advertisement

Rega RP10 - experience?

Analog and digital means, with record playing.

Turntabulator is one, Platterspeed is the other (that reads a test tone). Always with record playing.

The power supply offers speed adjustment, rega advertises it on the website even, but no instructions for the end user.

Mine measures 0.6% fast

Analog and digital means, with record playing.

Turntabulator is one, Platterspeed is the other (that reads a test tone). Always with record playing.

The power supply offers speed adjustment, rega advertises it on the website even, but no instructions for the end user.

Mine measures 0.6% fast

Is that actually audible? Genuine question BTW.

FatElvisForever,

I think I am right in saying that we are working on a TT speed disc as all others we have tried have been inaccurate in some way, will find out and let you know.

PD

That would be interesting if both platterspeed (using test tones) and turntabulator (using the iphones gyroscope) are both reporting overstated speeds. Would love to see a speed disk from Rega.

Yes.
Spacers with all new Rega arm models,
older ones require some aftermarket adaptor to have a device via which you can screw them up or down.
So if the arm is from a Rega RP10 too, then spacers.

A friend has a RP10/Apheta with Aria and Brio-R. It's a jolly fine system, my only gripe being that it sounds a tad (too) clean for my tastes and compared to my own system (P9/Apheta with Nagra BPS and NAIT Two).

Regards, Willem

A friend has a RP10/Apheta with Aria and Brio-R. It's a jolly fine system, my only gripe being that it sounds a tad (too) clean for my tastes and compared to my own system (P9/Apheta with Nagra BPS and NAIT Two).

..that's a very tasteful system.

I'd be curious how a RP10 would sound in your system in comparison to the P9,
but you haven't tried this I suppose..? :)

Markus are you trying an RP10 against your Garrard at home ?
Share a few thoughts about your findings, if you don't mind.. :)

I'd be curious how a RP10 would sound in your system in comparison to the P9,
but you haven't tried this I suppose..? :)

As he and me live 40 km apart this is not a very easy thing to do (neither of us has a car). But then I believe that the differences between the phono preamps are much greater than those between P9 and RP10.

Regards, Willem

Markus are you trying an RP10 against your Garrard at home ?
Share a few thoughts about your findings, if you don't mind.. :)

I'm trying to get a home demo of an RP10, but it's not that easy over here in Germany. Should it ever happen, I'll be sure to post about it.

As he and me live 40 km apart this is not a very easy thing to do (neither of us has a car). But then I believe that the differences between the phono preamps are much greater than those between P9 and RP10.

Regards, Willem

I'll drive one of you if I am allowed to sit in on the comparison.

FatElvisForever,

I think I am right in saying that we are working on a TT speed disc as all others we have tried have been inaccurate in some way, will find out and let you know.

PD
So, let's be clear about this. Rega is now claiming that every TT disc they have tested is inaccurate in some way. No doubt you will quickly support that claim with solid evidence. Being a responsible, ethical, manufacturer and all that.

I'm still curious to hear a more in depth review. I've seen the TONE audio and that other one....but I'm curious how it compares to an RP8 (pound for pound) and also to other highly lauded decks in that price range.

I'm wanting it to be a major winner, but somehow it's release has been a bit fanfareless.

I'm in the process of comparing my new RP8/A2 to my old RP6/Exact2 and prior to that P3-2000/Dyn10x-5. For me the RP6/E2 was better in every area compared to the P3/Dyna. Using the Aria this might be expected. Nonetheless, the jump was more revolutionary than evolutionary.

For the RP6 to 8 jump, I would say the jump is more evolutionary, with the exception of the top end and overall speed of replay. The 8/A2 has an overall sense of complete musical freedom that sounds more natural and real by comparison, and this is ultimately heightened during complex musical passages where complete note separation wasn't audible with the 6/E2. [Note: I've taken Rega's suggestion and use 100ohm resistance loading for the Apheta 2, even though Dorgay thought <70ohm resistance gave better results on the A1. I took forum feedback on the overall superiority of the 2 vs 1 and assumed Rega got the matching exactly where they want it with 100 ohms.] The 8/A2 top end I think is the ultimate differentiator on the speed of replay being more natural, but that shouldn't be taken as a detraction on the bass. I haven't listened to enough bass heavy music, but early indications are that the 8/A2's bass while better, isn't as drastic an improvement as the treble was. This might have to do with how good the 6/E2's bass already was.

This leads to the natural question of how the 8, w/ Apheta 2, compares to the 10 vis-a-vis. It's interesting that Rega push the Aria as a good solution for both TT / cartridge combos. I would have suspected them to have pushed the IOS as the preferred solution for the 10/A2 more than they have thus far. Regardless, it would be very nice to see a forum member thoroughly compare the two decks with the same cart. A change of superior phono amps (i.e. Aria vs. IOS) could also potentially be an interesting variable to control in the context of this review.

So, let's be clear about this. Rega is now claiming that every TT disc they have tested is inaccurate in some way. No doubt you will quickly support that claim with solid evidence. Being a responsible, ethical, manufacturer and all that.

They are all only as good as the lathe they were cut on compounded by the accuracy of the centre hole pressing.

We've used paulr's fm demodulation speed analysis on loads of decks, many using my analogue productions 3150hz test tone track. We then redid them with a copy of the German DIN test record and hey presto improved results with no other changes to system.

Sadly that is long out of print now.

The recent iPhone supported apps and discs are well, shit in comparison.

I'd happily pay £50 for a brand new DIN quality test record, and I think a lot of other people would as well. Speed accuracy is the cornerstone of all vinyl playback.

advertisement

Back