advertisement

Rega P8 or Technics SL1200G

Technics SL1200G or Rega Planar 8

• Technics

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Rega

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters
What is the origin of the wobble? Is the bearing shaft off vertical or something else?

I don't own a Technics it must be said, but I would think the problem is more likely to lie along the lines you mention. Unless there's a problem with the brass aluminium lamination, I'd be surprised if the platter is at fault as there should be no problem at all machining it to tighter tolerances than 0.28mmm.

Just how wide spread is this issue, I owned a Sl1200G when it first came out and the platter was perfectly flat?

Online forums these days have the trouble of turning a minor issue into a full blown major disaster, Years ago, a dealer would have just replaced it and no more would have been said about it!

I noticed mine had a slight wobble one day when I set it to 78rpm. Panasonic said unless it’s scrapping on the plinth it’s ok. It’s the bi-metal construction of the platter.
I had a bit of a confidence wobble at first but then calmed down. Records have far greater intolerances and it just sounds so darn good...

Well I love my 1200G. But I suspect if I had bought a Planar 8 I'd be just as happy..... however, having had the technics for a while I have a horrible feeling I'd not be able to return to a belt drive now.

If you want british & world class would add this one recently launched at munich

image.php

It wouldn’t be Munich without some turntables but the good news is that while some of them (as we shall cover) were very spendy indeed, one of the most interesting was pretty terrestrially priced. The Vertere Dynamic Groove is the most affordable turntable that the company has ever designed and to achieve the performance in mind, it has approached a number of design aspects with a completely fresh outlook. The result is a turntable that costs £2,850 with a cartridge (by comparison, ticking all the boxes on a ‘big’ Vertere takes you well into six figures) and looks absolutely brilliant. A quick demonstration suggested that this is going to be a very important turntable indeed.

Touraj was in town a few months ago and had the Dynamic Groove up against his SG-1 (one tier off the TOTL one). Of course the SG-1 (with mega expensive RG-1 Reference Motor Drive, Reference arm and Topwing Red Sparrow cartridge) was better (focus, dynamics, weight) but for the money the Dynamic Groove was surprisingly close. Law of diminishing returns in full force.

@Konteebos

Has your SL1200G arrived yet? I ordered one from Brady's at the weekend and they were rather vague about when I could expect delivery - as in they couldn't give me a date.

@Konteebos

Has your SL1200G arrived yet? I ordered one from Brady's at the weekend and they were rather vague about when I could expect delivery - as in they couldn't give me a date.
Still waiting, Doug Brady called just after I placed the order to say that their estimate was 2-3 weeks - it will be 3 weeks tommorow.

Still waiting, Doug Brady called just after I placed the order to say that their estimate was 2-3 weeks - it will be 3 weeks tommorow.

@Konteebos

Don't worry about it.
They gave me a firm date when I ordered mine, and then I got irritable when the date slipped. They are tied to Technics shipping dates.

Don't worry about it.
They gave me a firm date when I ordered mine, and then I got irritable when the date slipped. They are tied to Technics shipping dates.

Thanks, that's more or less what they said to me. I was just wondering how long others had to wait - impatience I know.

They did say there were two people in front of me in the queue, so I'm not expecting anything to happen in the next week or two.

Thanks, that's more or less what they said to me. I was just wondering how long others had to wait - impatience I know.

They did say there were two people in front of me in the queue, so I'm not expecting anything to happen in the next week or two.

When the Rega Planar 2 first came out in the late 70s I ordered one from Brady's when they were in Smithdown Road - quoted waiting time was 7 months. 3 weeks is nothing ;)

When the Rega Planar 2 first came out in the late 70s I ordered one from Brady's when they were in Smithdown Road - quoted waiting time was 7 months. 3 weeks is nothing ;)

Well, it was one of the only four turntables you were allowed to buy back then - Dual CS505, Planar 2, Planar 3 and LP12) <grin>.

I was never tempted myself, I didn't think the Rega's looked like good value for money. That's probably just a perception on my part and not the reality. I've always felt that about the Regas, and it's one of the reasons I discounted buying a Planar 8.

I noticed the 1200Gr comes (with free 2M Blue) at half price of 1200G

Surpriced these players allready on sale

Dealer here in Dublin was quoting Sept/Oct delivery for an order in June, so three weeks is pretty good!! I'm going to hold out for news on Planar 10 before deciding what I do (currently on the original RP8)

I don't do patience very well unfortunately!

Nor me, but you have to swallow it.....I don't think you can match that price anywhere else. I've seen used ones selling for almost the same.
I can't see how Technics are making anything on it. Even the packing is like nothing I have ever seen.
And people were complaining about the price of them !

I think the 3 weeks I was quoted went to about 4.5 weeks.

advertisement

Back