP10.

Mark,

Yeah, a 301 refurb, plinth and arm would likely cost about five to six thousand Canuck clams, but the word on the street is that this table has the sound I like.

Some time and many spare clams are all that stand between me and finding out.

Joe

is there a particular reason to go for a current production deck? the world doesn't end with linn, a well sorted xerxes with artemiz and PSU is as compact as anything and can sound marvelous for about a quarter of what RP10 retails...

Thanks for the info. What rack do you use for your system and the Rega?

Well, unfortunately not what it needs to be. Just IKEA but it's light and not bad at all. Of course compared to Fraim or the like probably sucks. I'm in the US so access to others in the UK aren't as easy. I did explore Audiophilebase as a direct purchase from the UK but didn't follow through with it.

M

Mark,

Yeah, a 301 refurb, plinth and arm would likely cost about five to six thousand Canuck clams, but the word on the street is that this table has the sound I like.

Some time and many spare clams are all that stand between me and finding out.

Joe

Joe,

I'd be more than happy to send a rip or two from my 301 - if you're happy to accept that a 48/16 digital file preserves its flavour.

I've just got a slate plinth (same as my granite one, but long story as to why I have the slate one too!), which I'm about to swap over. If you let me know what floats your boat I'll see what's in my collection to suit, and can get you rips of the 301/SME312/Troika (rebuilt) in either/both flavours of plinth.

Really happy to do so if it might help fill in any blanks for you, though would take a week or two. Should manage it before 2017.

is there a particular reason to go for a current production deck? the world doesn't end with linn, a well sorted xerxes with artemiz and PSU is as compact as anything and can sound marvelous for about a quarter of what RP10 retails...

Don't forget about a pink triangle - they are exceptionally neutral so don't embarrass themselves in good company . Having said that I personally wouldn't ignore the rega's as having heard a RP6 was quite impressed.

Don't forget about a pink triangle - they are exceptionally neutral so don't embarrass themselves in good company . Having said that I personally wouldn't ignore the rega's as having heard a RP6 was quite impressed.

Pink Triangle made some of the best sounding decks ever made. The Anniversary model is still hard to beat today. The Funk Firm decks carry on the lineage.

My nephew picked up a Pink Triangle LPT with Helius tonearm for a couple of hundred quid. After a service it was so good he promptly sold his Avid Diva II without hesitation. He could not believe how much better the little LPT sounded.

Ian,

Cheers, that would be spiffy. :)

My musical tastes are fairly broad so anything recorded, mastered and pressed well ought to do, but maybe I should aim for something I have on vinyl so I can compare. Did you get the Beatles mono box?

Joe

Pink Triangle do sound good. I had one for a short time with an Alphason HRS100. Unfortunately it fell apart as you looked at it.

Ian,

Cheers, that would be spiffy. :)

My musical tastes are fairly broad so anything recorded, mastered and pressed well ought to do, but maybe I should aim for something I have on vinyl so I can compare. Did you get the Beatles mono box?

Joe

Yup, which Fab Four would you like? I can pick a small selection of other random stuff if you like.

Ian,

Yup, which Fab Four would you like? I can pick a small selection of other random stuff if you like.
Cheers, that would be spiffy.

I bought the mono Beatles LP box set last year, and all of the records were pressed at the same plant so this comparison would be as close to playing the same record on different tables as I could hope for.

Any of the better recorded tracks would be great. It doesn't matter which songs, as I have the same box as you do so it's just a matter of queuing up the matching track at my end.

Joe

advertisement

Back