advertisement

Rega RP10 - experience?

Markus S

41 - 29
I currently have a Loricraft Garrard 401 which I am quite happy with except for one aspect: The deck is physically a bit on the large side for my liking. The only substantially more compact alternative that would make sense to me seems to be the RP10. Before anyone mentions the LP12 - been there, done that, not really my cup of fair-trade organic darjeeling.

There should be a number of RP10s in the wild by now. Anybody bought one? How would you describe its sonics, and how does it compare to whatever else you listened to?

Markus,

I can't speak directly for the RP10, but I recently bought an RP8, replacing an SME20/3 which was too much money tied up for not enough use.

The RP8 is a very good sounding deck, clear deep bass with a wide well defined soundstage and a lively presentation. If the RP10 is better, and I'm sure it is, it will be well worth an audition.

the presentation change from a 401 to any of the upper model Regas is quite marked. Less seems to be added to the information coming from the vinyl, clear, open and quick would be my ''covering'' description of any of the Regas. Not quite the bottom end weight of the Garrard, but still carries the depth, with more clarity.

Heard one for several hours last week; to me it is a rather bright, forward sounding deck. Many people enjoy that type of presentation; it's sort of 'modern ' . But if you lean toward a more traditional analogue sound, it might not work for you. I'd certainly be particularly careful if your system is prone to brightness. If, on the other hand, your system is a bit dull......

Heard one for several hours last week; to me it is a rather bright, forward sounding deck. Many people enjoy that type of presentation; it's sort of 'modern ' . But if you lean toward a more traditional analogue sound, it might not work for you. I'd certainly be particularly careful if your system is prone to brightness. If, on the other hand, your system is a bit dull......

I've heard the Apheta 2 goes a long way towards "taming" the brightness. I actually have an RP10/A2 on order which I hope to pick up in early April as an upgrade to my Project 2-Xperience, so will be able to report in with my findings later this spring.

I heard a RP8 last year and to be honest did not hear the kind of improvements that said "buy me". Plus not a big fan of the look of the skeleton design of the RP8 and RP10. Still hunker after a P9 so then the question then becomes how much better is the RP10 vs the P9? Have yet to hear anyone who has made the switch.

I heard a RP8 last year and to be honest did not hear the kind of improvements that said "buy me". Plus not a big fan of the look of the skeleton design of the RP8 and RP10. Still hunker after a P9 so then the question then becomes how much better is the RP10 vs the P9? Have yet to hear anyone who has made the switch.

I have a P9/RB1000 and having had a listen to the 10 dont think I'll be swapping.

I have both in at the moment and the 10 is clearly superior,whether or not it justifies the extra outlay is for you to decide.

I really like the look of the RP10 and if it's at least as good as the P9 it'll be a corker!

And I agree Clive, I love the plug and play element of Rega decks!

I've plugged and played an original P9 since 1997.

Eighteen years of rockin' in the free wold.

Joe

The original P9 is a nice looking deck with the wood plinth. Not sure I prefer the look of the RP10 even though it might sound better.

The original P9 is a nice looking deck with the wood plinth. Not sure I prefer the look of the RP10 even though it might sound better.

Hi Guys:
Have to agree with you on that one this one, the P9 looks real smart and very nice. The new RP series with the skeletal plinths don’t do much for me. It might sound good but for me, a turntable has to look good as well.

LPSpinner

In the mid 80's acquired a LP12, eventually maxed it out by mid90's but got tired of the constant adjusting especially spring and fall...kinda like guitars behave but a lot more hassle. Sold the LP12 off and lived with a P2 for a number of years. When the new RP3 hit bought one and over time due to my dealers full trade in policy moved up the line RP6...RP8 to the RP10/Apheta1/Aria. My rig is Naim SN2/HCAPDR and the synergy between the two is fantastic. I tried it with the Rega Elicit and it's equally fantastic just a different presentation. I hear the Apheta2 is substantially improved over the A1. I'll be trying one out soon. The RP10 is expensive but worth the money IMO as it retrieves mass amounts from the grooves and is very musical. Love the frame and use mine bare without the outer plinth and dust cover. Makes a small footprint which I like and easy access. Demo one for your own ears but it's a most excellent piece of kit.

If you have a worn or damages Apheta, it can be returned to Rega for a complete rebuild but I don't believe they will p/x for a 2.

Maybe Paul Darwin will confirm one way or t'other.

Markus,

Are there not smaller plinths for the 401 that would suit? I'd have thought this is the most cost effective solution, and you can probably sell your existing plinth too.

I've plugged and played an original P9 since 1997.

Eighteen years of rockin' in the free wold.

Joe

Are you not tempted by a 10 then Joe? I must say, I'm very much aligned with the design principles employed (though I would add more isolation :)).

advertisement

Back